HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the 9mm and 40 caliber MP5 carriers any different? I know the bolt head is different but it does not seem that the carrier would have to be. If they are different would someone mind showing me? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The 40 and 10 have an extra piece on the bottom that catches on the bolt hold open.Other than that they are the same.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
The 40 and 10 have an extra piece on the bottom that catches on the bolt hold open.Other than that they are the same.
I think the carriers are different, but I don't think there is any extra part for the BHO device. It's just a tab that pops up and out in front of the carrier in the lower left cavity, under the rail indention.

The mag follower pushes the tab up into the path of the carrer by rotating a rod when the mag is empty, the tab is on the opposite end of the rod from the magazine. The release on the outside pushes the tab back down so the carrier can move forward.

I was surprised at just how simple of a device it was, all it required was a hole in the mag to get to the follower, and a few guides welded to the receiver.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Can anyone show pics of a 40 and 9mm carrier side by side?
There are pics of them on hkparts.net from the side where the BHO device would be, but I'm not sure if the one for the 40 is actually a /40 specific carrier or if he just reused the picture from a 9mm carrier since they look so similar.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw that and noticed that the pictures are probably the same.

I recently acquired a carrier that is supposed to be a factory MP5/40 carrier. It looks different than the 9mm carriers in that the left side of the rails are not cut away at all, they are full length as where the 9mm carriers are cut out in the centers I assume to lighten the carrier. The carrier is not marked in any way and I am looking for some way to verify that it is what it was supposed to be. Can anyone provide better info on the subject?

·
Registered
149 Posts
MP5/40 carrier

Tried to take non-blurry photos.
This is the older design (not tapered like MP5F). I believe your correct, he used the same pic for the MP5.40 bolt head

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Glock35. That is exactly what I needed to see. The carrier I have is identical except for a taper or step in the tube portion where the recoil spring goes.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I think the carriers are different, but I don't think there is any extra part for the BHO device. It's just a tab that pops up and out in front of the carrier in the lower left cavity, under the rail indention.

The mag follower pushes the tab up into the path of the carrer by rotating a rod when the mag is empty, the tab is on the opposite end of the rod from the magazine. The release on the outside pushes the tab back down so the carrier can move forward.

I was surprised at just how simple of a device it was, all it required was a hole in the mag to get to the follower, and a few guides welded to the receiver.
There is more meat on the carrier at the bottom for the BHO to catch the carrier.You can see it in a picture from the rear of the carrier when compared to a 9mm.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. You have verified that I got what I paid for. Have any of you guys ever seen parts like this that were not date coded?

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
There is more meat on the carrier at the bottom for the BHO to catch the carrier.You can see it in a picture from the rear of the carrier when compared to a 9mm.
Ok, I can see it in those pics. The lower left flange that slides under the guide rail is thicker.

Even though the pics were a little blurry, the extra thick flange can be seen.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Thanks guys. You have verified that I got what I paid for. Have any of you guys ever seen parts like this that were not date coded?
Yes, and I've also seen carriers with extremely faint date coding, it's always on the rear vertical surface in the lower right corner. I have an II carrier with really faint marks, and some vertical machining marks from the manufacturing process that almost mask them completely. If I didn't have another carrier to see where the marks were, you wouldn't know it was a date code.

·
Registered
10 Posts
All,

I know that this is an old thread, but I'm having trouble with my SW40 that I put together from a kit. It has trouble feeding and the bolt has trouble clearing the magazine. I have replaced the entire bolt head, recoil rod assembly, ejector, hammer and spring and trip lever (I'm FFL 07 / SOT) with not much change in performance. I was at a friend's house yesterday. He has an SW in 9mm. We compared the looseness of the bolt head to the carrier and in doing so, we noticed that the carriers are identical. I had read in the HK Armorers Manual that the carriers for the 9mm and the 40/10 cannot be interchanged. The pictures have disappeared from this thread and I was wondering if someone could repost them.

Thanks,

Carl

·
Registered
77 Posts
My bolt carrier is marked similarly to Aviator Dave's. When viewed under a magnifying glass I see the 11 topped with what appear to be *s.
Also the color of my carrier is a greenish grey I think. After looking around for photos in ads I believe it to be German though new ones look black as seen at HKPARTS

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did special weapons use 9mm guide rods and carriers in there 40's? I bought a "40" carrier off a guy that swears he bought it at sw in Mesa for his sw 40. It looks nothing like my carrier and my guide rod bushing won't fit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts