HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into lights for my handgun. I like the TLR-1s for home defense. Does anyone have any thoughts on if this light is too bright for home defense, and if so do you know of any other reasonably priced led lights that would work better for this? Thank you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I didn't know where I should post it. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
You wont go wrong with either the x300 or the TLR1. The surefire is just a tank but I don't see many standard TLR1 fail. The only TLR1 that I know of that has had problems is the TLR1-s with the strobe feature. The electronics have been prone to fail for no apparent reason.

The TLR1 (what I carry) is 160 lumens with a not much artifacting. It is probably too bright for indoor hallway use for some but we have wide walls and a big house so it doesn't affect me much. 80-100 lumens is about perfect for indoor use for most. Remember you don't want to blind yourself at the same time as you're identifying your target.

If you're going to EDC the light the extra lumens is a good trade off.

the X300 is 110 lumens with a momentary on push button (The TLR is has a Left hand down lever for momentary on.)

I don't have any complaints that I have read or experienced with surefires' other than the high price complaints. (Cost of doing business with the best)

In the end either will do well.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Check out the Gen2 Virdian lights. They look fantastic on the P30.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
+1, and excellent response once again by Wolvee. I recently switched the primary HD gun to a Viridian C5L, but only because I got it thrown in on a big trade I made. 100 lumens seems about right on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about the tlr-3 anyone have any experience with that. Its 110 Lumens, do you think that would be better for HD?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have TLR-3 on all my pistols, just not on the 45c yet.
I have never had one problem. Small, light, and affordable.
Brightness is perfect for me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I cannot get a X300 to fit a P30. It stops about .030" short of latching with either the U or P lock plate.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I cannot get a X300 to fit a P30. It stops about .030" short of latching with either the U or P lock plate.
Push harder. It's a tight fit but it goes on.

I prefer the x300 for the controls. Some have grabbed the new x400 but I think it's way too bright (unless it's going on a rifle where a 50+ yard light is needed)

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The tlr3 is advertised as 90 lumens but it is really more like 80 otf (out the front) ..Car guys think, fwhp vs. rwhp

It is a good light at a great price but the others are better for durrability. ..i only know of two friends that have had failure in tactical pistol classes.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I hang a TLR-1s on mine. I've yet to have any issues with it. Even if it were to crap out on me I keep a Strion near the bed... Plus Streamlight is only 5 mins away with GREAT cs!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have the TLR1 and love it. I also have two other Streamlight weapons lights and a fourth on back order (TLR4) . they are the best bang for the buck. good light, no blond spots. and lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
TLR-3. Shot about 300 RDS with it on the P30 and no issues.

Replaced it with the Viridian X5L Gen 2, like it a lot. Brighter for sure.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I've got a friend that had his fail with minimal use at a night match last year. Haven't bothered to ask him what happened to it since as I've stuck with X300.
I have an As new in box viridian c5L with an extra package of batteries if you might be interested. Bought for $350, yours for $225. Pm me if interested.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
if you are considering the TLR3 look at the new TLR4 with a laser. shootingin the dark a laser can be a huge advantage.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a TLR-1s on my P30 and have had no problems at all. I think it is a good product at a good price. If you are using it mostly for HD then you should be fine, but if you are thinking tactical uses or competition you may want to think something else.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
X300s on all my pistols. I have never had one fail. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
261 Posts
X300s on all my pistols. I have never had one fail. You get what you pay for.
Exactly. I know my X300s are good to go, having been beat on by my SBR and shot a reasonable amount on my pistols.

Would like to test-drive a Viridian when money frees up in the future, but would rather see a QD-type attach on them like the X300, although it is understandable that there would be a concern with keeping zero with the laser with that type of mount.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts