HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I tried dyeing my MKE mags along with an older handguard using two bottles of dye left sumerced for over 24 hours and not a thing chnaged. Any ideas or just use more dye?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
They may have a sealant or your water wasn't hot enough.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
Also some plastics do NOT absorb the dye.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
The water needs to be close to boiling and NOT for more than a few minutes.
I have no idea if the MKE plastic will take dye or not, my experience is with dying nylon based parts. If someone wants to dontate a mag in the name of research I'd be happy to give it a try.

·
Registered
15 Posts
are you using the rit liquid dye? I dye mostly msd distributor caps from red to black and it usualy works very well i use a hot plate and a pot with a piece of aluminum bent into a platform to keep the thing your dying off the botom of the pot so it dosent get to much heat from the burner and warp it. I use about 1 botle of liquid dye to 1 gallon of water I keep the pot coverd until it boils then turn the burner down to 3/4 then put what ypu want to dye in. I check it every 10 mins usualy takes 20 to 40 mins to get as dark as i like. I let it cool out of the pot for about 10 minutes then wash it with simple green and warm water, this works real well to get the residue off. Hope this helps. Ive been looking at those mags and never even thought of trying to dye them im going to buy some and try it, like the others said some plastics just wont tale the dye.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually used 1 pack of RIT powder dye and 1 bottle of RIT liquid black mixed in a styrofoam cooler with boiling water. After mixing, I placed the parts and put lid on and it stayed hot for quite awhile. I let it soak for two days and when I pulled it out and washed the parts off, they looked like they had never been submurged. I also wondered about duracoating them but wasnt sure if it would add to the thickness and cause insertion problems.

·
Registered
264 Posts
MKE mags are made of an Acetyl type plastic which is not hydroscopic pretty much any time you see clear or smoke plastic it's going to be a Acetyl. Short answer is that you can't dye them. The reason you can dye USC's and the such is because they are made from Polyamides (Nylon 6 to be specific) which are hydroscopic and redily absorb water.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Why would you want to dye them?

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
I wouldn't die them. I like the fuel gauge concept. It's nice to be able to see how many rounds you have left below the magwell.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
That's my thinking as well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
who really counts rounds? Every video on here and my experiences at the public ranges are insert mag, pull trigger , dump mag. Not too many people counting rounds or watching the mag to say im almost out. I wanted to dye them merely as a cosmetic feature. Thanks for the heads up on the type of plastic used and its inabiity to take the dye.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts