HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really like the looks of the Cetme L forearm and I am having problems finding an OD HK93 length forearm so I thought I would see if anyone has ever modified one of these to fit an HK93 clone? For any of you that have a Cetme L kit and an HK 93 clone could you please compare the two forearms to see if this is feasible at all? Even if you only have a Cetme L kit I would really appreciate some measurements of the forearm and also information about mounting points especially in the back (it looks like it is held in place by the trunion in the rear and a pin in the front like an HK).

I would appreciate any input on this.

Thanks in advance,
TG308

Attachments

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I was looking for this same answer, but no one has given it a shot and lived to post about it? :2:
I sent these to 308 via another board about a year ago. Since I still have the pics I'll add them here for your interest.
I only took comparison photos for him to look at since I had the parts available. Not sure if he ever did anything, maybe he'll chime in.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I sent these to 308 via another board about a year ago. Since I still have the pics I'll add them here for your interest.
I only took comparison photos for him to look at since I had the parts available. Not sure if he ever did anything, maybe he'll chime in.
21HK, I really appreciate all of your help with this. I did not end up giving it a try yet for a few reasons.

1) I was able to get a HK93 length OD forearm.
2) The Cetme L forearms are a bit expensive for the condition that they are in, especially if you have to significantly modify them to fit.
3) The Cetme L OD color did not appear to really match any of the different shades of HK OD furniture.
4) Finally I have not had any time for the project due to work.

I would be really interested to see the results if someone else tries this. Also if I do decide to give this a try I will definitely make a follow up post with the results good, bad or ugly. I do think this project is totally feasible based on the comparison photos.

·
Registered
234 Posts
There are a number of interesting differences I am observing in these photos.

One, even though the overall diameter of the Cetme L receiver at the trunnion is smaller then the HK, the channel around the barrel seems wider. That appears to have NO bearing on how the Cetme L hand guard seats itself at the front of the receiver.

The HK series either tip and ride in that radial channel around the barrel in the case of the slim line hand guard, OR, they have a tab that fits within that same channel, only at the bottom, with the corresponding tab being set well forward in the tropical hand guard.

The rear of the Cetme L hand guard seems to be radius so that it actually rides over that forward section of the receiver on the round trunnion portion. There appears to be no "tab" or even a radial "lip" as on an HK slim line that engages that channel around the barrel. So since the receiver portion at the trunnion is only 38.38 as per photo, the wider HK trunnion (42.07) area on the HK will not allow it to slip over.

Another thing I note is the linear center line variation between the HK and the Cetme between the barrel bore axis and the cocking handle support tube . The Cetme barrel appears to ride much closer to the cocking tube. You can deduce this from pictures #1 and #2. The Cetme barrel does not seem to have the larger dimension of the HK barrel at chamber end, relying on the trunnion to keep pressures in check. This shows how the smaller barrel diameter at the trunnion also allows the barrels to ride much closer to the center line of the cocking tube.

To me, it looks like you would first have to hone out the Cetme L hand guard to accommodate the 42.07 diameter of the HK receiver/trunnion diameter. Then it looks like you would need to possibly trim the upper section of the push pin retaining bracket to just under the existing Cetme L pin location and re-drill to the lower spot for the HK push pin. Still, as Great 308 points out, the hand guards a little pricey to get one to hack up and throw away if not successful. At $20 bucks I would try it, not sure I would for what, $65?

·
Registered
15 Posts
2) The Cetme L forearms are a bit expensive for the condition that they are in, especially if you have to significantly modify them to fit.
These weapons have been very battered and even hated by many Spanish soldiers, that's why their conditions.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Well I couldn't resist trying it out. Took a couple of evenings to cut it up and fit it, not a professional job by any means, but it is serviceable.

I took the metal portion of the handguard off and cut it down to about 9 1/2", it fits perfectly inside the Hk trunnion and locks up pretty good. You'll probably notice the pushpin hole I drilled is off-centered, I got in a rush and goofed that up. I should probably trim the tabs down, but I think I'm just going to leave them for now.
Product Photography
After that it was cutting out the plastic where the handguard mates up on the CETME, and relieving the inside of the handguard to fit over the Hk trunnion. Its still a pretty tight fit, the upper portion of the handguard needs to be relieved more, but I'm not too comfortable with taking much more off than I already have.

Yeah yeah, I know, not very pretty.

Another couple of things to note, the CETME handguard is thinner at the pushpin than on an Hk, so you might want to pick an L handguard pushpin. The other thing I noticed, after I had it all together, the CETME handguard is lower in the front. Doesn't interfere with the feel or function, but bugs me to look at.

Sorry for the quality(or lack thereof rather) of the pictures.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I couldn't resist trying it out. Took a couple of evenings to cut it up and fit it, not a professional job by any means, but it is serviceable.
Wow, that looks pretty good to me. Now you have me wanting to try it again. Could you please attach some more photos when you get a chance?

Thank you,
TG308

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I'm kind of undecided if I like it or not. I get your OCD issue with the hand guard not sitting level.
Not sure how much you cut off the metal liner but if you still have it and it's wide enough it could be used as filler to bring the back of the hand guard down....only problem is that you'll probably end up with a gap between the hand guard plastic and the trunnion which is something that wouldn't be as obvious.

Depending on how much you need to drop the back down, the liner would have to be shortened a little and the new piece (green) would need to be spaced (arrow) to make up that difference and offset so it would fit into the recess in the trunnion.

Just a thought?

Green Font Logo Clip art Symbol

·
Registered
667 Posts
Thats a pretty good idea, I didn't take very much metal off at all, so a new piece would have to be used. The only real issue I see is the inside upper portion of the handguard would have to be relieved even more since the centerline of the handguard already sits below the centerline of the trunnion as it is now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts