HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally made to range and shot a couple guns that I bought during my last deployment. One of which was a MK 23. It shot fine as expected, until I tried put on the fake can that came with it. After I installed the can, every round either stove piped or failed to eject. I know that the MK 23 was built to fire +P ammo and I was shooting shooting standard UMC ball. I am really confused, the fake suppressor is nothing more than a barrell extention and should really effect the blow back pressure or am I off base on my assumation?

Thanks for the help

·
Banned
125 Posts
had that problem with my beretta 92. I added a compensator on the threaded barrel. I found out after troubleshooting it for the weeks after that there's 3 things that was causing that to happen:
The extra weight of the compensator on the barrel, the recoil spring, and the type of ammo i was using.

In your case that fake suppressor came with your gun so i'm guessing its made to shoot with it from factory so it maybe a weak recoil spring or the ammo your using. Get a lighter recoil spring or some hotter ammo and it may fix the problem.

also with hk pistols timing i learn during that time researching could be the issue. There was an oring that was place on the threads before adding a compensator that could fix that problem too. But these HK forum guys here probably know more about that then me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

·
Banned
125 Posts
when i was having that problem i was about to get a new barrel attachment and i seen this:

Also, we have added several upgrades to the design a factory HK German 9mm cal O-ring to each flash hider to aid in "timing" the flash hider once installed (to your desired position) and to help aide in an enhanced fit for each barrel.
9mm pistol flash hider - HKPARTS.NET

no problems, just trying to get my post count up :440:

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
UMC is some lightly loaded stuff. I'd try hotter ammo before replacing any parts. I suggest trying some S&B or Speer Lawman. Just shooting casually, there should reasonably be no way one could wear out the recoil spring in a Mark 23.

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
2,682 Posts
had that problem with my beretta 92. I added a compensator on the threaded barrel. I found out after troubleshooting it for the weeks after that there's 3 things that was causing that to happen:

WOW! Nice gun!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Is it the fake KAC can that came with the MK23s a few years back? It is not recommended to shoot those, they are for looks only.

·
Banned
125 Posts
well its not the wearing out of the recoil spring that's the problem, its the weight of the slide. By adding a fake can there's ore force needed to move t back once shot. By adding a lighter recoil spring that will be les force needed to move it back in a timely manner. I added a MAC11 compensator to a beretta 92. that part wasn't made for the beretta slide. I take it that fake can you adding was so chances are just change the ammo. Its the easiest way to fix it. you could do the recoil spring idea but it depends, you planning on using light ammo alot more than standard or p+?

Just play around testing the different theories until you get it. It took a couple trips and testing of ammos before i understood that certain ammos work better then other with my pistol setup. after testing different ammo brands i found these from walmart to run flawlessly in MY gun. your gun will be different of course (different caliber and make). Also if it does come down to testing different recoil springs be VERY careful. A lighter recoil spring mean more wear on the frame of the gun. I have to agree with H&K 4 LIFE in just testing ammos first.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Why would you ever, ever, ever put a fake can on the beautiful MK-23?

Here is my Mark 23 with my Ti-Rant 45 can. Most beautiful.

Anyway all kidding aside. What is the purpose of a fake suppressor?

·
Registered
90 Posts
for looks. Some of us can't afford real ones...too busy buying hk guns
Good point but if you can afford a Mark 23 surely you can afford a can. Sorry if your name ain't surely. Lol

·
Banned
125 Posts
Shurely is my middle name and as a person about to spend $1800 on a mp5 the suppressor going to have to wait. I feel his pain. that's the reason i put that comp on my pistol, i could say it was to stabilize it but the real reason was to have that can free and look. :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good point but if you can afford a Mark 23 surely you can afford a can. Sorry if your name ain't surely. Lol
Patton,

As I wrote when I posed the question, I just got back from deployement. Althought my Chief LEO is a great guys, he won't sign forms through the mail. Also, The military police at both Bagram and Kandahar will only do finger print card if they arrest you. My last Class 3 dealer went out of business. I bought my Mk 23 and HKPro HK45 through Straightgrain but he is five hours away. Finally, I haven't decided if I want a suppressor for my MP5 or MK 23. I tried the fake can to see how much weight a real one would add to try to see which I would like better.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
WOW... Nice sink!!
At least he does not have his naked big toe in the picture like so many do when they post pictures. I swear if I never see a big toe again it will be too soon, HK boards or anywhere else.

Many fake cans are not made to be shot through, but you can and it will not blow up the pistol, usually. But if they are too heavy they will most certainly stop them from functioning. Remember when the AAC Blackside first came out they did not put a recoil booster on it. Many HKs would not cycle with it. Now they do have the recoil booster and work much more reliably. Fake cans rarely have the recoil booster so if they weigh more than about 9 ounces they are going to stop up the works, no matter how much your paid for your pistol. You pistol was designed to shoot without a can, with a can, but not with a fake can.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Patton,

As I wrote when I posed the question, I just got back from deployement. Althought my Chief LEO is a great guys, he won't sign forms through the mail. Also, The military police at both Bagram and Kandahar will only do finger print card if they arrest you. My last Class 3 dealer went out of business. I bought my Mk 23 and HKPro HK45 through Straightgrain but he is five hours away. Finally, I haven't decided if I want a suppressor for my MP5 or MK 23. I tried the fake can to see how much weight a real one would add to try to see which I would like better.
Thats cool brother. An MP5 suppressed is very cool. I wish I could afford one. $20 grand now. Ouch!! What branch are you in?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for everyone's answers!

Guys, thanks to all for the help, by answering my question.

Pattoon, I am a Texas Army National Guard NCO. I also deploy with my civilian job.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts