HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, no pics, but rather a test report from the range tests yesterday amongst the colorful aspens in our high country.
However, I did include a pic from the other day in my yard. If you are wondering where the HK is, perhaps she ate it or its behind her? :biggrin: Mods, let's not delete the pic... I'll just admit I could not bear, not including a pic.

147gr flat tip ran perfectly in all curved mags
124gr always great in all mags
115gr the same
HPs, straight mags only. All curved mags choke on it. 15 rd USA, 30rd German and the 40rd LCI.

I was glad that the 147 ran great because one day, my stamp might actually arrive for my can.
(check cashed Mar 6.) In June, ATF said Sept 18th. Monday they said call back every 2 weeks and hope its soon. Their delays keep getting longer. When I inquired about form 1s, she replied, perhaps a year + for new submissions. Ouch!

Seeing how 147gr has been available fairly cheap lately, I guess its time to stock up now that I confirmed it runs perfectly.

BlackBear+Cubs-EP-LW- 292-1s.jpg

·
Registered
106 Posts
I keep reading that MKE's don't feed JHP's with curved mags, only straight mags- wasn't the point of going to curved mags to increase reliability with hollow points?

Glad it ran well otherwise, let's hope for both our sakes Form 1's don't take that long...

·
Registered
461 Posts
My earlier import MKE (Not Zenith) will feed ANY ammo through curved mags. :eek: (With or without a can)

Now the mag manufacturer is a whole thread by itself.

For me:
My factory MKE mag feeds everything (all bullet weights and nose types), as do my 2nd generation Korean mags.
The 3rd generation Korean mags did not feed ANYTHING reliably. So I sent them back.
The plastic mags I have feed round nose only.
My 100rd Beta-C likes round nose only. (It jams internally)

Try some different mags.... and post of photos.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need to talk with Zenith's armorer again about the HPs because HK, US, MKE or the LCI mags all choke on the HPs but not the flat nose which is odd because my HPs have less of a front on them than the 147 flat nose do. The straight mags run fine. I'll have to see what the difference is, if any at the top of the mag as well as inside the magwell. You would think HPs yea or ney, period. With the curved, I will get two rounds caught and one falling beneath which is scary, on HPs.
I so hate the thought having to send it off... If anyone knows of a fix, I'm all ears... and I know... buy an HK. That's already in the works but I will still keep this MKE.
Any thoughts from guys who know this platform well? No sear pack, just the poor man's semi.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Glad it is running mostly well for you. Let us know what you find out about HP's.

This thread needs some pics, here is my Z-5RS:

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The great guys at Zenith are sending me a label. The armorer and I spoke in detail and I offered up my discoveries.
They'll get it handled for me and return it quickly. They are a good bunch of guys.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just shot my Z5RS for the first time, ran 400+ rounds through her using mostly 124gr Geco and some Prvi. HK, MKE, and 4th Gen Korean mags had zero issues but one of my 4 earlier Gen Korean mags (whatever Centerfire is selling) will FTF on the last round. Fired 15 rounds of 147 HST and 124 Gold Dots through an HK mag too, so those seem to be GTG too. Literally no malfunctions aside from that single mag (which had the same issue w/ a friends select fire MP5K). Love this thing!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I was going to wait for the suppressor before running 147s but next time out I will try Ranger T 147 bonded.

I wish I could order mags but for us Maryland types a trip out of state is required.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just shot my Z5RS for the first time, ran 400+ rounds through her using mostly 124gr Geco and some Prvi. HK, MKE, and 4th Gen Korean mags had zero issues but one of my 4 earlier Gen Korean mags (whatever Centerfire is selling) will FTF on the last round. Fired 15 rounds of 147 HST and 124 Gold Dots through an HK mag too, so those seem to be GTG too. Literally no malfunctions aside from that single mag (which had the same issue w/ a friends select fire MP5K). Love this thing!
That FTF sounds like a mag spring issue to me. I have seen it written that the Korean mags are more reliable when the springs are replaced.
The Z5RS is hard not to enjoy.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That FTF sounds like a mag spring issue to me. I have seen it written that the Korean mags are more reliable when the springs are replaced.
The Z5RS is hard not to enjoy.
Funny you mention that, I ordered an HK replacement spring last night. I'll post the results the next time I hit the range.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update.
First off, I want to congratulate the guys at Zenith. I have dealt with many companies and HK always has the greatest service and customer support. Unlike Rem which took money and never shipped parts or recently, ignored my e-mail regarding a serious ammo issue....
The guys at Zenith have always been aorund to answer my questions and have the armorer speak to me in detail.
Well my ZRS had to go back to them on the 115 HP issue and I must say that I am impressed. They handled me and the repair as professional and courteously as HK. Well done guys!
Now, I just got it back so I have not had it out to the range, but they test fired it on the types of rounds I used and reported its firing all now.
Its reported that it was an out of spec magwell. Keep in mind, it ate everything fine and ran flawless with the exception of that one type of round and its shorter OAL.
I'll try and get to the range next week and run it with those HPs so I can give it a 100% thumbs up.
For now, the treated me as well as HK will have to do. How can I say better than that? I just compared their service to the very best. :biggrin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts