HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you disassemble a MP5 mag. Wanting to do some cleaning and cant get the dang things apart.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
This is a quote from an old manual I have for the 9mm mags,
Hold the mag in the left hand with the floor plate pointing up and the lips resting on the table.
Depress and hold the Locking Plate.
Pointing the mag away from your face, insert the cleaning rod into the hole in the base of the Floor Plate, push down on the locking plate about 2 inches and hold there. Shift your grip so that the left hand is holding the cleaning rod and magazine in place.
Remove Floor Plate.
Take a flathead screwdriver in the right hand and push both floor plate tabs, located on the front and back of the mag housing, inward to disengage the floor plate. Remove the floor plate from the base of the housing.
Release Locking plate.
Slowly and carefully release pressure on the cleaning rod and allow the locking plate and mag spring to exit the bottom of the housing.
Remove mag spring, locking plate and mag follower.
Remove the magazine spring with the follower attached from the housing.

Do not remove the locking plate from the magazine spring!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I have to necropost this... I tried for about 15 minutes today to get the magazine back together and quit. I have done it once before. Do any of you veteran MP5 guys have a trick for this? All I can find on youtube is airsoft crap!

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,215 Posts
I have to necropost this... I tried for about 15 minutes today to get the magazine back together and quit. I have done it once before. Do any of you veteran MP5 guys have a trick for this? All I can find on youtube is airsoft crap!
What part of the reassembly is kicking your ass?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Getting the floor plate to lock into place. The two tabs on each side are really stiff and difficult to get into the magazine body.

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,215 Posts
Getting the floor plate to lock into place. The two tabs on each side are really stiff and difficult to get into the magazine body.
You need to ensure that the locking plate is correctly oriented; it is not unidirectional. If you turned it around, it will not fit correctly in relation to the floor plate.
Once that is done, slide all the parts into the magazine body (except the floor plate) and hold in place with your thumb.
Then grab the floor plate and insert it at an angle so that one of the locking tabs is slightly higher inside the magazine body than the other.
Using a punch, come in from the bottom, through the hole in the floor plate and force the locking plate and magazine spring up into the magazine body, relieving pressure, and press up on the opposite locking tab on the floor plate.
If the floor plate and it's tabs are tight, try positioning the magazine on the edge of your work bench and forcing pressure down.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
It really is an exercise that will do a number on your hands if you're taking apart and reassembling 10 or more mags. Does anyone just dip their MP5 mags into solution rather than taking them apart? I would like to clean mine more often since I shoot full auto and with a suppressor, but the thought of doing it makes it not likely to happen with any real frequency.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I guess I have been spoiled after years of taking apart, and cleaning AK, USP, and G36 magazines. G36 magazines are by far the easiest.

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,215 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The magazines are a perfect example of German over-engineering!!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
The magazines are a perfect example of German over-engineering!!
Yea seriously. I even took the floor plate and put it in a vice to bend the tabs inward slightly. I could see them bending in the vice, backed it out, they went right back to their original shape. And I did that about 4 times until I realized I was going down the wrong track and the metal was not sourced from earth.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Yea seriously. I even took the floor plate and put it in a vice to bend the tabs inward slightly. I could see them bending in the vice, backed it out, they went right back to their original shape. And I did that about 4 times until I realized I was going down the wrong track and the metal was not sourced from earth.
Yeah, I thought for sure a few times I was going to bend them up too, but that's got to be spring steel they used....

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Marine's advice worked. I will post a video on how to do this.
So did this video ever get posted? If so, could we please have a link?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts