HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I really like an HK scope mount but hear that it scratches the gun . Is there any way around it ?
Depends on the gun.....but try black electrical tape on the receiver, if you're mounting on a 90 series with a claw mount.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
The mount doesn't scratch the gun, the ape trying to install it does.

Yes, there's a way around it. If one is patient and studies the mount to see how it works it is possible to successfully install the claw mount without scratching the gun.
With the mount open lower the mount over the receiver at an angle with the right side going down first. Carefully hook the feet onto the machined recesses on the right side of the receiver, and then slowly roll the mount to the left over the receiver, being careful to be sure the mount is aligned with the saddle.
Here's the tricky part. As the mount approaches the full vertical position, but not quite there, begin to rotate the lever down to rotate the feet inward. As you rotate the feet, continue to rotate the mount towards vertical until it stops. By now the rotating feet should be tight against the machined recesses on the left side of the receiver. Simply apply a little more downward pressure to the lever until the lock clicks into place. Lift lever to stow.

Key is, to start on the right side first, this give positive location of the mount and eliminates hunting around for the sweet spot and scratching the hell out of the receiver. Next key is to rotate the mount closed just as it's about to sit against the top of the saddle. If this second part isn't done the feet will scratch the receiver as the lever is rotated to close the mount.
Obvious part, and the part people most often miss, is to go slow, be careful, and be patient. I've done this a thousand times and have never scratched a receiver. Only careful examination of the machined mounting recesses can tell that a mount has ever been on the rifle, exactly where the feet contact the recess. That is unavoidable. Some rifles look like an angry tiger chewed on them.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Put it on once and then never take it off.
Simply put......what he said^^^^^....just add the black electrical tape to the receiver and you'll be fine. I've done it this way a thousand times...it works when you are patient.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The mount doesn't scratch the gun, the ape trying to install it does.

Yes, there's a way around it. If one is patient and studies the mount to see how it works it is possible to successfully install the claw mount without scratching the gun.
With the mount open lower the mount over the receiver at an angle with the right side going down first. Carefully hook the feet onto the machined recesses on the right side of the receiver, and then slowly roll the mount to the left over the receiver, being careful to be sure the mount is aligned with the saddle.
Here's the tricky part. As the mount approaches the full vertical position, but not quite there, begin to rotate the lever down to rotate the feet inward. As you rotate the feet, continue to rotate the mount towards vertical until it stops. By now the rotating feet should be tight against the machined recesses on the left side of the receiver. Simply apply a little more downward pressure to the lever until the lock clicks into place. Lift lever to stow.

Key is, to start on the right side first, this give positive location of the mount and eliminates hunting around for the sweet spot and scratching the hell out of the receiver. Next key is to rotate the mount closed just as it's about to sit against the top of the saddle. If this second part isn't done the feet will scratch the receiver as the lever is rotated to close the mount.
Obvious part, and the part people most often miss, is to go slow, be careful, and be patient. I've done this a thousand times and have never scratched a receiver. Only careful examination of the machined mounting recesses can tell that a mount has ever been on the rifle, exactly where the feet contact the recess. That is unavoidable. Some rifles look like an angry tiger chewed on them.
I see different types of mounts made by the same maker.(Schubritchtung,) Some just have a rail, some have rings , etc. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Schubritchtung is NOT the brand, HK is.

The word with the arrow means "shooting direction".

This is helpful, as the mount can be forced on backwards...

The advice to lave it on forever is just nonsense, as that mounting system is thoroughly engineered to return to zero every time.

That means you can carry it however you like, just pop it on when needed. As stated before, if you do it right, you won't hurt that fancy finish.

There are two types of the real HK-produced forged steel mounts. One is designed to hold a 30mm tube scope, the other to fit any STANAG device, be it optics, night vision, or illuminators.

DG

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Schubritchtung is NOT the brand, HK is.

The word with the arrow means "shooting direction".

This is helpful, as the mount can be forced on backwards...

The advice to lave it on forever is just nonsense, as that mounting system is thoroughly engineered to return to zero every time.

That means you can carry it however you like, just pop it on when needed. As stated before, if you do it right, you won't hurt that fancy finish.

There are two types of the real HK-produced forged steel mounts. One is designed to hold a 30mm tube scope, the other to fit any STANAG device, be it optics, night vision, or illuminators.

DG
Can I have an idea what the second type would look like? The one that gives me most flexibility. I like real HK Products . Thank You.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I really like an HK scope mount but hear that it scratches the gun . Is there any way around it ?
I used to have an SL9, a MP5SD converted from 94 and a 33 converted from 93. I had HK claw mounts for all of them and never once scratched the receiver finish and I took them off every time I cleaned the weapons.

Grass Hopper must practice patience and a steady hand, say Confucius!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts