HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am new to this site and read many of the informative posts in the past.

I am preparing a move out of NYC to Florida and I spoke with 1PP and they stated that since I have a CCW in Florida, I can just take my guns with me after I cancel my premise permit. My question is, can I go to the airport with my permit/firearms and just fly out? Or do I risk arrest? Thanks for your help.

Rick

·
Registered
234 Posts
You can bring the guns on the plane as CHECKED lugage that is kept in a locking case (which can go into a larger suitcase. You must declare it at the airport when you come to the ticket counter. You must go to the ticket counter and not any automated check-in. You declare that you have an unloaded firearm in a locked case and show them your NYC permit. They may or may not want to inspect the gun and may even call Port Authority PD to do so. They then give you a little red tag to sign and date and put inside the gun case. You cannot have ammo inside the gun case but may have it inside your luggage if it is in the original box.

The only people who risk arrest are those trying to check in without a NYC or NY State permit. I am not sure about the NY State permit, as the city does not officially recognize them. The answer to this seems to depend who you ask and what police officers may be on duty in the airport at the time.

Be sure to allow yourself an extra hour or so to check in just to be 100% safe

·
Registered
163 Posts
Rick - I am not sure if you are canceling your NYC BEFORE you are leaving? I think your best bet is to ship to an FFL in Florida and then just pick up the guns when you get there. Could save you a lot of headaches.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rick - I am not sure if you are canceling your NYC BEFORE you are leaving? I think your best bet is to ship to an FFL in Florida and then just pick up the guns when you get there. Could save you a lot of headaches.
You're right, the FFL seems the way to go.

Also, I spoke with Port Authority Police and he stated that I am not allowed to bring the firearm to the airport with a premise(non-carry) permit because they will consider it "carrying" with a non-carry permit.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Dude I wouldn't risk it. FFL EVERYTHING. And I'm jealous... you're moving to state that will allow you to own anything. :)

Oh just remember when you do get to Florida to go convert to a Resident CCW.

EDIT: exactly. You can only bring to the airport if you're already in possession of a valid NYC license. Interesting to hear that 1PP told you to do that. Unless they were saying to take it there first, then cancel.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Also, I spoke with Port Authority Police and he stated that I am not allowed to bring the firearm to the airport with a premise(non-carry) permit because they will consider it "carrying" with a non-carry permit.
That makes no sense, but good luck fighting it. You are not carrying the gun but transporting it as you would to a shooting range in a locked box and in unloaded condition. Still, you will get no where trying to argue with them and might get in trouble. Not the way you want to leave NY.

·
Registered
234 Posts
For what it is worth, when I moved out of NYC, I drove my car with some of my guns in it and then mailed the permit back to 1PP with a letter explaining that I moved. But that was different under different circumstances and a long time ago.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bet you if I called port authority and get a different person I will get a different answer and the same goes for 1PP. NYC is soooo ridiculous with their "you can't do this and you can't do that" Jeeesh, sometimes I feel like a 6th grader dealing with these people.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
After reading some of the threads in this forum, the Kalifornia forum, and the Taxachusetts forum I wonder:

When did We lose our Independence, and how could We have let it happen so quietly?

·
Registered
159 Posts
After reading some of the threads in this forum, the Kalifornia forum, and the Taxachusetts forum I wonder:

When did We lose our Independence, and how could We have let it happen so quietly?
Although it's hard to pin down the EXACT moment at which the tide of freedom began to turn from near anarchy, to total governemt control.....but, I'd say around the time of the Civil War.

Everyone says that war was fought over slavery.....but it was a lot more than just that. I believe that the south was trying to avoid a future that mirrors our current day situation, and, they were completely justified in seceeding from the nation....because of a little clause that our Constitution begins with...."When in the course of human events...."

·
Preparing for the Zombies
423 Posts
welcome to the GUNshine state!

If you are moving to anywhere in North or West Florida I can most likely recommend a FFL if you choose to ship them. Something else you may consider is to fly out of PA or another state with your firearms. I know PA is a more gun friendly than NY and anyplace on Earth is more friendly than NYC. You might even have better luck flying out with them in just another city than NYC.

Something else you may want to consider is that if most of your stuff is NYC compliant - you might want to leave them in NYC! Once you get to Florida you might want to sell off your NYC compliant stuff and find that there is little to no market for them here - thus getting a lot less than you paid for them. Assuming everything is NYC compliant your best market would most likely be a NYC FFL? Just guessing there but it might be worth a think!

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
he does have a point. What you got? Maybe we'll buy them!

Why have crippled guns when you can get the full blown thing in Florida (and for even cheaper)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
welcome to the GUNshine state!

If you are moving to anywhere in North or West Florida I can most likely recommend a FFL if you choose to ship them. Something else you may consider is to fly out of PA or another state with your firearms. I know PA is a more gun friendly than NY and anyplace on Earth is more friendly than NYC. You might even have better luck flying out with them in just another city than NYC.

Something else you may want to consider is that if most of your stuff is NYC compliant - you might want to leave them in NYC! Once you get to Florida you might want to sell off your NYC compliant stuff and find that there is little to no market for them here - thus getting a lot less than you paid for them. Assuming everything is NYC compliant your best market would most likely be a NYC FFL? Just guessing there but it might be worth a think!
I'll be in Tallahassee. I also heard rumors that shipping my firearm(FFL) could run me $115 for each gun?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Why have crippled guns when you can get the full blown thing in Florida (and for even cheaper)
I am definitely considering selling two of my firearms and just keeping one. I am currently applying for self-sponsoring at the Pat Thomas Law Enforcement Academy, so if everything goes well, I will be in Tallahassee.

I have a Sig P220 Equinox, Glock 31 (.357) & Kimber Custom Eclipse 10mm. I will definitely part with the Sig & Kimber, because I hear the academy is no joke, so most of my time will be running & studying. Keeping one gun will be sufficient. Plus the extra cash won't hurt either.

Rick

·
Registered
234 Posts

Crippled guns? The only thing you are dealing with is lower cap magazines. Once you are in Florida it is an easy enough matter to buy high caps.

·
Preparing for the Zombies
423 Posts
I'll be in Tallahassee. I also heard rumors that shipping my firearm(FFL) could run me $115 for each gun?
I used to live in Tallahassee but it shouldn't cost anywhere near $115. I just sent out a Sig P556 from my FFL to Maine for $30 (that includes shipping and FFL transfer). You will have to use a FFL if you want to send just plain old USPS. Fed Ex and UPS will require you to overnight it - plus being in NYC - who knows what other BS you will get. I have heard many a person getting the run around from both of them because they didn't understand the process of shipping firearms.

Kevin's is a FFL in Tallahassee - http://www.kevinscatalog.com/contactus.asp
Tallahassee Gun and Pawn - http://tallahasseegunandpawn.com/index.html

Both of these places are good to deal with - I haven't done an FFL transfer from either but I know both do them.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Crippled guns? The only thing you are dealing with is lower cap magazines. Once you are in Florida it is an easy enough matter to buy high caps.
Not exactly... can't have pistol grips on semi autos, pistol mags have to be contained inside the grip (so GSG pistol is banned), no collapsible/folding stocks, etc. This pretty much cripples a lot (or bans them entirely) for NYC-compliant guns.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Make sure you keep good track of your paperwork. I wouldn't be surprised to see NYPD track down a large sudden transfer of firearms out of one NYC location to an out of state location with all the pressure Bl00mberg is putting on them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts