HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically is there an advantage to using one over the other? MKE utilizes the front pin and PTR the semi-shelf which means having the trigger housing clipped and pinned. My 3 position push pin housing would just need to be clipped and pinned which doesn't seem like a big deal. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Sad to hear the PTRs are not great. My PTR 91 seems solid. I almost picked up one of their MP5s. I wonder what is causing the reliability issues? Seems like it could be fixed somehow. Bolt gap maybe?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ugh, here goes.

I'm not a PTR fanboy as they pissed me off with the lack of support on my Buds / Century / PTR93, but I'm pretty much over it. I've got a SP5, which pretty much is useless for a sear host (block and weird shelf).

I was going to buy a PCS clone, which I'm certain would run right out of the box, but a buddy talked me into giving the PTR9 a go. I did and I'm super happy, it ran semi, full and suppressed with zero problems. I used factory mags and I was pretty impressed.

Anything with a block is a big ol meeeeh in my book, so get a PCS or for less money a PTR.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Sad to hear the PTRs are not great. My PTR 91 seems solid. I almost picked up one of their MP5s. I wonder what is causing the reliability issues? Seems like it could be fixed somehow. Bolt gap maybe?
Easy. When JLD started building PTR 91’s years ago, they bought the entire contents of the FMP factory in Portugal where G3’s were built on HK machinery. This factory did not build HK93’s, or MP5’s, so they did not get any machinery to build them. In the beginning, they built HK91 clones using surplus parts that were available from overseas, with their US made receivers, barrels, & trigger parts. As time progressed, the supply of imported surplus parts dried up, & their US made bolts had problems due to improper heat treating. So now that they are building MP5’s, they are flying blind as they have no factory machinery, or technical plans for these guns. And they don’t have the molds for the 9mm receivers like they did for the .308 guns. OTOH, MKE made MP5’s are made on factory supplied HK machinery in Turkey. GARY.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Ptrs suck and their CS is crap.
ptr 91 cant run f/a, bolt bounce or something else that 2x HK builders can't remedy.
ptr32, have 2 one ran fine until it didnt, the barrel didnt last that long and the headspace is toast. The other I'm saving.
Ive tried to help a shop get their 9cs running. They just wont do it.
I firmly believe their heat treat and specs on their stuff just sucks.

Its better to roll a flat and use german/fmp parts, they always work.

·
Registered
337 Posts
After selling my ptr91 I bought a Ptr 91 pistol. Hoping that may run better. My 91 full size wouldn’t lockup on FA. Ran perfect in semi. CS had no ideas that worked. Haven’t tested the new pistol 91 yet in FA. Getting the bolt welded

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had shelf installed on my Zenith MKE and it runs great with the sear. It still has the MKE bolt and welded carrier. I would have tried a PTR but they were not out yet.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My PTR 9C ran in FA out of the box. They have had issues with out of spec bolt heads. That can set you up for issues down the road with locking pieces and rollers.

My 32K started off as a problem child. It took a trip back to PTR and experimentation with recoil springs, locking pieces, and a tungsten carrier to get it to run in FA.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Of the two options, the PTR would be the better call due tot he conventional shelf... but as others have said, sometimes you can bump into issues with the bolt group... I suspect they have addressed the issues at this point but I don't know for certain and could not say. I also don't know much about the barrel... I don't believe that the factory barrel is a great match for full auto fire... the additional heat and sheer round count might wear it out quickly.

So then one might consider replacing the bolt head or group as a whole and an eventual barrel swap as long term maintenance to keep running but when you add that up, options like a Dakota Tactical build or a PCS build become financially feasible... which, would be the routes I would suggest going.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Zenith, at least back when MKE and they were getting along, would do the mods for use of the FA parts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts