HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else encountered major issues with the way you are instructed to "clean" your MP5 .22?
I put about 1,000 rounds through mine with absolutely no problems, and it would have probably chewed up another 1,000 with ease.
But I decided to "clean" it for good measure. So I got a big can of Gun Scrubber and sprayed it out like the manual says and went through the barrel with a snake (finishing it up with a little oil of course.)
The only reason I didn't break it down completely was to avoid voiding the warranty.
I took it out the next day and felt that the bolt was extremely hard to charge, as if it was very gummed up.
At the range it would NOT repeatedly fire... The bolt didn't have enough energy to bring another round into the chamber...

So what was my reaction? I was pissed! That method of "cleaning" is NOT sufficient and will cause residue build up. Harming your weapon in the long run!
I took it home and COMPLETELY disassembled my MP5, and found an insane amount of build up.

Long story short, CLEAN YOUR MP5 .22 THE RIGHT WAY!!! Especially if you care about your gun and want it to function correctly!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I was going to add my 2 cents but then read what you did. .22 ammo is nasty dirty stuff and I was going to say Gunscrubber but you got that. You might try disassembly of major components soak overnight with solvent, then use the gunscrubber. The problem with most .22s is they have all these freaking nooks and crannies and that residue gets everywhere and all in there especially those with the sub frame assemblies. The easiest .22's I have to clean is a Mk11 pistol and a 10/22 and it is because it does not have all those spots.

·
Registered
18,635 Posts
I clean my MP522 according to the instructions and video after each range trip. It has gone through 2,800 rounds without any issues whatsoever. No FTF's, FTE's, etc.
I spray Gun Scrubber in the bolt, mag well, recoil, etc. several times, and brush those parts well to get rid of the build-up. Then wipe them off with cleaning patches and lube them well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I clean my MP522 according to the instructions and video after each range trip. It has gone through 2,800 rounds without any issues whatsoever. No FTF's, FTE's, etc.
I spray Gun Scrubber in the bolt, mag well, recoil, etc. several times, and brush those parts well to get rid of the build-up. Then wipe them off with cleaning patches and lube them well.
That's really interesting to hear... I seriously went through half a huge can of gun scrubber. It seemed as if the scrubber pushed most of the residue deeper into the gun... and yes I positioned the gun exactly as instructed.

Instead of fully disassembling it next time, I think I'll just pull the inner assembly out and give it as good of a scrub down as I can. Hopefully that does the job... but I doubt it!

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
As with ANY 22, use copper plated ammo to help ward off the lead blues. Yeah, it costs more but it shoots a bit cleaner. 22 ammo is the dirtiest ammo you can buy save Egyptian military surplus. Don't get me started on Egyptian ammo.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As with ANY 22, use copper plated ammo to help ward off the lead blues. Yeah, it costs more but it shoots a bit cleaner. 22 ammo is the dirtiest ammo you can buy save Egyptian military surplus. Don't get me started on Egyptian ammo.
Yep, I always use plated ammo. Usually CCI.
It's the powder that's causing the issues for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts