HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been kicking around a mate to my MP5 fullsize. I just saw Coharie/BMP/whoever is doing Fullsize-Ks. Being the normal receiver with the short barrel, cocking tube.

Are there any disadvantages to this setup that I am unaware of? The issues I know of are:

• The K fullsize is longer than a real K receiver... but how much? A saw a photo that looked to be approx 1".
  • You can't use any K stock or trigger pack... but if I already own a fullsize, that's kind of better for me for parts interchange isn't it?
  • A custom recoil guide rod must be used, I read a length of 8 7/16" total, made from a G3. I have no idea what spring to start with.

Is this is a legit way to get a slightly longer, but far less expensive version of a K? Am I missing anything regarding the shoot-ability or function?

With a Fullsize-K receiver, the extra MP5 parts I already own (stocks, trigger pack, bolt head), all I need is a K carrier and locking piece? Right?

I hate to even ask this.... but how are the latest Coharie/BMP/ToddyB receivers? If I'm JUST using their receiver is it in spec enough to work as well as an MKE?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Other than the purist part of owning a real K, nothing really wrong with them. Parts interchangeability is a plus. I'm a purist though so I'm planning on getting a true K. Just something about the way it looks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Other than the purist part of owning a real K, nothing really wrong with them. Parts interchangeability is a plus. I'm a purist though so I'm planning on getting a true K. Just something about the way it looks.
That was my thought, but I wanted to check. I'm way too poor to be a purist :)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
What is the size difference between the two?

Form what I've heard the difference is about .900". Because the "full-size "K", A.K.A. reverse stretch, uses the regular lower grip frame and A3 stock, I favor it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Form what I've heard the difference is about .900". Because the "full-size "K", A.K.A. reverse stretch, uses the regular lower grip frame and A3 stock, I favor it.
Exactly. For .9" I'll count that as small enough considering the advantages.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
That was my thought, but I wanted to check. I'm way too poor to be a purist :)
Not really sure where you're getting that a real K is so much more expensive thank a reverse stretch. Except parts interchangeability, they cost about the same.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I love them both. A reverse stretch with a A3 F-stock is titties, But a k with a choate is fantastic too. Too hard to pick, I would do both!

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
I LOVE the reverse stretch (fullsize K). If I had to pick one gun out of my collection to keep, the fullsize and SD would go way before the reverse stretch. It is the perfect balance in size for me, and it feels so good to shoot. Get a B&T folder for it, and you will never look back.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Funny to see this post after our discussion this past weekend. I see you made it home safe and sound!

So I have both. Some like the purist sense, but I like my full size "K" the best. Trigger packs & stocks switch in mere seconds. It's runs at a nice pace, and I found it performs nicely in full auto.

The recoil rod is cut down from a MP5 rod with a K spring. Takes about 10 minutes to make. As for the true K, it's just fine and travels with me as a pistol on motorcycle road trips. Small, destinctive, and accurate but for run it just doesn't do it for me.

Good luck!

Jesse

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Lol. Yep. I was waiting on you to comment on here Jesse! Like we discussed this weekend, I'm just a purist. I did like your reverse stretch. I just like your real K better! And the 53!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Perfect. Ok, now I just need to price out my options. It seems black market / bailey is going to be cheapest, and I really haven't heard any awful things lately so I guess I could consider them. Anyone else I should check? I'd like to keep the barreled receiver under $750 if possible.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
DJF is supposed to be offering barreled uppers. They're a but pricier but he's a well respected member here. And his uppers have more features.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
DJF is supposed to be offering barreled uppers. They're a but pricier but he's a well respected member here. And his uppers have more features.
+1. You get what you pay for. Personally, I find the reverse stretch the best of both worlds. The K barrel is much more comfortable with a can and I prefer the A3 stock of a full size than the K side folder. Good luck with the project.

Scott

·
Registered
367 Posts
I hear this term a lot, what does "reverse stretch" mean?

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I hear this term a lot, what does "reverse stretch" mean?
The MP5K stock mounts inside the gun and uses two push pins plus a different trigger housing, compared to the "full size" MP5 which uses the same single push pin over the stock mounting as used on the HK93 (different recoil systems maybe found between 9mm and 223).

Thus if you took the front half of the MP5K, with the short barrel and K grip and married it with the rear most part of the "full size" MP5, using the single push pin over the stock mounting - one has (to the best of my understanding) a "Reverse Stretch" ..... will leave to someone with a "Reverse Stretch" in front of them to cover the carrier and recoil spring rod.

HKPro thread which I am "borrowing" the follow photo of MP5A3 above a MP5K-PDW http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/148699-help-me-choose-mp5-mp5k-clone.html Note that thread "borrowed" the photo from programmatore.

Next photo is of one of Jeff's reverse stretch MP5s done for localizer11 and the image was "borrowed" from http://www.hkpro.com/forum/range-report/135919-ghilliebear-reverse-stretch-sbr.html

Previous Threads on Reverse Stretch:
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hkpro-me...her-reverse-stretch-born-dakota-tactical.html
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-rookie-corner/153737-pros-cons-reverse-stretch-mp5k.html
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/152951-bmp-mp5k-reverse-stretch-bolt-locking-piece.html
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/145801-wtk-what-going-rate-mp5-reverse-stretch.html
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/145681-reverse-stretch-options.html

·
Registered
536 Posts
What a great post John. You've even given correct credit and citations. This should be a Wikipedia page!

Love the reverse if I hadn't already said it.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
If going small ... then go real small :).

Other option is HK53
Follow on my comments, the short overall length of the MP5K is a combination of the shorter front barrel and cocking tube combined with a shorter rear frame. The stock-less MP5K can be carrier in places where ever inch counts. Once you ad the PDW stock it does not get much longer, which the A3 stock does (in a particular the new F type A3 stocks). Once you stop trying to carry a MP5 on your person then the reverse stretch is interesting as suppressor host.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts