HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't for LE/CCW/HD, it's for playing.

I modified a junk Sherer G17 magazine following USMC-F4's guidelines.
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...um-magazine-mod-glock-drum-project-diy-2.html

Haven't done live fire yet but it hand feeds fine. The reason for this test is that the new Magpul 21 round 140mm Glock mags are dirt cheap and should clear the Jet Funnel.
Magpul PMAG GL9 Mag Glock 17 34 9mm Luger Polymer Black

Anyone else done this? Anyone have additional tips and tricks on modifying the mags?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Anyone else done this? Anyone have additional tips and tricks on modifying the mags?

What's the point? I pay extra for my HK pistols because I don't what not fiddle around and clear user-induced malfunctions on the range. Heck the Magpuls are second fiddle to the proprietary Glock mags in the guns they're SUPPOSED to work in.

But then again, this exists too...
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/277657-i-got-mp7.html

FML

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the point? I pay extra for my HK pistols because I don't what not fiddle around and clear user-induced malfunctions on the range. Heck the Magpuls are second fiddle to the proprietary Glock mags in the guns they're SUPPOSED to work in.

But then again, this exists too...
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/277657-i-got-mp7.html

FML

FML?

The point is that having more than the factory 15 (or even a relatively expensive 18) rounds is greatly desirable. This is specifically for USPSA type shooting.

Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
FML?

The point is that having more than the factory 15 (or even a relatively expensive 18) rounds is greatly desirable. This is specifically for USPSA type shooting.

Thank you for your input.
If you're going to "game" your way through something at least do it right. This is why mag extensions exist or at least get an appropriate USPSA competitive platform if that's your bag. Or at the very least have the dignity run what you've got and take the licks that come with it. A USP is what it is...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not in the mood for a pissing contest. I posted this as an FYI since I couldn't find a lot of info after a lot of searching.

How much USPSA have you shot with a USP9 or anything else? Not being an ass, just want to know your level of experience.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
How much USPSA have you shot with a USP9 or anything else? Not being an ass, just want to know your level of experience.
With a USP?...none because even if I liked the feel of a USP (which I don't) I would only run it SAO/V9...which as you know isn't an option for USPSA Production. I have shot VP9 in production.

Since you mention 140mm, I assume you're using it as a Limited (minor?) gun. I can't say I would see the point in running a hacked-up non-OEM franken mag in any competition much less Limited. Seeing as how Glock themselves have historically had trouble feeding ammo into their own guns from their own mags (re: early G22 mags), I would have less confidence in an aftermarket Glock mag in a non Glock gun. With that said, I don't know how your Limited/Open crowd is in your area, but I take them as borderline fanatics and some can be downright nasty about people playing in their lane at the pool and not taking it seriously/wasting people's time. I would not want to be the one out there looking like a monkey f'ing a football at a comp with some half-assed home-brew USP/Glock concoction.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Curious to see how they work during live fire

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update-

Shot five full mags topped off at 21 rounds. Zero issues. Shot a local match yesterday, the USP9 was flawless and took 1st.

The point is that it works. If you want cheap high cap mags and don't care what the peanut gallery says, go for it. They work great with the jet funnel. They do not lock the slide back.

Again, not using them in critical situations but for match and range use they work great, especially for the price. You can have 2-3 of these for the price of one jet funnel mag.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Update-

Shot five full mags topped off at 21 rounds. Zero issues. Shot a local match yesterday, the USP9 was flawless and took 1st.

The point is that it works. If you want cheap high cap mags and don't care what the peanut gallery says, go for it. They work great with the jet funnel. They do not lock the slide back.

Again, not using them in critical situations but for match and range use they work great, especially for the price. You can have 2-3 of these for the price of one jet funnel mag.
Thanks for the info. Hobbies and gaming are meant to be fun. But don't tell that to the "purists" out there that believe you are doing it wrong unless you are doing it their way. Nobody ever invented or evolved a product by using it the way the last guy intended it to be used.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FYI-
Contrary to what I read on the internet, the 40 white jet funnel mags do not work for me. The 9mm rounds jam up due to the 40 mag body being effectively internally wider. The followers are the identical. Downloading the 40 mags to ten rounds gets them to work some of the time but still not reliable enough. The feed lips are wider on the 40 mag. If they were stiffer, like the black mags, they might work better.

I could modify the 40 jet funnel mags to work but it's not worth the hassle. I'll just sell or trade them.

The modified Magpul 21 rounder is still at 100% reliability.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts