HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if this is normal wear on the locking block of my MK23 or a defect in the finish. I circled the areas I am talking about in red.
IMG_0804rs.jpg
Thank you

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
I purchased a New Mark 23 last weekend, it has the same blemish as your on the forward left corner of the block.
If and when I decide to shot it, I assume the wear marks will continue.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
It really is completely normal . I know , I know , but it really is . It is the paint , or whatever it's called . You still have complete protection against corrosion .

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Nope, a little less than 2 G actually . No need for sarcasm , it's the real deal . Read up on the history , it's a good story !

·
Super Moderator
6,058 Posts
Normal sadly, the MARK 23 is so tough, it beats itself up....well the finish. You'll never kill that gun.

It will also get to a point where it almost stops, then wears evenly to a point, then stops from there.

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,471 Posts
That wear issue is the most common complaint on the Mark 23 pistols. It has been addressed several times from customers through customer service and the repair shop back to Germany, but has not been addressed. The simple fix would be to have just a standard finish like the other USP barrels, but the Mark 23 is a tribute to the MK23 and it had a requirement for such a finish in order to reduce glare off that area which might interfere with sight acquisition.
Its a shame that a more resilient finish could not be incorporated.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
The Mark 23 is probably the most lethal paint scraper in the world ! One of the best at working in those hard to get to , or out off " tight " places . I gotta go ....

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
On a MARK 23 the wear is really just part of the breaking-in process. The only real problem posed by this wear to the finish is when you try to sell a used MARK 23 to someone who doesn't know about the "normal" break-in wear. People unfamiliar with the MARK 23 are convinced that you are trying to sell them a worn out gun which simply isn't the case.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Long standing cosmetic issue with the coating. Nothing to worry about as the real qualities of the finish are actually absorbed into the steel itself.

·
Needs Therapy
689 Posts
Here's some pics of my barrel...

And to add, here's some wear on one of my KAC MK23 silencers

There's actually an interesting story to this silencer. The lettering on this silencer was only used to silencers sold to HK as well as less than 50 of the first Mk11Mod0 silencers. I think G3K confirmed that he used this as a demo can at one time.

Thanks to Kevin Boland at KAC for providing the information regarding the historical background. Kevin has always been great about sharing information.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The chipping of the paint is normal. HK included a card with my Mark 23 explaining that the maritime finish was what was specified by the US Government and would show visual wear with use but would still protect the gun and that cosmetic finish deficiencies are not covered by the warranty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts