HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an MKE 94 P that I'm going to send off to a smith to have the barrel cut down , threaded and 3 lug installed. He wants me to buy the lug and send with gun. HK Parts has two different types, a 28 and a 32. Can someone advise which one is needed? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The sizes HK Parts have are 1\2 x 28. And 1\2 x 32. I wanted to add to post but could not edit it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The 1\2 x 28 & 1\2 x 32 refers to the thread pitch on the inside of the 3-Lug adapter. I would ask your 'smith what thread he intends to use on your barrel and then order the corresponding 3-Lug adapter.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
My guess is the owner can choose either thread pitch that will be exposed with the thread protector removed. The 1/2X28 pitch is much more common for pistol caliber thread mounts here in the US. I believe the original "Navy" MP5s were shipped from the factory with 1/2X32 muzzle threads. My understanding is that the smith will cut your barrel to length, cut down the area to be threaded and thread the entire length. Then thread on the 3-lug adapter to the barrel. The adapter will be permanently attached. There will still be threads showing. That length of thread will be the right length for a thread protector so a 3-lug mount could be used over the end of the barrel with the thread protector installed. Most 9mm thread mounted cans will be 1/2X28. I'm sure if you bought a 9mm can you could have a mount in the 1/2X32 thread.

I have a 3-lug Navy style barrel on my converted 94. I have never used the thread mount. My cans use the 3-lug method of mounting. There is either a flash hider or a can on the muzzle at all times. I've had trouble with the thread protector start to unthread if there wasn't anything on the muzzle to keep the thread protector there. I have a thread mounted can for my Mark 23 pistol. I have to check after every mag that the thread mounted can is still on tight. If the can was to be shot with the can loose a baffle strike could occur. That could be minor or catastrophic to the can. I find the 3-lug mount a much more positively locked system. Good luck with your barrel threading/3-lug project.

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts