HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seeing as how the Gov only gives me one day a week off lately, what better way to spend that day than sweltering in the Arizona sun? I wanted to see if this gun was everything it was supposed to be, and how it compares to my other 308 guns (some no longer with me, but the LWRC REPR, Armalite SASS, Sig 716, Scar 17 and I'm sure a few others ive gone through). I had to zero at 91 meters with the sun in my eyes (I got out early and we have a single spot already metered out we put targets at) so I didn't shoot for groups today, I just got on target and launched a few to verify its zero. Quick and painless, all the rounds touching suppressed and with both Hornady BTHP 168 and Federal GMM 168s. Oddly enough the zero only shifted 1/2 inch left with the Hornady, so this made it possible to try both at distance! After getting that set and resetting the turrets on my Steiner Military 3-12x50, I dialed up Shooter on my phone and put in the specifics... it was about 88 degrees at 8 am and DA of 6400 feet, so nice and thin air for shooting! I shot a ball park of 2450 FPS into the calc since I didn't have a chrono and it said to dial 7.8 Mils for 700 Meters (closest steel we have, followed by 800 meters and 1000 meters). Shots were high and after a few I got on target dialing 7.0 Mils and finished the mag with about 90% hitting the 12 inch x 16 inch plate using Federal GMM 168s. I was shooting fast and already starting to sweat, but I was more concerned with how this barrel handled heat as I picked up a Ruger RPR a month ago and was quite displeased with how quickly the barrel heated up and started dropping shots. The HK took it like a champ! Time to try the Hornadys out! Similar to the FGGM, I held about .5 mils left and shot for the center of the target, just as easily repeatable and boring as the FGMM, and no issues having to adjust for a warm barrel... This thing is a tank! Time to push to 800 meters. Shooter called for 9 mils (I had already input the offset from the 700 meter target in, so it would be accurate this time around. It said close to 2500 FPS calculated based on adjustment). First shot was left so I held .5 mils left and back on target (little wind had picked up - said 4 mph but I know the weather station isn't close and I don't have a kestrel), finished off the mag the same as the 700 meter and switched to the Hornady. Held just under 1 mil left and went through a mag of that with the same level of boringness! Time for 1000 meters! At this point though, its already getting hot, ive covered my shooting mat (and rifle) in sweat, and the small useless viewing hole on the stock keeps ripping my beard hair out. Shooter asked for 14 mils, but crap... out of elevation at 12 mils :( Time for a 20 MOA mount! Now anyone who has used the Mil Dots on the Steiner knows its not the easiest to hold over for something like 2 mils up and 1-1.5 mils left, but I'm out here I figured id try it. According to Shooter, the rounds are going subsonic at around 925 Meters, so its going to be interesting sinking these in to a small piece of steel almost covered by my crosshairs while holding for elevation and wind! Short story is after about 10 rounds I couldn't get on and was having a hard time seeing where they hit (haven't been out here to cut bushes and repaint the steel this year yet since its been so hot) so I didn't want to waste ammo and figured id come back with a 20 MOA mount and some SMK 175s to push out further.

All in all, I can't say enough about this rifle. I used to be a hater due to the cost and lack of anything fancy the other guns come with, but this rifle teamed with the Timney Trigger, good ammo, and a good piece of glass is unstoppable! 800 meters (about 875 yards) was more than enough for its first time out, and I will go back once its cooled off a bit, and also try out some hand loads now that I know I'm going to keep it!

Some pictures from today... Perfect day out! If only it was 20 degrees cooler.. See if you can see the steel out there! Its now gray and nearly impossible to see! Time to toss a coat of paint on!

Edit - almost forgot... This thing makes a nice tidy pile of brass at about 1:30-2:00. Thats just under 100 pieces there at a nice distance and all in perfect order! I was scared the rifle would be over gassed and launch them 40 feet away, but it shot perfect with the Surefire!

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
great write up and thxs for pics. Id be curious on the spot as a few of my "hidden" spots have been taken over by ATV/off road vehicles lately.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great write up and thxs for pics. Id be curious on the spot as a few of my "hidden" spots have been taken over by ATV/off road vehicles lately.
I leave my steel out there at the further distances, so I dont disclose it, but its a terrible area for anything but shooting far as that small perch I am on is the only area not covered in bushes and such... perfect since there is no off road traffic as well. I train out there with a few other LEOs, but besides them I try not to bring anyone else out because sooner or later, im sure my steel will just be missing, the place trashed (some idiot already leaves steel cased russian stuff out there! At least leave brass I can take home!) and I will have to find something new. There are some nicer spots west of lake pleasant that have a lot of room to shoot but they are 4x4 accessible only and a decent ways off a paved road, and have the possibility of OHV traffic so pushing past 200 or so yards is tough and still have a safe back stop with no paths crossed.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have been told of a few spots out by Pleasant but havent adventured out there. mostly cause im out on the westside (miller road area) and pleasant is a small drive just to go off roading looking for a spot. Thats my other issue, i spot i had for a while, my steel went missing. thankfully they were cheaper still circles, but still pisses me off, same place is where i started to see more quads, so who knows.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been told of a few spots out by Pleasant but havent adventured out there. mostly cause im out on the westside (miller road area) and pleasant is a small drive just to go off roading looking for a spot. Thats my other issue, i spot i had for a while, my steel went missing. thankfully they were cheaper still circles, but still pisses me off, same place is where i started to see more quads, so who knows.
PM Sent

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Unrelated but similar- we used to have a cool spot up here in the woods, only out to about 200yds, but we had it "set up" and there were signs of other shooters, never met them, but it was kind of a mutual-respect thing. We left targets, cleaned up, and it seemed to be going great- then one day, our targets are all gone, someone left a satellite dish, old TV, tons of trash, styrofoam coolers.. looked like they had a campfire get out of control... So then I joined the local private club and I just use their range. Someone will come along and ruin it for everyone else. Sucks.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unrelated but similar- we used to have a cool spot up here in the woods, only out to about 200yds, but we had it "set up" and there were signs of other shooters, never met them, but it was kind of a mutual-respect thing. We left targets, cleaned up, and it seemed to be going great- then one day, our targets are all gone, someone left a satellite dish, old TV, tons of trash, styrofoam coolers.. looked like they had a campfire get out of control... So then I joined the local private club and I just use their range. Someone will come along and ruin it for everyone else. Sucks.
The shooting crowd has really changed since 2008 with all the "bans" and people who bought guns just because they didnt want to not be able to buy one. Arizona is a HUGE shooting state with all the federal land, unfortunately the "smart" shooters know to clean up after themselves, or use steel, etc, where as many of these new shooters are the ones doing mag dumps in unsafe directions, bringing out TVs, glass, old appliances etc and shooting them up then leaving them out there. I know in AZ a lot of people are complaining that BLM is shutting down areas that are too contaminated and trashed for cleanup and renovation, but its sad that we can have clean up days and a week later its trashed again.

·
Registered
450 Posts
^this.

alot of spots I use to go to on BLM land that use to be semi buy are now as busy as a public range and the people out there are sketchy sometimes. as said above, lots of people bringing stuff out, leaving it there, ect. I dont blame places for getting shut down cause of people being lazy. i usually leave with some trash from others but alot of times it takes a group to get together to clean these places up, and sadly within a few months its trashed again.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The shooting crowd has really changed since 2008 with all the "bans" and people who bought guns just because they didnt want to not be able to buy one. Arizona is a HUGE shooting state with all the federal land, unfortunately the "smart" shooters know to clean up after themselves, or use steel, etc, where as many of these new shooters are the ones doing mag dumps in unsafe directions, bringing out TVs, glass, old appliances etc and shooting them up then leaving them out there. I know in AZ a lot of people are complaining that BLM is shutting down areas that are too contaminated and trashed for cleanup and renovation, but its sad that we can have clean up days and a week later its trashed again.
That happened to quite a few sites in the Prescott area for the same reason. Including our favorite site where we we able to shoot our class III's at fairly long range.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well went back out today equipped with some Federal Gold Medal Match 175 gr pills, and a box of Hornady Super Performance Match 168s to take another crack at the 1000 meter (1094 yard) steel target again... Warming up at 100, then pushing 700 I had the same results as last time on the Amax 168s, but this time after 40 rounds I switched to the 175s. Zero was very close so I didn't have to adjust much! 700s were boring so I dialed in 14.4 mils and went for 1000. Had to walk it in a bit since my zero was based on the 168s and wasn't sure if I was going to use the 175s, but after 4 rounds I was on target! Dialed down to 14.1 Mils and had to adjust about 1 mil left (I'm guessing these fly significantly better!) and hit! Finished up the box in about 2 minutes (also testing how hot these get). Never deviated of target even after that box of fast fire. Tried the Hornady super performance match out, and while they hit just as hard, it moved my otherwise perfect pile of brass to right next to the rifle. Primers weren't popping out but I could feel the extra stress on the rifle and didn't want to push my luck. My main reason for trying them is I impulse purchased 1250 168 amax bullets when they were 25% off at Cabelas a few weeks ago and know I can load them a bit warmer to make them work, but I may just return them and snag some 175 SMKs.

All in all today I shot just under 100 rounds in less than 25 minutes. The heat and rapid fire didn't phase this rifle even the slightest and groups stayed consistent the entire time. I can't figure out the proper words for how amazing this rifle is... if a 20 inch version comes to the US, I will be first in line to add it to my collection. Even for fun I shot some M80 ball ammo at 700 meters and it still hit every shot like it was its job! I focused a bit more on my 100 yard groups today as well, 1 inch orange stickers had every round INSIDE of them, so while I'm too lazy to walk back out and check how tight that was, its obviously sub MOA.

If you're on the fence about one of these, don't hesitate, just go buy one!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Tried the Hornady super performance match out, and while they hit just as hard, it moved my otherwise perfect pile of brass to right next to the rifle. Primers weren't popping out but I could feel the extra stress on the rifle and didn't want to push my luck.
Great write-up! Were you shooting suppressed?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Always! This gun LOVES the Surefire can! I think those Hornady rounds are just a bit too hot for a semi auto gun. They are rated almost 300 FPS faster than the FGMM.
Excellent Smithers, excellent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
but after 4 rounds I was on target! Dialed down to 14.1 Mils and had to adjust about 1 mil left (I'm guessing these fly significantly better!) and hit! !
Absolutely incredible! Great report; Love the photos. Thanks for the detailed info regarding your ammo loads and dope info. I'm on the fence but it's my wallet that is holding me back. Maybe it's time to get out a credit card...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Absolutely incredible! Great report; Love the photos. Thanks for the detailed info regarding your ammo loads and dope info. I'm on the fence but it's my wallet that is holding me back. Maybe it's time to get out a credit card...
It hurt buying one, but after shooting it, it made it that much easier to sell the LWRC REPR! I will still likely buy a REPR in 20 inch if I find a good deal, but if HK makes one first, it will definitely be credit card time!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts