HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in process of installing a new trigger for my HK, and in order for it to function I have to remove the firing pin safety.

I have successfully removed the rear pin...simply just tapping it, but the front pin doesn't move at all??

Can some of you bright minds tell me what I am doing wrong or should do ??

Trying to achieve this result:
CIMG1083.jpg

·
Registered
946 Posts
The front is a rivet, with its edges peened over. You can identify it with the dimple in the middle. You need to use a small punch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, but I still can't seem to get it out, does it work like the dimple on the take-down pins ? as in I have to only push in the middle to be able to move it ?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Are you also going to remove material from the firing pin to make it lighter and prevent inertia from causing it to fire?

·
Banned
879 Posts
FYI, removing the FPS will not cause a "slam fire" when chambering a round. It WILL cause a dimple on the primer though.

Insofar as I remember, on a standard AR, it takes a little more then 40 re-chamberings of the same round before the dimple gets bad enough that the free floating firing pin will cause a slam fire.

THat being said, the dimple on an HK without the FPS is slightly bigger then a DI AR, thusly my educated guess is that it would take less then 40-ish re-chamberings to cause a slam fire, but exactly how many, I could not even begin to guesstimate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the details Grumpy !

But do you know the specifics regarding the front pin removal, is it like the take down pins ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's more of a rivet than a pin. Think of the front sling swivel rivet on the M-16. You have to bend the flared portion so it will punch out. Other option is to carefully hit it with a sharp drill bit to cut the flare off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well impatience won...I broke a small punch, well I bent one trying to push the pin out.

Thinking that was it, next is steel drill bit....drilling about 1mm did the trick, the pin came right out after that, who would have guessed hehe.

Well it worked out at least, the trigger can be installed now, just waiting for it to arrive at my door.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, a SD-C, really looking forward to this trigger, had a lot of creep in my stock one.
Please let us know how that works out over time - I opted to leave the F/P safety intact and used a GI fire control group...after finding that the Geissele I had would not work & noted the $475 cost of the Geissele 416 version just seemed excessive...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please let us know how that works out over time - I opted to leave the F/P safety intact and used a GI fire control group...after finding that the Geissele I had would not work & noted the $475 cost of the Geissele 416 version just seemed excessive...
Well I thought I ought to give it some time and different ammo before I report back.

I have now fired abounds of 556 and 223, American Eagle, Prvi Partizan and M855. I have not had any issues with any of the mentioned ammo. Trigger works great and is money well spent !

·
Registered
634 Posts
Before the SF got their Geissele full-auto made triggers specifically for the 416, they were removing the FPS. I don't think you'll have any issues.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
Before the SF got their Geissele full-auto made triggers specifically for the 416, they were removing the FPS. I don't think you'll have any issues.
Big difference between guys shooting issued 5.56 (mil spec primers) and the guy buying commercial .223 off the shelf at wally world.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts