HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im in the process of buying a mp5 clone and the owner states this is the heaviest barrel he has ever seen .. did hk ever make a heavy barreled mp5 ?
thanks HKsniper51

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
It's probably an early stainless SW MP5 barrel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sw? i wonder how good that is? i`ll prob have to get ahold of ghillie he built it

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
If Ghille built it you are in good shape.

He knows his stuff.

Plus having a heavy barrel seems like a positive to me.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
sw? i wonder how good that is? i`ll prob have to get ahold of ghillie he built it
The earlier thick SW barrels work fine. Their just a little heavier and the lugs may had to be fitted for the factory flash hider. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok kool thanks guys

·
Registered
209 Posts
The earlier thick SW barrels work fine. Their just a little heavier and the lugs may had to be fitted for the factory flash hider. I wouldn't worry about it.

Were the lugs on early SW barrels not correct or withing tolerances? I have a 2000 SW5FS that I'm wanting to SBR. I just bought a HK 3 lug flash hider, I hope it fits when I get my Form 1 back and remove the fake suppressor.

·
Registered
269 Posts
yes, there were many reports of out-of-spec-ed fittings. hopefully, during the
build, this would have been tested and corrected. but it never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
got me kinda bummed out now

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Were the lugs on early SW barrels not correct or withing tolerances? I have a 2000 SW5FS that I'm wanting to SBR. I just bought a HK 3 lug flash hider, I hope it fits when I get my Form 1 back and remove the fake suppressor.

Don't worry about the lugs if they're slightly off. You can fix it with a small fine file. I noticed the edges of the lugs were a little too square and it can be fixed with a few little passes on the corners.

There will be a total of six areas (two sides per lug) that can be done within 3-5 minutes. If your barrel needs to be fixed, remember to use equal passes on each corner, which is very little material is removed.

The barrel can be refinished with the barrel tip being masked off and Gunkoted. You can heat the tip up with a hair dryer or heat gun for a few minutes and you're finished.

PS: The lugs are fine for mounting flash hider, sound suppressors. The diameter is fine and that's what the lugs go off of. As long as you don't get happy with the file, you'll be fine.

These are just the little things that inspire people to work on their own guns. I bought a junk Century Arms .308 rifle which caused nothing but headaches. I ended learning the whole build process from working on that gun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts