HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has there ever been plans for an MP5/HK53 in the .30 carbine round?, Would it be more powerful than the existing 9mm round?

·
Registered
28 Posts
.30 carbine is almost impossible to get to be accurate.

Not exactly a good choice for an SMG- there are much better ones out there.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Just go for an HK53 clone. .223 in an MP5 package. Cant get much better than that :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
.223 vs .30 Carbine

Though .30 Carbine cartridge is much maligned because of its shortcomings during the WW2 and Korean War, the recently manufactured 110gr JSP either from Remington or Winchester are good performers both thru calibrated gelatin and thru automobile windshield glass. According to Dr. Roberts, it even exceeds its performance than the best .223/5.56mm ammo in terms of terminal effects. As Dude stated barrel length of the HK53 may be the limiting factor in .30 Carbine chambering and it may be good if H&K apply this cartridge on longer HK33/HK93 rifles.

I assume that many .223 users in this forum knows the reduction on terminal effects of the .223 when used in abbreviated barrels (less 14-inch barrel length). I admit that having HK53 might be fun as F22 Raptor is happy about it.

Better chamberings such as 6mm x 35 may be even better for HK53 envelope, as this cartridge may be the answer to PDW requirement and has better performance than 5.56mm using the same weapon platform.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
It can be a very accurate round. I use to have an old Blackhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel and it was a one-incher at 50 yards off rest. Muzzle blast and cylinder gap flash was nothing short of Gabriel blowing his horn. It was a great ground-hog pistol and good gawd almighty it would blow a hole in a groundhog like nothing you ever saw. Those little 110 gr. half jacket bullets Hornady use to make were devastating on pasture poodles.
It will almost equal the .357 Magnum in power (within 100 fps) with the powders we had back then and while much maligned it is a very potent round with the right bullet.
I'd love to see a quality firearm like the HK in the .30 carbine. I don't think it would sell very well and we'll never see it but it would be fun. No matter how good the .30 C is there is just too much stigma attached to it for it to ever catch on as a self defense round. It is a good cartridge but between the FMJ bullet and the inaccurate M1 it just could not perform to its full potential.

·
Registered
62 Posts
muzzle blast with commercial rounds is incredible. I had a friend who had one of the old AMT 1911 pattern 30 Carbine pistols. The only load data I could ever find for it in pistol was for the Blackhawk and well, this just didn't work as it wouldn't cycle the slide. I ended up wildcatting the round to work with faster powder and cut down the muzzle blast and made it able to cycle. IIRC, I used a powder that was pretty common to being used in the 357 Mag and it worked beautifully though I'm not sure exactly what that powder is anymore. Maybe Accurate Arms #9 but don't quote me on that one. I think it would make a fine subgun round and you sure could fill the mags up a lot because it is so skinny. I'd love to see an MP5 in this round but will not hold my breath on it ever being made.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hold on to your horses! Before we dismiss the .30 Carbine as a high sounding, high blasting round, we have to remember that 5.56mm/.223 cartridge has also high muzzle blast in HK53 barrel length.

But when both fired in 16-inch barrel, .30 Carbine have softer blast and yet has better barrier penetration on common obstacles than the best 5.56mm/.223 cartridge.

As for the inherent accuracy or lack thereof, few will deny that the shooters' proficiency are usually the weakest link on the accuracy both in the range and on SHTF situations. Given a choice, I will choose the .30 Carbine cartridge (or better yet, 7.62mmX39). The M1 Carbine's advantages are lightweight and its simplicity.

Anyone who are recoil sensitive on 12-ga shotgun may find the M1 Carbine a viable alternative for home-defense. Much better choice than pistol-caliber semi-auto carbine!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts