HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I took out my Z5RS 1st time with red dot and first time running 147gr Speer lawman TMJ Subsonic Shot great ran about 400 rounds no FTF or FTE ran fantastic suppressed. Back to the red dot cheek weld was nonexistent more like a jaw bone weld since the mount was 1/3. And I hate cowitness no go for me, one or the other. I just removed the rail and red dot. Like it simple and clean and lighter. I really prefer the irons only.

Had the suppressor pistol adapter locked on to the CZ. That suppressor prefers the CZ it seems SP01 ran so quite.
Had to use a strap wrench to break free to put on the 3 lug adapter Back on. Cleaned with Simple green seemed to work well.

I’m just rocking the irons they are amazing!!! What you guys like to run red dots or irons? Irons for me.

https://youtu.be/r-ZMocMm-jc

Attachments

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
The irons are too low of a sight picture for me, feels like I have to bury my face into the brace. They would probably be just fine if I used ear plugs instead of ear muffs, but with the muffs- I struggle with getting a good sight picture with the irons along with keeping a good seal on my muffs. For me, full cowitness would be kind of against the point so I am rocking a holosun 510c which is perfect for me, does not do any kind of cowitness but it has a QD mount so I could pop it off fairly quickly if I needed the irons.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is there a good red dot low enough to do both and cowitness?

Battle Steel makes an Aimpoint Micro form factor absolute co witness mount.

Shield sells an absolute co witness mount for their RMS/SMS mini sight.

With middle age I don't see as well as I used to in low light, but have not quite given up to try one of those options.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
why would you want to co witness that big ass drum that blocks half the viewing area?
Yeah thats what im saying supper clustered up. I learned that back in 2005. Also I might add ive never had irons and redot with the same cowitness irons were sighted in, then redot sighted in they never cowitnessed for me.

·
Registered
605 Posts
why would you want to co witness that big ass drum that blocks half the viewing area?
Handy when shooting in the dark, but not everyone want/gets to do this. I use the battlesteel mount for co witness and do not mind the rear sight as I use the full aperture.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
MFI ultra low profile mount, with an Aimpoint T1. Absolute co-witness. Use the same set up on my HK91, as well.

The HK irons are great; but irons on any platform are a PITA when dealing with non-convention shooting positions. Additionally, as has been mentioned, having a red dot makes shooting in the dark much better.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MFI ultra low profile mount, with an Aimpoint T1. Absolute co-witness. Use the same set up on my HK91, as well.

The HK irons are great; but irons on any platform are a PITA when dealing with non-convention shooting positions. Additionally, as has been mentioned, having a red dot makes shooting in the dark much better.
Good points...

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is where I ended up. I can use the iron sights through the scalar works mount. Raise your head a little to use the RDS. I just installed an XS dot front sight today.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thats Very NICE!
Thanks! I bought it as a braced pistol, I was just going to leave alone and shoot it. That didn't happen quite the way I'd originally planned.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
@Bigboy556, glad you're enjoying your Z5! Looks like you had a fun shoot.

The above setup looks great, but optic is too high up for me. If the sight is any higher than the irons and my face isn't buried into the A2 stock or the wire on the A3, I'm not as repeatable. Considering the era, the mp5 was designed with irons in mind. When I lock all the way down on my cheek to view the irons, my face goes to the same place every time. I continue to explore new optics, but keep coming back to the irons. PS: If you think you may want to cowitness an RDS, I might suggest trying the mp5 white dot night sight out first- very nice and high contrast.

Not to start an "HK shoulda" rant, but I bet the LE community who is into SMGs might be interested in a factory railed mp5 without a front sight (heresy I know). Maybe it would come with a raised stock for a higher cheekweld appropriate for the expected optics.

Now I'm just rambling, but if you want to experience some great diopters, run a few rounds through a Swiss SIG or SAN 550!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
IMHO , everyone has a different build, so one persons setup may not work for another . It's a expensive trial & error thing . I have a same KAC handguard and mount on my "MP5" as nimslow, I just use a RMR on a high mount or Aimpoint T-1 on a low mount , or I can take the KAC HG off and put a HK rail and use a Eotech EXPS3 , which is bigger and has fastest target accusation then all the red dots . All red dots are generally faster than irons . If you wanna get fast rounds in the perp nothing beats a red dot. Ascetics and looks really do not matter , what works the best is what I go with & really don't care if it co witness , 1/3 ect . People wanna keep their gun plain & pretty with sexy MP5 lines, well next time you have to really use it , please ask a bad guy "hey come look at my pretty MP5 , I keep the dang thing sexy " before you shoot him , or he may just drool over your gun and give up.
cheers

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IMHO , everyone has a different build, so one persons setup may not work for another . It's a expensive trial & error thing . I have a same KAC handguard and mount on my "MP5" as nimslow, I just use a RMR on a high mount or Aimpoint T-1 on a low mount , or I can take the KAC HG off and put a HK rail and use a Eotech EXPS3 , which is bigger and has fastest target accusation then all the red dots . All red dots are generally faster than irons . If you wanna get fast rounds in the perp nothing beats a red dot. Ascetics and looks really do not matter , what works the best is what I go with & really don't care if it co witness , 1/3 ect . People wanna keep their gun plain & pretty with sexy MP5 lines, well next time you have to really use it , please ask a bad guy "hey come look at my pretty MP5 , I keep the dang thing sexy " before you shoot him , or he may just drool over your gun and give up.
cheers
True I found RDS much faster, and less eye strain.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I use the hosum green dot love it. But if the front sight didn’t look blurry, I would have stuck with those. Gettin old has some disadvantages, but not quite ready for the alternative.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts