HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a couple MFI Ultra Low Profile mounts recently, $100 each at HK Parts. Figured I would post some quick pros and cons, tips, and pics.

Pros:

- LOW profile, indeed--lower than the B&T Low Profile Mounting Rail.

- Easiest rail to mount, as the claw hooks stay in the mount with some pivot pins, even when you complete unscrew & remove the screws.

- Snugs up well to my Zenith Z-5P and Z-5RS, so good fit.

- Works with stock Aimpoint Micro T-2 low mount and also works with Bushnell TRS-25 integrated base with Arms Unlimited QD lever mod.

Cons:

- Seems a bit more sensitive to overtightening, which can lead to sliding up past the mount nubs and not being secure, so ... don't overtighten.

- Rail is a just a tad wider along with less clearance / distance from the rail and the mount's claw rises, so be careful as some sight bases with tight width clearance or longer length will NOT fit, eg. LaRue LT661 or A.R.M.S. #31 QD mounts were a NOGO for me.

Otherwise and overall, I'm pleased with the mounts. Allows for lowest mounting (for me so far) of an Aimpoint T-2, resulting in lower half co-witness, and for the Bushnell TRS-25 with Arms Unlimited QD lever mod it was absolute co-witness, far as I could tell. For the stock Aimpoint low mount, you need to muscle it on a bit, it is tight, but a little downward tap with a plastic hammer on the mount base seated it no problem. You might want to remove the mount crossbar first and then lineup with the rail slot underneath.

I prefer the Aimpoint over the Bushnell, so that's what I'm leaving on for now. I have a Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot on the way, which I will try out, too. I'll try to remember to update with how that looks / works. A bit bummed that I can't use either my LaRue or ARMS QD mounts for the Aimpoint, but no biggie.

Here are some pics ...

thumb_IMG_4619_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_4643_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_4614_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_4616_1024.jpg

Hope this is informative or helps someone else out!

·
Registered
125 Posts
That is excellent info, thank you! I was leaning towards buying this to use with the PA Advanced micro dot, and I think your post just cemented that.

One question. My MKE doesn't have a notch rear sight like that - it only has the four apertures. In your opinion would the top of the rear sight block the dot using this mount?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're welcome! My Zeniths have four apertures on the rotating rear drum, and I'm not sure how that's different than what you're describing ... but if you have a rear sight that you look through and align to view the front sight post, then it is highly likely you will get the same or similar co-witness picture as above with a low mounted red dot.

Honestly, once I put a dot on ANY rail, it is not often after that in a course of fire I will cheek weld so closely (or carefully) to achieve a co-witness of the dot with iron sights. Find target, put dot on target, squeeze / slap trigger, repeat.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the same experience with the MFI mount being wider on the 1913 section, the ARMS #31 mount will not fully seat. The OEM Aimpoint low mount works well, although the optional Aimpoint OEM QD lever system is moot because of the wider MFI mount, it requires tools to remove the cross section and then removal via some considerable force.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts