HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is in reference to MP5 clones. So I know Maryland requires SBR's to be 29" muzzle to stock fully extended. Known as Overall Length or OAL. The issue a lot of us are running into is, H&K factory options don't get you there. So some are reverting to AR-style stocks, but I personally think they look goofy and unauthentic.

Then I saw a guy on here who rigged up an A2 stock that could telescope and lock open for the sole purpose increasing overall length. Say you did something like that, but even simpler. Like a buttpad with screws to be "permanent".

1) Say I added a permanent extension to an A2 buttstock to give me 29" OAL. Got the approved form 1, and then swapped out for an A3 stock that gives me an OAL of 27"?..provided I keep the A2 stock. (My reasoning is it's not a permanent change to overall length so ATF notification is not required. Like swapping AR15 uppers on one host lower.) However, if it came into question, I could pop one takedown pin and return to original configuration.

2) Under the same concept, could you make your own buttstock extension? Take a 2-3" chunk of rubber, drill one or two screws through it to bring the OAL out to a "permanent" 29" + OAL. Get it ATF approved and unscrew the rubber extension, but retain it in case it ever came into question.

Thanks. Looking for legal alternatives.

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
2,906 Posts
This is in reference to MP5 clones. So I know Maryland requires SBR's to be 29" muzzle to stock fully extended. Known as Overall Length or OAL. The issue a lot of us are running into is, H&K factory options don't get you there. So some are reverting to AR-style stocks, but I personally think they look goofy and unauthentic.

Then I saw a guy on here who rigged up an A2 stock that could telescope and lock open for the sole purpose increasing overall length. Say you did something like that, but even simpler. Like a buttpad with screws to be "permanent".

1) Say I added a permanent extension to an A2 buttstock to give me 29" OAL. Got the approved form 1, and then swapped out for an A3 stock that gives me an OAL of 27"?..provided I keep the A2 stock. (My reasoning is it's not a permanent change to overall length so ATF notification is not required. Like swapping AR15 uppers on one host lower.) However, if it came into question, I could pop one takedown pin and return to original configuration.

2) Under the same concept, could you make your own buttstock extension? Take a 2-3" chunk of rubber, drill one or two screws through it to bring the OAL out to a "permanent" 29" + OAL. Get it ATF approved and unscrew the rubber extension, but retain it in case it ever came into question.

Thanks. Looking for legal alternatives.
I struggled with all this when I thought the SP5K would not be approved on the handgun roster. It did, so I don't need to to there.
Regarding question #2 - yes, you can screw (or glue) a rubber extension onto a stock to meet the 29" OAL rule as screwing and gluing are considered permanent.
Regarding #1 & #2 - removing them after approval, can be done OUT OF STATE (say if you took the gun to PA) but would need to be re-attached when back in MD. I think if you add an A3 stock and get to 27" you have built a new SBR that is out of compliance and technically you have broken the law.

You need to think about what you are doing. Get the SBR to 29" to be legal and just deal with the fact it looks goofy. Be happy you didn't have to make any permanent mods to the gun like having to weld a barrel extension on there. If you hate the way it looks, then suck it up, and buy a sear and register your SBR as a MG which does not need to meet the OAL rule. Alternatively, just live with the ugly modification, and go shoot it in PA, VA, DE, WV, etc etc and while in those states, put your A3 stock on and make the gun look original again.

The MD law about 29" OAL sucks, but it's the law. There is no "legal alternative" to 29" if you maintain the SBR configuration (as opposed to machine gun or pistol configurations ). I don't think you will find any support for trying to skirt this requirement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts