HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard it's more than 500,000 rounds. Is this true. I understand that a lot of things can affect this. I've been looking all over the internet and can't find anything on it. Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a 1984 vintage Pre-Sample MP5 that is on it's 3rd barrel.
I have worn out the 2nd barrel at about 65,000-70,000 rnds. Almost all in burst fire, very few "mag dumps", as I think it is a waste of ammo and bad for training.
Although, occasionally, it is fun!
The barrels are Hammer forged and very hard and wear resistant. H&K told me that 60,000-70,000 is normal wear for an H&K barrel of SMG caliber.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 1984 vintage Pre-Sample MP5 that is on it's 3rd barrel.
I have worn out the 2nd barrel at about 65,000-70,000 rnds. Almost all in burst fire, very few "mag dumps", as I think it is a waste of ammo and bad for training.
Although, occasionally, it is fun!
The barrels are Hammer forged and very hard and wear resistant. H&K told me that 60,000-70,000 is normal wear for an H&K barrel of SMG caliber.
Did you do the barrel change yourself? If so, did you use a body mandrel, which way does the pin come out, blah blah, etc etc???

I would like to do a barrel swap, and don't have anyone in my area that has the expertise. With a bit of tutorial, I may attempt it.

Any help appreciated..

P.S. Thanks to any other guys who advise, so and so can do it, doesn't help as I can't import my MP5 to your country. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Did you do the barrel change yourself? If so, did you use a body mandrel, which way does the pin come out, blah blah, etc etc???

I would like to do a barrel swap, and don't have anyone in my area that has the expertise. With a bit of tutorial, I may attempt it.

Any help appreciated..

P.S. Thanks to any other guys who advise, so and so can do it, doesn't help as I can't import my MP5 to your country. Cheers.
The pin will come out either way (if you look for posts by jfk about rebuilding an MP5k, he has lots of pics that cover it). A few that have done it say they don't press the pin out without first milling a hole through it with a carbide end mill.

Then you just use a press and a long rod and push it back in from the inside. Be sure to support the receiver by the trunnion only and not the receiver. I've seen descriptions of a few that have had the trunnion break loose from the receiver.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I've heard it's more than 500,000 rounds. Is this true. I understand that a lot of things can affect this. I've been looking all over the internet and can't find anything on it. Thanks
The MP5 book by Frank James tells of a range MP5 that was owned by the NASA security detail that had somewhere around 250,000 rounds through it that was still within accuracy specs. That is the most I have ever heard of.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Question: What do you consider "worn out"?

Do you mean that it will no longer hold X" small groups at XX yards distance? Or that you've waited long enough that the bullets are coming out sideways?

Has anyone ever put serious effort into chrome-lined barrels for extended barrel life?

Thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts

Do you mean that it will no longer hold X" small groups at XX yards distance? Or that you've waited long enough that the bullets are coming out sideways?

Has anyone ever put serious effort into chrome-lined barrels for extended barrel life?

Thanks.
Good question. I considered mine to be worn out when the bullet would drift 6-10" off target at 50yrds. You can't use that in a hostage situation!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks.
LOL !! Bullets coming out sideways. Now that would be a site to see. How would one check the barrel to see if it's within specs ? BTW my gun is coded IE and the barrel is JA. From what I understand it was a safe queen, but who really knows.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Good question. I considered mine to be worn out when the bullet would drift 6-10" off target at 50yrds. You can't use that in a hostage situation!
Okay, I guess I'd have to agree with you that 6-10" off at 50yds is indeed worn out. Just for clarification, do you mean 6-10" from POA, which would be a 12-20" group, or a 6-10" group? (I would consider neither one as acceptable.)

·
Registered
200 Posts
6-10" groups to way too much. These should shoot about a max spread of 2" groups with a new barrel, at 50 yrds. I have worn the 2nd barrel out so badly that it would shoot off by 2 feet at 100 yrds! The barrel looked polygonal but had hardly any lands left. The bullets just skipped down the barrel.

·
Er spricht schlechtes Deutsch...
1,849 Posts
The MP5 book by Frank James tells of a range MP5 that was owned by the NASA security detail that had somewhere around 250,000 rounds through it that was still within accuracy specs. That is the most I have ever heard of.
That was 541,000 to be closer to the ballpark.

·
Er spricht schlechtes Deutsch...
1,849 Posts
Nothing. The NASA barrel probably had the slugs rattling on their way down the barrel.

Thing is, these barrels will all shoot and last longer than we will put through them in their lifetimes. Indoor ranges in Vegas have horrifically high round counts probably over 100K, and they're still spitting them out. Just don't shoot for groups.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
That was 541,000 to be closer to the ballpark.
Doh! Ok, so I was off by a few hundred thousand. My copy says MP5 serial number 316019 shot 571,600 documented rounds. Accuracy? Nah. It had trouble hitting an IPSC target at 10 feet with full-auto. It says the lands and grooves were still visible, but didn't give any diameter measurements. The only parts replaced were springs, pins, extractors, rollers, a handguard, stock, and sight drum.

I'm thinking I won't shoot $60,000 worth of ammo in my lifetime.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts