HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone. I'm planning an MP5 clone and will begin purchasing parts over the next few months. I wan't to break this down into small purchases along the way starting with a demilled MP5 front end. I've been searching all weekend for a list of parts and prices for a complete kit to send off to one of our fine builders here. I can't find anything and was wondering if someone could provide me with a link or perhaps someone has a general idea of parts and cost breakdown of everything needed. I plan on keeping this as a pistol until I get my Form 1 approved for SBR. I don't want to purchase one of the parts kits from Hkparts only because I can't justify the money right now with too many other things going on.

The prices are kind of all over the board right now for parts so I'm looking for fair prices on these parts. Has anyone ever broke down the parts list and prices for this?

My Hk91 is on it's way to Ghillie right now so I'm sure I'll be talking to him in the next few days and I can talk with him about this, but thought I'd get a jump on the conversation so I can bring something to the table. This will be my first clone build and looking for some advise. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Find a front end, get a trigger pack, buy an RCM bcg from hkparts, a buttstock, forend, and that's pretty much it. Oh and magazines.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I should edit...I understand the parts list, it's the prices that seem to have so many variables. I see some MP5 front ends go for roughly $450-$500, but then also see them up to $900. I'm not talking about the MP5 SD front ends, just the standard front ends. I'm just looking for fair market prices for some of these parts and don't want to get gouged as a noob clone parts collector.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've been eyeing that MP5A2 kit and that's definitely a straight forward approach to getting one completed, I was just wanting to spread the cost out over a few months. There's something satisfying, or should I say, OCD like, in collecting parts and storing them away. It also makes it easier for me not having to drop $2400 up front...rather spend a few hundred here and there. So, when it's completed I can talk myself into saying it only cost me a few hundred bucks. :wink:

I've been looking at this front end, but damn it looks hacked! More so than others I've seen. But I like the price.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=300384714

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
That's the main parts and that front end would be fine. Except it's missing the mag release set.

·
Registered
563 Posts
We think alike , lol . I did the same except I bought everything individual . My advice is be semi patient and go OCD on the searches . Make a list of every part you need and watch the Wts parts boards everyday . Gunbroker everyday , Sturmgewehr Wts adds everyday , heck I checked them every hour ... Still do . When u find a deal on a part buy it . Check it of your list .
Oh yeah even eBay . Watched a ambi trigger pack and housing sell for like 160 the other day
You can make it happen . Just keep your eyes peeled

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey Rocket, I don't mean to hijack your thread but I am currently doing the same thing. I have done searching on this topic for many weeks on this sight and have found a lot of information, however I am still pretty lost. Maybe we are both looking for the same thing...

Can someone post a list (or link) to a complete parts list that you would need to do a build? Also for a K? I plan on doing an SBR so I just want to go part by part and get the US made parts I need from the start rather than buying a kit. Also, if I spend small amounts here and there maybe (just maybe) my wife won't notice : )

Thanks guys... and sorry again Rocket

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Hey Rocket, I don't mean to hijack your thread but I am currently doing the same thing. I have done searching on this topic for many weeks on this sight and have found a lot of information, however I am still pretty lost. Maybe we are both looking for the same thing...

Can someone post a list (or link) to a complete parts list that you would need to do a build? Also for a K? I plan on doing an SBR so I just want to go part by part and get the US made parts I need from the start rather than buying a kit. Also, if I spend small amounts here and there maybe (just maybe) my wife won't notice : )

Thanks guys... and sorry again Rocket
Look above. I listed all the major parts. Most parts are bought in groups. You don't want to hunt down every piece of a trigger pack. Just buy a whole trigger pack. Front end consists of barrel, trunion, barrel pin, front sight base, front sight, cocking tube, cocking tube support, cocking handle, cocking handle pin, cocking tube end cap, mag release, mag release spring, contact piece, paddle mag release, mag release button, mag release button pin. You also need a rear sight and hardware. Also need a semi shelf, rear push pin bushing and a receiver or flat with weldment kit. Bcg consists if bolt carrier, bolt head, locking piece, firing pin, firing pin spring, rollers, roller retainer plate, roller retainer plate pin, extractor and extractor spring. You also need a forend, small push pin, buttstock or buttcap, large push pin for buttstock. The trigger pack consists of the trigger housing, trigger box or cage, trigger, sear, hammer, hammer spring, hammer strut, hammer strut pin, semi sear spring, trigger pin, sear spring pin, hammer pin, ejector lever, ejector lever axle, ejector lever spring. As you can see, "piecing" one together would take you a lifetime. Just buy it in components.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Edited to remove redundancy-

As I was listing all my parts- fordmenti beat me to it. But my post mirrored his in that you don't want to piece one together one piece at a time. It is cheaper too to buy a complete component (trigger group, bolt group, mag release set) than it is to track down each piece. Sellers know this. They would rather sell you the whole mag release set off a demill than try and sell one paddle for $5.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Good afternoon everyone. I'm planning an MP5 clone and will begin purchasing parts over the next few months.
My Hk91 is on it's way to Ghillie right now so I'm sure I'll be talking to him in the next few days and I can talk with him about this, but thought I'd get a jump on the conversation so I can bring something to the table. This will be my first clone build and looking for some advise. Thanks.
Well looks like someone has their interest peaked in roller locks, welcome to the addiction (was going to say club but think addiction is closer ;-). A MP5 clone is always interesting if one has a sear host, is using a suppressor, shooting inside and/or at a pistol round only range, if you are going to SBR the MP5 and not use with a sear nor suppressor, then I would go with an HK53 clone build or a G33K to go with a G3K ;-). Then again there is always the old "get one of each'.

When you are talking to Jeff next, ask him for a "shopping" list and recommendations on receivers. Lastly have you considered one of the Dragons or the MP5K or MP5 reverse stretch (MP5 rear and MP5K front) ....

My "Clone" built on a HK94

·
Registered
19 Posts
IMO, Go with your plan to Contact Jeff Walters (Ghillie). He will tell you what you need based on what you want, he just built me a beautiful MP5F clone and was very quick. As you probably know, Jeff is a great communicator and is friendly & helpful.

I bought a MP5F kit at LSC including flat and weldements and had it sent straight to ghillie. I think there were one or two parts sent from RTG, he will let you know.

Have fun
RFA

·
Registered
210 Posts
Look above. I listed all the major parts. Most parts are bought in groups. You don't want to hunt down every piece of a trigger pack. Just buy a whole trigger pack. Front end consists of barrel, trunion, barrel pin, front sight base, front sight, cocking tube, cocking tube support, cocking handle, cocking handle pin, cocking tube end cap, mag release, mag release spring, contact piece, paddle mag release, mag release button, mag release button pin. You also need a rear sight and hardware. Also need a semi shelf, rear push pin bushing and a receiver or flat with weldment kit. Bcg consists if bolt carrier, bolt head, locking piece, firing pin, firing pin spring, rollers, roller retainer plate, roller retainer plate pin, extractor and extractor spring. You also need a forend, small push pin, buttstock or buttcap, large push pin for buttstock. The trigger pack consists of the trigger housing, trigger box or cage, trigger, sear, hammer, hammer spring, hammer strut, hammer strut pin, semi sear spring, trigger pin, sear spring pin, hammer pin, ejector lever, ejector lever axle, ejector lever spring. As you can see, "piecing" one together would take you a lifetime. Just buy it in components.
Wow, point taken, that is a whole lot of parts. Thank you for all the responses guys. When I get all my funds together, I plan on contacting Ghillie (I have read nothing but great things about) and I will ask him for a "shopping list". This will be my first and only (well, for a while anyway) MP5 clone and I hope to get it right. From everything I read, it seems like going to one of the builders here is the best thing for your money. I do not have a sear and certainly won't be able to afford one (until I hit the lottery) but either way I am thinking the custom build is the way to go. Especially for the prices I see MKE, etc.. going for.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well looks like someone has their interest peaked in roller locks, welcome to the addiction (was going to say club but think addiction is closer ;-). A MP5 clone is always interesting if one has a sear host, is using a suppressor, shooting inside and/or at a pistol round only range, if you are going to SBR the MP5 and not use with a sear nor suppressor, then I would go with an HK53 clone build or a G33K to go with a G3K ;-). Then again there is always the old "get one of each'.

When you are talking to Jeff next, ask him for a "shopping" list and recommendations on receivers. Lastly have you considered one of the Dragons or the MP5K or MP5 reverse stretch (MP5 rear and MP5K front) ....

My "Clone" built on a HK94

That looks sweet JT! Yep, my interests in roller locks have become an addiction on a small scale at the moment. If my funds were endless, I'd need some serious intervention!

I've already picked up my MP5 front end so I'm pretty much married to just the standard MP5. Unless I've got other options I'm unaware of...although I spoke with Jeff about it last week and confirmed it's my only option. The MP5k and reverse stretch will still be future work projects. At this point, my only plan for this is just build as a pistol and SBR later as my Form 1 gets approved.

My G3k parts are all boxed up and I'm headed to the post office today to send off!

As for the parts list, I've realized buying "groups" is much easier than finding every single little part...at some point going with small parts at a time, you're going to be way up on shipping costs so from a cost stand point, being patient, saving a little bit here and there...you'll save much more in the long run.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
That looks sweet JT! Yep, my interests in roller locks have become an addiction on a small scale at the moment. If my funds were endless, I'd need some serious intervention!

I've already picked up my MP5 front end so I'm pretty much married to just the standard MP5. Unless I've got other options I'm unaware of...although I spoke with Jeff about it last week and confirmed it's my only option. The MP5k and reverse stretch will still be future work projects. At this point, my only plan for this is just build as a pistol and SBR later as my Form 1 gets approved.

My G3k parts are all boxed up and I'm headed to the post office today to send off!

As for the parts list, I've realized buying "groups" is much easier than finding every single little part...at some point going with small parts at a time, you're going to be way up on shipping costs so from a cost stand point, being patient, saving a little bit here and there...you'll save much more in the long run.
Probably time to purchase an Apex G33 parts kit and a RCM 33K barrel for your next project .... LOL!

Well too late, Apex is out of G33 parts kits .....

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Wow, point taken, that is a whole lot of parts. Thank you for all the responses guys. When I get all my funds together, I plan on contacting Ghillie (I have read nothing but great things about) and I will ask him for a "shopping list". This will be my first and only (well, for a while anyway) MP5 clone and I hope to get it right. From everything I read, it seems like going to one of the builders here is the best thing for your money. I do not have a sear and certainly won't be able to afford one (until I hit the lottery) but either way I am thinking the custom build is the way to go. Especially for the prices I see MKE, etc.. going for.
You can lie to your family. You can lie to your friends. You can lie to yourself. But don't come here and tell us this will be your only MP5 build. We all know better. This is just the beginning >=-)

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
You can lie to your family. You can lie to your friends. You can lie to yourself. But don't come here and tell us this will be your only MP5 build. We all know better. This is just the beginning >=-)
Maybe his only MP5 build, the others are MP5Ks, reverse stretch, 10mm etc. ;-) .... the same as I have only one machine gun ... the others are submachineguns, light machineguns, heavy machine guns etc. ;-)

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Yeah. I said all I wanted was an MP5. Ha. I ended up with an MP5, MP5k, and an UMP clone. Altogether, I've spent almost $8,000 on just those three guns. Not to even mention the other stuff I have. And I'm always buying and selling parts on here. It's crazy. And, since I'm almost done with all my projects, I'm torn between either getting a Remington 700 AAC SD rifle in .308 and a suppressor next year or building an MP5SD. Damn. I'm going broke thinking about it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts