HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm about to start with a small PD here that will let you use whatever you want as long as you qualify with it...

I don't have my last duty pistol (M&P9) anymore. I have a Mk23, Five Seven and a M&P9c.

I'm thinking of either carrying the Five Seven (with T6 or S4M ammo from EA (or even SS9198LF), it will ballistically be just fine for me) or the Mk23...

what do you guys think :D

(i'll have to order the holster quick since I'm a lefty, so it won't be in stock, and will probably have to be ordered from safari)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
what are my options for a holster for this thing?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Personally, I think it is very do-able as a dedicated duty-gun. If you are comfortable and smooth in the handling of it, then I'd say it is a great idea. Would love to see a pic of you in uniform wearing that setup (you could blur out the name of your dept and your badge #).

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I emailed safariland and asked, let's see what they say. if they can get one to me in 3 weeks or so, this might just work. if not, i'll be carrying a sig p226 or the five seven (just as hard to find a holster)

my buddy carries a P226 elite, and it weights 42oz. so I know weight won't be an issue. lol (mk 23 is 43 oz)

I'll be sure to get a pic if I get the holster and carry it. hopefully the new dept won't have an issue with a thigh holster.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
I love my Safariland thigh-rigs, but it's difficult getting to your weapon when seated in a squad car. Also, I believe the farther a gun is from your center/waist, the less control you will have over it if someone is fighting to get your gun (ground fighting/weapon retention).

I won't even comment on the FiveseveN for duty...you should simply know better than that.

And ask yourself this:
Are you ok in parting with your expensive toy in the event you using in an OIS on duty? If it comes back, it won't be in pristine condition anymore.

·
Registered
166 Posts
When I get a second one, it will be my duty weapon as well.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have no experience in law enforcement but I would think that a Mark 23 would be an unnecesary PITA to deal with in a traditional law enforcement application. Why not just go with a USP45T in stead and save yourself the extra gear and issues? Just my two cents...

·
Registered
437 Posts
I grew up as a police officer's kid and I can tell you most of them don't have heaps of money laying around to go buy guns with. He has the Mark, it's a great gun, and perhaps a few punks might think twice about how lucky they feel when they see him toting it. I personally am all for it and hope you will find a carry rig that suits your needs.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I grew up as a police officer's kid and I can tell you most of them don't have heaps of money laying around to go buy guns with. He has the Mark, it's a great gun, and perhaps a few punks might think twice about how lucky they feel when they see him toting it. I personally am all for it and hope you will find a carry rig that suits your needs.
Wasnt trying to strike a nerve there just stating the obvious. I also understand the money thing seeing an entire half of my family are in law enforcement and I have grown up with it my entire life. I'm not rolling in cash myself either, but when it comes to making decisions on what I am going to carry everyday I would rather start with the purpose of a firearm, or what I am going to use it for, and then cater a specific gun into that role, not the other way around.

That being said, I have never heard of any law enforcement officer worth anything needing to make a statement or gain "street cred" based on what firearms they carried. I was just looking at it as a purely practical application thing and nothing more.

When it comes to firearms people are going to do what they are going to do and carry what they are going to carry regardless of our opinons. I was just stating my opinion at perhaps a more practical and user friendly choice for a duty gun based off the physical needs of carrying a duty gun that large, and the fact that the UPS45T shares many of the same attributes of the Mark 23.

·
Banned
60 Posts
I was just stating my opinion at perhaps a more practical and user friendly choice for a duty gun based off the physical needs of carrying a duty gun that large, and the fact that the UPS45T shares many of the same attributes of the Mark 23.

He is looking to carry it Overtly..... What does it matter how big the firearm is?

Yes you are right!! he should totally spend another thousand so that he can save: (compared to USP tactical .45)

1 inch length
0 inches height
.24 inches width
6.08 ounces weight (with magazine)

FOR AN INFERIOR FIREARM

This whole myth that the Mark 23 is the size of a desert eagle needs to die.... like yesterday

TL , DR Spending $1000 for a firearm that is not as good to save an inch in length and a couple of ounces is stupid for Overt carry.

SOURCES:
Heckler & Koch - USA

Heckler & Koch - USA

·
Registered
619 Posts
He is looking to carry it Overtly..... What does it matter how big the firearm is?

Yes you are right!! he should totally spend another thousand so that he can save: (compared to USP tactical .45)

1 inch length
0 inches height
.24 inches width

FOR AN INFERIOR FIREARM

This whole myth that the Mark 23 is the size of a desert eagle needs to die.... like yesterday

TL , DR Spending $1000 for a firearm that is not as good to save an inch in length and a couple of ounces is stupid for Overt carry.

SOURCES:
Heckler & Koch - USA

Heckler & Koch - USA
Once again...it was my opinion and what exactly are you calling an inferior firearm?? A USP45T? That one kind of baffles me.. Please educate me on what exactly the Mark 23 has over the USP45T in THIS application? Is this duty gun going to be going over the beach or submerged in saltwater while on duty? I am just saying, I dont see the advantages of a Mark 23 in a law enforcement application, whether it is carried overtly or not. (Thanks for clearing that up as well.)

Here is what I am going off of which you can readily search these forums to find yourself:

1. The USP45T spawned off the end users of the Mark 23 asking for an extremely similar pistol in terms of caliber, function, and design of the Mark 23 in a more compact "user friendly" design. (That one is also in the HK catalog for 2011 if I am remembering correctly.)

2. There is actually a thread on this forum coming from a member who has first hand knowledge of the Mark 23 and its reputation in certain end user communities and actually states that most of them end up "staying in the armory" for the above reason. Not my words, his.

3. I never said or implied that it couldnt be done. I simply stated that it might not be the best choice for a LEO duty gun in terms of holster selection. (which another proifessional on this very thread mentioned might not be the best choice in the field.)

And in addition brother, you would be surprised what a difference that 6.08 ounces can make in a matter of hours carrying it around every day. BUT, it can be done and I am not here to tell anyone what to carry or not to carry. As has been said numerous times here in one way or another, we are here to share info and once you put something in a thread openly it is fair game. I have not knocked and will not knock anyone for their choice of firearm selection unless it is completley absurd which this thread IS NOT. I am just throwing my .02 in.

To the OP, carry what you want to carry and I am not trying to dissuade you at all. If you want a tree trunk in a thigh holster than more power to you. I have shot them and love them hands down. However, I will gladly take my USPC or USPT as my daily sidearm any day.

OH and by the way alexahr2008, welcome to the forum! Quite an entrance you made, but welcome nonetheless.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Tater, no struck nerve and I am sorry if it sounded like you did in my reply. You are correct about the USP45T sharing many of the best attributes of the Mark 23 in a much more practical design. I was just trying to say that for the original poster, the main advantage of the Mark 23 is that he has one. He sounded like he wanted to know which of his currently owned pistols we would recommend he carry. At least that is what I got from it.

·
None Sluttier
79 Posts
Disclaimer: Not LEO.

I'm gonna get flamed for this :440: ...

I love my Mk23. But it's a collector piece that I shoot occasionally for fun.

There are guys who have no problems lugging around a $2,000-$3,000 pistol for self defense or even as a duty gun ... but I cringe at the prospect of having one of these rusting in an evidence locker for a year or so.

The Mk23 has one looooong ass trigger pull that takes a little getting used to.

I'm much more proficient with say, a Glock 17, which I might have about $700 into, after upgrading the sights, slide, and mag release, etc.

The only situation I would envision using a Mk23 over a Glock 17 for defensive purposes is in a maritime or very wet environment (the Mk23 is capable of firing partially submerged). (Yes, I have wet spring cups in my G17).

I think the HK45 would be a much more practical carry piece, frankly, I shoot it better than the Mk23. YMMV.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Disclaimer: Not LEO.

I'm gonna get flamed for this :440: ...

I love my Mk23. But it's a collector piece that I shoot occasionally for fun.

There are guys who have no problems lugging around a $2,000-$3,000 pistol for self defense or even as a duty gun ... but I cringe at the prospect of having one of these rusting in an evidence locker for a year or so.

The Mk23 has one looooong ass trigger pull that takes a little getting used to.

I'm much more proficient with say, a Glock 17, which I might have about $700 into, after upgrading the sights, slide, and mag release, etc.

The only situation I would envision using a Mk23 over a Glock 17 for defensive purposes is in a maritime or very wet environment (the Mk23 is capable of firing partially submerged). (Yes, I have wet spring cups in my G17).

I think the HK45 would be a much more practical carry piece, frankly, I shoot it better than the Mk23. YMMV.
Thanks, thing is. I already have the Mk23. I had a M&P 9 for previous duty, but it was issued to me, and I had to give it back. if I spend the money, that's what I will get again. and they don't stay in an evidence locker for a year. about a month. been there done that (well, my friend did.. not me. and that was at metro dade)

the perfect duty weapon IMO, finding the proper retention holster would be your only issue really.............
if you can carry a drop leg holster these are nice and used by the military.
Model 6005 SLS Tactical Holster w/ Quick Release Leg Harness | Safariland™
I'm trying to find one of these...

Tater, no struck nerve and I am sorry if it sounded like you did in my reply. You are correct about the USP45T sharing many of the best attributes of the Mark 23 in a much more practical design. I was just trying to say that for the original poster, the main advantage of the Mark 23 is that he has one. He sounded like he wanted to know which of his currently owned pistols we would recommend he carry. At least that is what I got from it.
Indeed. this is a very small dept and I have to pay for my own uniforms and all that, had to pay for my own pysch, poly and all. Really don't want a glock (which I can get) but I don't have the money for a USP pistol right now. I already have the Mk23.

1 inch length
0 inches height
.24 inches width

FOR AN INFERIOR FIREARM

SOURCES:
Heckler & Koch - USA

Heckler & Koch - USA
Mk23 isn't that big. it weighs as much as a P226 Elite SS (a 9mm all metal pistol) it's long because of the threaded barrel.

Wasnt trying to strike a nerve there just stating the obvious. I also understand the money thing seeing an entire half of my family are in law enforcement and I have grown up with it my entire life. I'm not rolling in cash myself either, but when it comes to making decisions on what I am going to carry everyday I would rather start with the purpose of a firearm, or what I am going to use it for, and then cater a specific gun into that role, not the other way around.

That being said, I have never heard of any law enforcement officer worth anything needing to make a statement or gain "street cred" based on what firearms they carried. I was just looking at it as a purely practical application thing and nothing more.

When it comes to firearms people are going to do what they are going to do and carry what they are going to carry regardless of our opinons. I was just stating my opinion at perhaps a more practical and user friendly choice for a duty gun based off the physical needs of carrying a duty gun that large, and the fact that the UPS45T shares many of the same attributes of the Mark 23.
If I had a USP45T, I would do it.

Blade Tech offers a Level Two jacket slot Kydex duty holster for the Mk23.

Level II Duty Holster w/Tek-Lok :: Duty Holsters :: Blade-Tech Industries
I'll check that out, thanks

Indeed

I have no experience in law enforcement but I would think that a Mark 23 would be an unnecesary PITA to deal with in a traditional law enforcement application. Why not just go with a USP45T in stead and save yourself the extra gear and issues? Just my two cents...
Wanna buy me one? :p

When I get a second one, it will be my duty weapon as well.
I think it will be pretty badass and great weapon. can't get more reliable.

I love my Safariland thigh-rigs, but it's difficult getting to your weapon when seated in a squad car. Also, I believe the farther a gun is from your center/waist, the less control you will have over it if someone is fighting to get your gun (ground fighting/weapon retention).

I won't even comment on the FiveseveN for duty...you should simply know better than that.

And ask yourself this:
Are you ok in parting with your expensive toy in the event you using in an OIS on duty? If it comes back, it won't be in pristine condition anymore.
I'm a lefty, and it's even worse. the seatbelt always catches on the belt holsters. maybe this way it won't do that?

I know about the OIS event on duty. my friend just had it happen and get his P226 SS elite taken away. he reverted to something else until he gets it back.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Another option you have is to sell the MK 23, if you don't price it at $3,300 like the guy on gun broker right now it won't be hard to get rid of. Then you will have a good amount of cash to go buy whatever you want. I think you're local to me too because you mentioned "metro dade" I could point you to a few places where you would get a good deal on a new pistol for being Leo and one place that also has half a store full of nothing but clothing and holsters.

FM

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
what do you guys think :D
This is the sentence I keep coming back to after reading this thread. But something tells me you are looking for "justification" to carry the Mk23. The Five7 is out, of course. So personally, I'd go with the M&P9C.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Asking purely because I am not in anyway knowledgeable about it, what is so bad about the FN 5-7?

And I can understand why our OP might be reluctant to part with his Mark 23 to trade over for a more practical platform. HKs are like kids; even when you get a new one you don't want to give up the old ones (well actually there are days when I want to get rid of all my kids but that's a whole different story). And getting a new one always ends up costing you more than you expected it to. Maybe he might want to consider shopping around for a good deal some time in the future, but if he is strapping on one of the guns he has right now, the Mark 23 is the one to go with.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Asking purely because I am not in anyway knowledgeable about it, what is so bad about the FN 5-7?

And I can understand why our OP might be reluctant to part with his Mark 23 to trade over for a more practical platform. HKs are like kids; even when you get a new one you don't want to give up the old ones (well actually there are days when I want to get rid of all my kids but that's a whole different story). And getting a new one always ends up costing you more than you expected it to. Maybe he might want to consider shopping around for a good deal some time in the future, but if he is strapping on one of the guns he has right now, the Mark 23 is the one to go with.
that question will steer this whole thread in another direction. most people don't believe the caliber is suitable for self defense. and it really makes sense... who would wanna carry a self defense gun that only shoots 30 grain bullets? I always revert back to Ft Hood shootings, I revert to the hundreds dead by mexican cartels with this pistol. I also mention Elite ammunition's very expensive duty/self defense rounds.

Most people will not see it, and only compare weight of bullet, size of bullet, speed of bullet, and it's intended way of creating damage. It is something I try not to get involved in. same with 9mm vs 45 debates. I know the round works, I've seen it work. I'm not much about scientific data. I look at facts from the past

if you care to look, and like looking at numbers, ballistic gel etc, check this out. brassfetcher reports that EA's S4M ammo will out-energy a .45acp (230gr) JHP round.

http://www.eliteammunition.net/f/Elite_Ammunition_S4M_Kinetic_Energy_Performance_Summary.pdf

please don't debate about this in my thread about carrying a mk23 for duty. it's going to derail this thread and ruin it for me to get some opinions.

This is the sentence I keep coming back to after reading this thread. But something tells me you are looking for "justification" to carry the Mk23. The Five7 is out, of course. So personally, I'd go with the M&P9C.
I think so. I honestly wanted to see what people would think. I asked before if anyone carried it for duty, and came up empty handed, so I wanted opinions.

It honestly sounds a little too big for me to duty carry, but I keep thinking about my buddy who loves carrying his P226 Elite, which weighs the same (42 vs 43 oz) he said, he loves it and weight doesn't bother him much.

Another option you have is to sell the MK 23, if you don't price it at $3,300 like the guy on gun broker right now it won't be hard to get rid of. Then you will have a good amount of cash to go buy whatever you want. I think you're local to me too because you mentioned "metro dade" I could point you to a few places where you would get a good deal on a new pistol for being Leo and one place that also has half a store full of nothing but clothing and holsters.

FM
no wayyyy. I can't get rid of her. we're bonded. I rather just go carry a P226 (I like them, but not a huge fan) or buy a MP9 than sell her. lol

I think I know where you are talking about (Lou's) I buy pretty much all my stuff there

1 - 20 of 145 Posts