HKPRO Forums banner
21 - 40 of 1080 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Re: HK in London +1

Thanks for the nice pics 'Kurtz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

The properties of that pic says "usembassylondon.jpg", so my guess would, not surprisingly, be the U.S. Embassy in London /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

·
Registered
22 Posts

I was busy drooling over the HK that I didn't even notice the American flag behind him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
117 Posts

Last time I checked, coppers in Britain DO NOT carry firearms. However, under special circumstances such as the previously mentioned, where the coppers killed an innocent bystander, a riot would be anticipated, and the coppers will be armed just like in any other country.

Sammy

[ QUOTE ]
Now I always thought the that coppers in England didn;t carry guns LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (Guess times have changed).

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO. Too easy... Nice theliberator.

Sammy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Guess where he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

In front of an Abercrombie & Fitch store in the U.K.?

[/ QUOTE ]

·
Registered
52 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Last time I checked, coppers in Britain DO NOT carry firearms. However, under special circumstances such as the previously mentioned, where the coppers killed an innocent bystander, a riot would be anticipated, and the coppers will be armed just like in any other country.

[/ QUOTE ]British Police do not carry guns. We have dedicated Firearms Officers who are on call in ARV's (Armed Response Vehicles) where the Officers will have access to MP5's and Glock 17 or Sig P226. Lately though, all kinds of stuff has been cropping up, G36K, AUG's etc. Then you have Traffic Cops, whose vehicles will contain pistols locked up in a console, the Officers will have to radio in for permission to draw them, and this will only be granted if the Officer is qualified with the gun, which is very rarely. And also some regular patrol cars will be equipped with them. By next year, supposedly, all Brit Cops will be armed (50 years late IMO!)

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

Great pic drvais, thanks for posting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

·
Registered
117 Posts

With the economy and society we have now HKPete, I wouldn't be surprised if the British police were armed next year. I thought the Irish used the AUG, not the Brits /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sammy

[ QUOTE ]
British Police do not carry guns. We have dedicated Firearms Officers who are on call in ARV's (Armed Response Vehicles) where the Officers will have access to MP5's and Glock 17 or Sig P226. Lately though, all kinds of stuff has been cropping up, G36K, AUG's etc. Then you have Traffic Cops, whose vehicles will contain pistols locked up in a console, the Officers will have to radio in for permission to draw them, and this will only be granted if the Officer is qualified with the gun, which is very rarely. And also some regular patrol cars will be equipped with them. By next year, supposedly, all Brit Cops will be armed (50 years late IMO!)

[/ QUOTE ]

·
Registered
2 Posts

You'd be surprised at the amount of people legally required to carry as part of their job in the UK.

Fifty years TOO EARLY IMO, and the threat is not from terrorism for most of them but armed thugs, terrorism we have been dealing with for 40 years, and things are not much different from 20 years ago.

·
Registered
52 Posts

I have a few friends who are British Police Officers. I once asked them if they would feel safer, especially when doing traffic stops and entering peoples homes, if they had a sidearm. They all gave a very firm yes. All Bobbies I know would feel safer on the job if they were armed, and I think it's criminal they aren't given anything useful for self defence. I read a story not so long ago of a female Constable who got stabbed. She confronted a man armed with a knife, she drew her ASP to defend herself, the criminal was about 15 metres away from her and he just stood their and stared at her. Then he ran and lunged at her and stabbed her in her abdomen just below her vest. Now if she had a gun, she could of shot the guy and she wouldn't of got stabbed. She had to quit the Police as a result of her injuries and the poor girl had only just finished probation.

·
Registered
117 Posts

My opinion of terrorism in the UK STRONGLY differs from yours. However, because this forum is for HK firearms, I will try and not go into it.

Sammy

[ QUOTE ]
Fifty years TOO EARLY IMO, and the threat is not from terrorism for most of them but armed thugs, terrorism we have been dealing with for 40 years, and things are not much different from 20 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

One more:

[ QUOTE ]
Armed police officers and a Royal Marine stand guard in Parliament Square, London, Tuesday Nov. 23, 2004, prior to Britain's Queen Elizabeth II arrival at the Houses of Parliament for the annual State Opening of Parliament. BRITISH security services have thwarted plots for September 11-style terror attacks on London's Heath- row Airport and its high-rise Canary Wharf financial district, a TV network and a newspaper have reported.

[/ QUOTE ]

·
Registered
52 Posts

Guards dressed in No.1's such as the Marine in the picture and the ones outside Buckingham Palace are sadly ornamental. If something happend, they couldn't run properly due to the uniform, tney might as well have a pole up their backside. And they don't get issued live rounds. So all they could really say is 'Stop, or I'll poke you with my bayonet!' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
5 Posts

You couldn't pay me to stand guard with an unloaded firearm. Remember the pic of the National Guard in an airport after 9/11, guarding it with their M16s, which had no magazines in them?

·
Registered
52 Posts

I've actually done guard duty once and had to patrol the camp perimeter with magazine fixed but no rounds. I was told to go back to the guardhouse for them if I needed them. Crazy.

·
Registered
6 Posts

of course its alright for cops to have guns in order to protect rich British politicians but naturally regular citizens are forbidden from owning them.

21 - 40 of 1080 Posts