HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I guess this is the correct place since I will form 1 my PTR 51p eventually lol.

So my question is does anyone know where/who to convert a spare A3 stock I have to work with the PTR pdw? I would like to avoid ordering one for $600+ from HKP if possible.

Or if anyone knows how to do it I'd love to hear as well!

BTW, PTR themselves used to do it for $75 but they told me the service is no longer offered...(at least on individual basis I guess)

Thanks for any input in advance!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I made one a couple years back.

Its a pretty straight forward operation but is a bit time consuming and requires access to specialized tools like a TIG Welder and the ability to refinish parts (spray gun and blast hood)

1. Disassemble both the A3 donor stock and the PTR PDW pistol buttcap so that all you have is the actual backplate and attached recoil rod assembly.
2. Carefully cut the recoil rods out of each units respective backplates.
3. Swap the collapsing recoil rod from the PDW pistol buttcap into the A3 stock assembly and TIG weld the collapsing recoil rod into the A3 stock backplate.
4. Blast paint from A3 backplate and cap and refinish in your choice of HK black (duracoat, molyresin, gunkote, etc.) as the welding operation will most likely damage the original paint on the backplate. if you want you can refinish the collapsing stock assembly at the same time.
5. Reassemble the A3 stock (buffer, spring, lock mech, stock arms, and cap)

I did it at the time as PTR didn't offer it as a service and HK Parts was out of stock on their version for an extended period of time. I think the whole process took me a couple evenings.

If I needed another one today I would just buy the HK Parts stock as the time it took to build one (even having all the tools available) isn't worth the $300ish I saved as a DIY project.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made one a couple years back.

Its a pretty straight forward operation but is a bit time consuming and requires access to specialized tools like a TIG Welder and the ability to refinish parts (spray gun and blast hood)

1. Disassemble both the A3 donor stock and the PTR PDW pistol buttcap so that all you have is the actual backplate and attached recoil rod assembly.
2. Carefully cut the recoil rods out of each units respective backplates.
3. Swap the collapsing recoil rod from the PDW pistol buttcap into the A3 stock assembly and TIG weld the collapsing recoil rod into the A3 stock backplate.
4. Blast paint from A3 backplate and cap and refinish in your choice of HK black (duracoat, molyresin, gunkote, etc.) as the welding operation will most likely damage the original paint on the backplate. if you want you can refinish the collapsing stock assembly at the same time.
5. Reassemble the A3 stock (buffer, spring, lock mech, stock arms, and cap)

I did it at the time as PTR didn't offer it as a service and HK Parts was out of stock on their version for an extended period of time. I think the whole process took me a couple evenings.

If I needed another one today I would just buy the HK Parts stock as the time it took to build one (even having all the tools available) isn't worth the $300ish I saved as a DIY project.
Thanks for the instructions and insight sir! Very helpful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts