HKPRO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of signing up for a CCW training course in the State of Michigan. Upon completion, I will be in the need of a handgun holster for my new HK P30. Can anyone provide Michigan details on concealment? Does the handgun need to be totally concealed? Can I utilize an outer belt holster where the handgun can possibly be seen. If the handgun needs to be completely concealed, then small of the back seems to be the best area...many posts defer from small of the back for injury reasons if one slips and falls! Any other holster suggestions?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use an outer belt holster for my concealed weapon in Michigan. You have to pick the right attire to make sure the gun is concealed-ie oversized shirts, etc... May it show if you bend over-sure. I'm sure my gun may imprint thru my shirts at times but unless someone is looking for a gun it will not be very noticeable. The idea of a having a CCW is not to advertise at all that you are carrying.

You will not need a holster for the course. Take your time and try a few out if you can. You will also have all of your questions answered along with recommendations for holsters from your course instructor. It is personal preference in the end and dependent on your body habitus.

By the way, in Michigan you can carry a gun openly on your belt without a CCW. You will definitely get alot of attention from the police doing this in todays world. Once you get a CCW in Michigan your firearm MUST be concealed when on your person.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FNFNC, if it is lawful to carry openly in the state of Michigan without CCW, what, in your opinion, is the advantage of obtaining CCW? The law, from what I can tell, says unloaded in the trunk while driving. Of course, I will discuss this at my training course this weekend...just looking for other opinions and advice. Thanks for your input...

R

·
0 Posts
P30 holster

I also recently acquired a P30. The only holster I have found for it is a Blackhawk Serpa carbon fiber composite part number 410517BK-R. I purchased it from thegunsource.com for $33.02. I love this holster. It has a positive lock with no straps or snaps. When you reach for the pistol, your index finger falls naturally on the release button. This holster is very comfortable and is molded to fit the P30 perfectly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
IMHO the advantages of the CCW in any place is the ability to carry without drawing the unwanted attention you will get if you carry in the open.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have had a michigan CCW for 12yrs, with the CCW you can carry in your vehicle, I have been pulled over twice within the past 2 months and all you have to do is tell the officer that you have a permit and that you are armed when they approach the vehicle. In both instances they have just asked where it was and that was it. I carry a 1911 with a 4 inch barrel in the cold months I carry on the hip on the outside. In the summer I use an IWB holster and a little bigger shirt. Keeping it concealed is always best so you don,t freak people out. Years ago I had walked into a gas station up north after driving 5 hours from the U.P. in a snow storm and had forgot to pull my shirt back down over the Sig I was carrying and the poor attendant freaked out, I had to explain to him I was there for gas and coffee and not the cash register. If no one can see it no one can question it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I only made that mistake once, now I make sure its always covered. I was tired and not thinking and had only been carrying for about a year at the time. Going on twelve years so far. Luckily all of the officers I have encounter are very cool about the issue.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It was understanding of the statute that there is "No open carry" provisioned in MI state law.

Concealed means concealed, a printing pistol through clothes could cause an uneducated or liberal individual to inform a PO that there is some "Gun toting criminal here".

Winter and heavy wearing item days, I use a kydex paddle holster OWB.
Summer days and T-shirt days I use a neoprene IWB, or a neoprene pocket holster for a small semi-auto.

·
Registered
420 Posts
There is no need to draw attention to the fact that you are packing. If you are packing just to look cool and want people to see the tip of your holster or the profile of the revolver in your pants you are packing for the wrong reasons.

Now on that, from what I understand it isn't illegal to have a weapon partially concealed. Just remember you are walking the lind of brandishing if it flashes and a person takes it the wong way. Say you are having an argument with someone point in a direction, the other person sees your holster, your losing your permit and gun and only that if you are lucky.

Having a CPL means for greater responsibility.

For your holster questions. If you havn't already nabbed one I would reccoment to try a few differet positions around your house to find what you like. I like IWB just because I can wear a small T shirt and still be concealed well. I went with the Comp-Tac Ghurka holster for the P30. I am thinking of Small of Back but just think that left handed IWB will be better for small of back just because of the concealment factor again and I can't find one specific for the P30. I figure a P2000 SOB holster will fit, like the one from Galco, but for 100 bucks I don't want to experiment.

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
It was understanding of the statute that there is "No open carry" provisioned in MI state law.

Concealed means concealed.

BINGO!! If you act like a cowboy, you'll be treated like an outlaw. If anybody can tell you're carrying.....it isn't concealed, and room for your ass to be in trouble. I've had mine for nearly 15 years, and only had it visable to one other person, once. He carried also, and knew what to look for. Our current law sucks anyway. Before the statewide push for carry, a "general" permit was far less restrictive. The only thing I like about it, is the ability to walk out of a shop with a pistol....right then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a CCW Instructor. I say if you take the course for Concealed Carry you really should be carrying your weapon concealed. There are plenty of great holsters out there to make it easy to carry concealed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am in the process of signing up for a CCW training course in the State of Michigan. Upon completion, I will be in the need of a handgun holster for my new HK P30. Can anyone provide Michigan details on concealment? Does the handgun need to be totally concealed? Can I utilize an outer belt holster where the handgun can possibly be seen. If the handgun needs to be completely concealed, then small of the back seems to be the best area...many posts defer from small of the back for injury reasons if one slips and falls! Any other holster suggestions?
You need to make an effort to conceal the weapon. IWB works best for me. If you happen to expose the weapon you should be ok as long as there was an effort to conceal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You need to make an effort to conceal the weapon. IWB works best for me. If you happen to expose the weapon you should be ok as long as there was an effort to conceal.
This is about the same thing an officer told me when I ran into an incident awhile back. My gun exposed when i accidentally lifted my shirt tring to get my cell phone out its holster. Someone from a resturant on the other side of the street saw my pistol and called police. When I got home I got a call from the sheriffs office and they said it was ok as long as it was an accident and I was not flashing it to people. This was in Western Michigan.

From what I understand from the laywer from my CCW class, Michigan allows open carry but it is not wise to do so.

·
Registered
89 Posts
From what I understand from the laywer from my CCW class, Michigan allows open carry but it is not wise to do so.

Why doesn’t anyone do this? I never see people carry out in the open. And I never knew you could. Do you need a permit for that or is it just a matter of if you have it carry it? And why if you have a CCW can’t you carry out in the open? You would think if you were trusted to carry concealed then being able to carry out in the open would be no big deal at all.

I lived in Arizona a while and a ton of people carried out in the open. But it’s wildly known that you don’t need to fill out form one to do it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
First off you cannot be arrested for open carrying in MI! as long as the gun is in the holster YOU CANNOT BE CHARGED WITH BRANDISHING. Now i cant say for sure that you wont be stopped or asked. but open carry is legal and i encourage every one who wants to to do so.

having a ccw allows you to carry a loaded firearm in your car, if you dont have a ccw and your pistol is loaded you are breaking MI law

Check out www.opencarry.org they have a ton of info on the subject.

Now i have never had a problem OCing, ive only done it a few times because of the weather. Ive had some strange looks but also a lot of questions from people that are curious as to the legality of it.

as soon as my tax refund comes back im taking the ccw class.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bighunter,

Be very careful! A zealous officer could arrest you for brandishing if your weapon is visible.

Jake
Jake, not so.

Brandishing, in Michigan, means that you've made a threat using the firearm. If you lift your shirt, showing your weapon while in an argument, that is brandishing. If your pistol becomes visible when you bend over, etc., that is not.

This was explained to me by a friend of mine who is a chief prosecutor in a county here in Michigan, and by the police officer who taught the CPL class.

As others have mentioned, if your gun becomes visible, you lose the advantage of concealment. However, it doesn't make you a lawbreaker.

Best,
Dennis

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.