HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to have ghillie build a mp5 clone for me and i am curious if any one has a source for a 16" barrel that will work for this build. I don't want to go the SBR route. I saw that on IGF's website they convert hk 94's to mp5 clones by replacing the barrel, does anyone know if they sell the old hk 94 16" barrels? I tried contacting them and have not received a response. Or is it going to be better to get a fake can installed on the mp5 barrel?

·
Banned
599 Posts
if you would have a 16 inch barrel it would be consider a hk94 i assume, a fake can is fake I have one on a mp5 and i hate it with pasion it has no function other then bring up the barrel to legal length ..you might try your luck on gunbroker or in the want to buy section on this board.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Personally, I would have it built with a standard 8.85" MP5 barrel and pin a fake suppressor to it. This gives you options in the future such as SBRing it for yourself, or, an easier sell in the future to someone who wants an SBR.

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
Personally, I would have it built with a standard 8.85" MP5 barrel and pin a fake suppressor to it. This gives you options in the future such as SBRing it for yourself, or, an easier sell in the future to someone who wants an SBR.
Agree with this. I also think the faux suppressors look fine on the full size guns, and prefer the look over a 16" barrel. I had Dakota Tactical do a little engraving on my fake can to make it look a little more authentic.

D54P-8 by HKnut, on Flickr

·
Registered
482 Posts
Agree with this. I also think the faux suppressors look fine on the full size guns, and prefer the look over a 16" barrel. I had Dakota Tactical do a little engraving on my fake can to make it look a little more authentic.

D54P-8 by HKnut, on Flickr
+1 to the pinned fake can. The MP5 has so many options for stocks,forearms,lowers it would be a shame to limit the SBR route for yourself or the next owner. Once you get your rifle back from Ghillie and see how fun the clone is to shoot the form1 SBR might seem to be the next step. YMMV,Ronnie

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
These guns really come into their own after being sbr'd. Honestly. Shooting it as a pistol is ok. Shooting it as a 16" rifle is ok. But shooting it as an 8.85" 3 lug barreled rifle is freaking awesome.

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
did you purchase the fake can from dt, or did they only do the engraving
I bought the can from IGF and had Dakota Tactical do the engraving when they built the gun. I'm not sure if DT is manufacturing fake cans or not at this point.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I am going to have ghillie build a mp5 clone for me and i am curious if any one has a source for a 16" barrel that will work for this build. I don't want to go the SBR route. I saw that on IGF's website they convert hk 94's to mp5 clones by replacing the barrel, does anyone know if they sell the old hk 94 16" barrels? I tried contacting them and have not received a response. Or is it going to be better to get a fake can installed on the mp5 barrel?
Not wanting to offend you, but just checking that you are aware of 922(R) restrictions in building a "non sporting use" rifle. Building a HK94 clone would require a bunch of US parts. Not to say the Jeff wouldn't build you a great rifle, but it would be a drag to ship him a MP5 parts set and a HK94 barrel, only to find that you'd have to ship him a bunch of US parts.

If you have your heart set on a HK94 clone, Special Weapons/Coharie Arms made a clone of that model. Watch GB, Sturm, Subguns, etc and I'm sure you could find one. Good luck with your clone project.

Scott

·
Registered
95 Posts
i would go for the standard short barrel and use a fake can from title II arms. there stuff is really nice and if you ever want to sbr it you dont have to cut your 16 in down or replace it. imho

·
Registered
563 Posts
if you dont like the fake can heres another option . barrel extension , i prefer them over a fake can , ive been
eyeballing the same idea...

Urbach Barrel Extender 1/2 x 32 - HKPARTS.NET

looks like the 1/2 x28 is out of stock only the 1/2x32 but you can google barrel extensions and find a few others wit the holes / tech 9 kinda look ... just an option

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was in the same boat a few months back when I was putting together my first build. Being in CA I can not have an SBR and having it as a pistol is not practical. I wasn't and still aren't certain about laws pertaining to welded on barrel extenders in my state and didn't want to deal w/ it. I got myself a full length 16" barrel and having my kit built into a rifle, 922r parts compliant and all. Looking at DT's wait times, I hope I can have my rifle completed before 12/10/12. 10 day wait in CA puts me at 12/20/12 - just in time for doomsday.

*if you decide on the 16" barrel route - just to let you know, original HK's do not seem to be very plentiful. I had to search pretty much every gun site, everyday for a few months to get two. Both from here. Good luck what whichever you decide.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
if you dont like the fake can heres another option . barrel extension , i prefer them over a fake can , ive been
eyeballing the same idea...

Urbach Barrel Extender 1/2 x 32 - HKPARTS.NET

looks like the 1/2 x28 is out of stock only the 1/2x32 but you can google barrel extensions and find a few others wit the holes / tech 9 kinda look ... just an option
Out of curiousity what does this provide that a fake can doesn't? I would think that this would make the gun look strange, but I haven't seen a pic of a gun with one of these attached. At least a fake can keeps the aesthetics of the gun true to original (assuming the fake can is well done). This extension seems like it would change the natural appearance of an MP5 and detract from the look. Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Out of curiousity what does this provide that a fake can doesn't? I would think that this would make the gun look strange, but I haven't seen a pic of a gun with one of these attached. At least a fake can keeps the aesthetics of the gun true to original (assuming the fake can is well done). This extension seems like it would change the natural appearance of an MP5 and detract from the look. Can you post a pic?
i doubt that this offers anything at all over a fake can , just something different to look at ....if original look is what your after this
is not for you most likely . just a personal choice if you have to go 16" i just get annoyed when i would take my gsg-5 out
somewhere and get lots of question about my sweet "silencer " and id have to explain it was fake .
i guess it may offer some amount of flash suppression since the ID appears larger than a fake can plus the vent holes .
i dont have a picture of this on a HK but you can google image search barrel extension and find plenty of other options usually in 1/2x28 for AR's of left threaded versions for AK's
dane421 said he owned one in a very old post ...maybe he would chime in or could be asked about it

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
Just get it built as a pistol I'd say. SBR it later on your own time. That's what Ghillie did for me and she runs like a top.

-HH

1 - 17 of 17 Posts