HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Vollmer MP5 sear gun. I shoot both factory and my own reloads. For quite a long time it has been maintenance free. In the past two years I have had two firing pins that had their tip break off. As luck would have it, both occurred during a match - oh well.... I don't know if the pins were OEM. Any suggestions from the RKI's out there why this may be occurring and how to prevent it? Thanks

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
How does your bolt gap look?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Within spec but on the skinny side of the range; that hasn't changed since I bought it; it's not in front of me now but I seem to recall the gap was 12 thousandth

·
Registered
77 Posts
Why do you not try a OEM firing pin and see what happens? It might help to put in a known quality firing pin in to replace the broken one. If it breaks again in a short period of time then look elsewhere. Also your bolt gap is within specs.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I have a Vollmer MP5 sear gun. I shoot both factory and my own reloads. For quite a long time it has been maintenance free. In the past two years I have had two firing pins that had their tip break off. As luck would have it, both occurred during a match - oh well.... I don't know if the pins were OEM. Any suggestions from the RKI's out there why this may be occurring and how to prevent it? Thanks
Do you still have either of the two firing pins still?

Like Chuck's idea of starting with a known German OEM firing pin and see how it holds up. Might be time to consider new springs (recoil spring, hammer spring and firing pin spring).

·
Registered
628 Posts
First question I had was which hammer spring are you running? If it's a rifle spring try switching back to a pistol spring. Perhaps the heavier "F" model (twisted wire) FP spring would also help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pistol. I didn't keep either FP. I did replace both spring and FP after last failure with OEM parts. We'll see what happens now. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts