HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, HK People -

I am putting in an order for some Milt Sparks VM2's and was wondering what people thought of the leather options.

I know that horsehide is more moisture-resistant, etc., and that cowhide supposedly forms to the gun better, etc.

Can anyone offer their experiences with Milt Sparks holsters in these various leathers? Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello, HK People -

I am putting in an order for some Milt Sparks VM2's and was wondering what people thought of the leather options.

I know that horsehide is more moisture-resistant, etc., and that cowhide supposedly forms to the gun better, etc.

Can anyone offer their experiences with Milt Sparks holsters in these various leathers? Thanks!
I got my VMII in horsehide, "feels" smoother than the cow versions. Dunno if that translates into anything relevant but it is what it is.

Get both-sell the one you don't like on the 'bay or here. Same wait for one or two.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Never tried the horsehide, but my Milt Sparks cowhide would be hard to beat. I've had it about ten years and it's held up extremely well. The fit is perfect for my P9S and it wears comfortably.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The horsehide can be very "squeaky" -- speaking from personal experience. I bought one several years ago for a 3" 1911 and while the holster was flawless, it drove me nuts that it was very noisy when worn. Yes, I did try to 'break-in' the holster as much as possible, but the symptoms were still there.

The slightest bit of movement and I'd hear this c-r-e-e-k... As I recall, the annoyance level did go down a bit as it. I don't know if I just got use to the noise or it went away on its own.

I eventually sold the Kimber and the holster. It was the only time I was happy to be rid of a VM-2. :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't own a horsehide holster, but have been eyeballing the Kramer line. I think I recall reading that their horse leather is more "hard use" and will last longer than the same product made from a moo cow. Also mentioned in the fact that horse leather is harder to get dye into, the finish may not be to your liking if appearance is important. Fist looks to have some good products at decent prices between the lowest cost on the market and the highest, they may get my next nod when in the search for a new rig. I just bought my second from Don Hume, the first an IWB for a Glock 26, left some to be desired, but ran me about $40 shipped. By comparison a similar product for my 40C from Gun Leather USA cost a bit less and is far superior than even a rig at twice the price. The second Hume is very nice, a open bottom w/ thumbsnap style (accepts all barrel lengths) in black finish for a 2.5" Smith 686+ that's very well put together right at $50 shipped.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I like the horsehide better. I have a Watch-6 for my SK in horsehide and a cow leather VM-2 for my P7M8. The horse is thinner and seems a little more "dense" if that makes any sense. The draw is easier too, but that may not be a fair comparison being different guns.

S

·
0 Posts
I don't own one, but I've heard that even on the cowhide ones, the backing is horsehide for sweat protection. Seems like the best of both worlds to me. Hopefully someone here can confirm/deny this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
does anyone have pics with a p2000sk and the vm2 being worn? From what i have read, seems like the one I want to go with. Just would like a "installed view".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, someone at Milt SParks told me the VM2 is horsehide on the body-side and cowhide on the gun-side, standard, or you can get all horsehide.

I would also like to see pics of a p2000sk in this rig or any Milt Sparks rig if anyone has them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The rep I spoke to on the phone told me it didn't matter, that they just stock it for the people that want it. A few of the other holster makers told me the same thing.

I went with cow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts