HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to shoot my new toy. It's a smooth shooting rifle. My only complaint is the weight. Its a pretty heavy. Especially the long .308 barrel. .223 has basically no recoil. .308 is very mild. I have neck and shoulder problems so I was a little intimidated by the .308 kit ,but holding the gun up to shoot bothers me much more than the recoil. The recoil is no worse than an AK if that bad.

MM23E-K.mp4 video by USPSA13 - Photobucket

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I finally got to shoot my new toy. It's a smooth shooting rifle. My only complaint is the weight. Its a pretty heavy. Especially the long .308 barrel. .223 has basically no recoil. .308 is very mild. I have neck and shoulder problems so I was a little intimidated by the .308 kit ,but holding the gun up to shoot bothers me much more than the recoil. The recoil is no worse than an AK if that bad.

MM23E-K.mp4 video by USPSA13 - Photobucket
Thanks for the video. With the back issues, you may wish to look at getting an AA Tripod for shooting and of course the 308 will work great off the bipod for longer distance shooting.

Photo of friends MM23e on my AA tripod and other friends MM23e w/308 kit in the background.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wait time was about 4 months. It took a little longer than estimated. I have waited longer for lesser quality HK clones. The build quality really impressed me. All I had to do was modify my trigger pack to work. First time out it ran 100% in 223. I had a few jams with the 308 but I think that was a bad belt or me not supporting the belt. It's awesome to buy something that actually works out of the box.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Wait time was about 4 months. It took a little longer than estimated. I have waited longer for lesser quality HK clones. The build quality really impressed me. All I had to do was modify my trigger pack to work. First time out it ran 100% in 223. I had a few jams with the 308 but I think that was a bad belt or me not supporting the belt. It's awesome to buy something that actually works out of the box.
You will find one primary issue, the ammo cans keep going empty ..... LOL! Have you fired off the bipod yet at several hundred yards, the fiend's 308 was very accurate and making me think that it would replace the HK91.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Welcome to the MM club. I've gone broke trying to buy ammo to feed the damn thing at a time when 223 costs is at an all time high.
For cheaper shooting, I found that 62 gr wolf, brown bear, silver bear, runs great (just dirty as hell). Stay away from reloads, I ran a couple hundred rounds of .223 relaods from a local manufacturer (MIWALL) and had a lot of failure to FTE/FTF (very underpowered). All the hotter ammo such as federal (xm193,xm855) runs flawless.
And damn straight its amazingly accurate. I threw on an acog and was hitting a gong at 700 yards consistently with the .223 barrel. Straight ridiculous.

On a side note, does anyone know if the old hk21 barrel (not the 21e) thats on hkparts is compatible with our MM23s?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
If you want to cut the extractor relief and remove the old style barrel safety pin, you could use the older bbls, but why other than cost? Those old barrels are generally not chrome lined either

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
If you want to cut the extractor relief and remove the old style barrel safety pin, you could use the older bbls, but why other than cost? Those old barrels are generally not chrome lined either
Also for those of us with the MM23eK / MM21eK the 308 barrel either has to be short and/or the same nominal profile as the standard weight 223 barrel.

-----

John S or anyone else have the 7.62x39 kit on order? For the MM23eK looks like another interesting option ....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 7.62x39 kit would be nice. It would render my PTR 32 completely obsolete. I emailed Mike a while back about one. I believe he said that it would be about a year before they are out. My .308 setup is cool but the last .308 ammo I bought was 40 cents a round delivered. I can damn near shoot 100 round belts of 7.62x39 for the price of a 50 round belt of .308.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great vid dude! Glad you enjoy the gun. I have a full size but am kinda jealous of you MM23eK guys....

-HH
The K gun is nice off hand with the short barrel in .223. My long barrel .308 set up looks a little funny to me. It saves a little weight but I like the look of a full sized gun. Especially if the gun is on some kind of mount. If money wasn't an issue I would own both. I guess everything in life is a compromise.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Figure the long barrel in a K looks a little bit like the older HK21 but more so, if that make sense.
And of course having both is always the easiest option, except for writing the check ;-).

Have more than once though that instead of a conversion kit to 308 for the MM23eK, would sell off a few HK91s and stuff and just get the MM21e, in particular how accurate the friend's MM21e was (actually a MM23e with a 308 kit to be picky).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts