HKPRO Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I use the hosum green dot love it. But if the front sight didn’t look blurry, I would have stuck with those. Gettin old has some disadvantages, but not quite ready for the alternative.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Irons.

Love the classic look of the platform.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I chased the cowitness thing and didn't end up liking it. the red dot was slightly off the front post center when zero'd which drove me nuts. Plus it was very cluttered tbh. I have the MFI low mount and an Aimpoint T1. It will cowitness if I look through the irons, but I end up looking over the rear drum sight to use the dot. If I want to use irons, I just turn off the dot and look through it like it's not there.

Sight picture with cowitness

Sight picture looking over the rear sight drum

My other clone setup is a MRO, which obviously is dot only.

·
Priest of the P7
4,795 Posts
MP5K - 1.jpg

I ended up using this RMR mount on all my MP5ish guns. Clean, low pro, co-witness with the front post and so fast to acquire and transition. Centering the front post in the window still works well in close quarters should the dot die. I can't imagine doing anything else on these guns now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I chased the cowitness thing and didn't end up liking it. the red dot was slightly off the front post center when zero'd which drove me nuts. Plus it was very cluttered tbh. I have the MFI low mount and an Aimpoint T1. It will cowitness if I look through the irons, but I end up looking over the rear drum sight to use the dot. If I want to use irons, I just turn off the dot and look through it like it's not there.

I just ordered a B&T low mount gonna give cowitness a try on this platform. Stock Zenith rail is way to high. If I don’t like it I can always use the same set up I have now it should drop optic lower with a lower rail mount. Be here Friday we will see. Pricey trial and error as stated before.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok got my B&T mount in and mounted with red dot lollipop 🍭 it up. Still need to sight the red dot in this misconception about line red dot 🔴 with irons & your dot is miraculous sighted in has never worked for me ever so I’m calling BS. Scout light mounted up. SHES FINISHED!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok got my B&T mount in and mounted with red dot lollipop �� it up. Still need to sight the red dot in this misconception about line red dot �� with irons & your dot is miraculous sighted in has never worked for me ever so I’m calling BS. Scout light mounted up. SHES FINISHED!
that turned out great

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Factory irons are great.

Until they aren't. Get older, folks. Eyes just don't work like they used to and optics of some sort become a must to remain proficient with the weapon.

There's a reason the worlds top, fastest shooters use optics/red dots. You won't see alcohol engines in top fuel much like you won't see iron sights in open class. Dots are faster, a single focus plane, both eyes open.
I didn't say I liked it, it's just the way it is. Having better than 20/20 all my life I always prided myself on my vision and ability to use irons. those days started to leave me about ten years ago so now I have to figure out how to put optics on every-damn thing. Being no fan of rails on HK types, the compromise has been begrudgingly. I'd still rather bolt them on than weld them, however.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Did you sight in the RDS or just align it with irons?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The irons while great are going to take quite a bit of practice before they'll be as fast for me as shooting a red dot on my 9mm AR build. Unfortunately my used Zenith didn't come with the red dot mount so I can't test a red dot in the mp5. Playing on a plate rack at 20 yards, the irons are definitely bit slower than a red dot. This is even more noticeable when it's dark outside.

I'm curious how a 503 cir let dot reticle would look cowitnessed with irons. I wonder if it'd be too cluttered or if it may line up with the front hood.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you sight in the RDS or just align it with irons?
I aligned it on the front site post at my house and it was a good bit off at the range. Again, that was my issue, once I zero'd the optic, the dot wasn't lined up with the front site post, which drove me nuts. That's why I just look over the rear drum to use the red dot. I've also found the same to be true regarding RMRs on pistols. Slaving the dot to the front site is a good starting point when zeroing the optic. I've used this method for my pistol red dots and it works fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EINDUy_ZrBc

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I aligned it on the front site post at my house and it was a good bit off at the range. Again, that was my issue, once I zero'd the optic, the dot wasn't lined up with the front site post, which drove me nuts. That's why I just look over the rear drum to use the red dot. I've also found the same to be true regarding RMRs on pistols. Slaving the dot to the front site is a good starting point when zeroing the optic. I've used this method for my pistol red dots and it works fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EINDUy_ZrBc
Yes I understand, reason I asked that was it seemed the RDS was sitting perfect on the front sight post. Great vid aswell attached seen it before. Ill sight mine in this week see what happens Ill post results.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The irons are too low of a sight picture for me, feels like I have to bury my face into the brace. They would probably be just fine if I used ear plugs instead of ear muffs, but with the muffs- I struggle with getting a good sight picture with the irons along with keeping a good seal on my muffs. For me, full cowitness would be kind of against the point so I am rocking a holosun 510c which is perfect for me, does not do any kind of cowitness but it has a QD mount so I could pop it off fairly quickly if I needed the irons.
I’m thinking of doing the same thing. Could you post a pic of your setup? I’m curious how big the optic looks up there.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I’m thinking of doing the same thing. Could you post a pic of your setup? I’m curious how big the optic looks up there.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

243664d1571262092-clone-pic-thread-can-we-all-see-what-you-got-ptr-1-3.jpg

Let me know if you'd like some more, I have plenty.

I will say that it looks/seems bigger in pictures. In person, I find it to be perfect.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts