HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find a good excuse to get one. It's hard to spend 2k on a polymer gun though, even if it is the legend.

Are there any practical, non-range related reasons to own a MK23? It's far too big for a CCW, but what other practical self defense applications can it be used for?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
When all else fails I always tell myself that I will be able to make more money off of them in the long run. Being a gun collector I gave up on "Practicality" a long time ago.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Regardless of what use it is nothing short of a phenomenal piece of hardware and is worth every cent to take to the range!!! Just my two cents!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
I equate it to the PSG-1 in that while desirability and collectability will always remain high, but its practicality (especially if price is factored) is relatively low given the other options available.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I love mine. It is one of the best shooting gun I've ever shot. I would say it makes a great HD firearm for 2 reasons.
1. Proven reliability of .45 and its ability to shoot .45 +p
2. When you run out of bullets it doubles as a bat.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I just don't think your going to get any extra practicality out of the 23 when compared to a USP, Tactical or Expert or HK45/c.The limited trigger variation and seperate decocker/safety means I will probably never buy one and work against practicality for me. It may be fun for the range or for the collector but for hd, CCW or car I would pick one of HKs other 45s.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
"practical" is NOT in the Mark 23's description. Overbuilt, oversized, accurate, dependable, expensive, unique............
but definetely not practical, but nobody ever said it was. it's not for everyone thats for sure, and there will always be
detractors and those who understand and embrace its positives.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It may serve no practical purpose at all for you, but sometimes "just because" is reason enough. Life is too short to not have a few things you bought for no other reason than you wanted them.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I dont even own one. If I did, it would be the only pistol I would carry on a 2 week camping trip in the High Country in Montana, stuffed full of .45 Super of course!! =)~

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm have to agree on the lack of practicality of the MK23. But then again I have made gun purchases myself with absolutely no practicality in mind.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
While I usually preach everything for a purpose, there is a level of Coolness that sometimes I don't even consider and I should. It's a very unique Military firearm and just owning one to collect or fun shoot are worthy reasons in my book. (Same with the P7's.)

It does what it needs to and it has history. I wouldn't choose to carry it personally but if you need it to do work, it will.

Sometimes you own things for no reason at all and you can still be happy with them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
"practical" is NOT in the Mark 23's description. Overbuilt, oversized, accurate, dependable, expensive, unique............
but definetely not practical, but nobody ever said it was. it's not for everyone thats for sure, and there will always be
detractors and those who understand and embrace its positives.
Well said, MEW

1 - 20 of 47 Posts