HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you use a pin punch to remove the front sight pin to install a sling loop pin? Or is it removed by a machine press only? If so, how much psi is needed?
Also, this German sling loop pin from HKparts looks bigger than the pin from Ptr, will there be fitment issues? Anyone else ever done this have any advice?
I couldn’t find anything relevant under the search tab if someone could point me to a thread about this or has any knowledge it would be appreciated. I’m starting to think this is a builder question or possible machine press install only.
Thanks guys!!
Tool Font Hand tool Rectangle Wood

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was able to use a punch. It was not welded. Though it was a clone.
This is on a clone too, a new PTR. It looks moveable with a punch, but I wanted to see if anyone else had swapped the sling eyelet pin before successfully with just a pin punch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m curious to know, as well. Keep us updated on what you find out / results. I honestly have no idea why PTR doesn’t just put one on from the factory.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a PTR too and I too don’t like that it doesn’t have a sling eyelet. If you can punch out spacer piece of metal, how would you get the new sling swivel to stay in?

·
Registered
88 Posts
It was a PTR that I did this on. The pin come out right to left. It came out easy and sling loop went in without trouble. Be carful hitting the loop you don’t won’t to deform it. If you got something round that fits inside it snug use that and tap on it or lightly on the loop. Then stack the other side if need be to keep it tight. I hope this is helpful

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was a PTR that I did this on. The pin come out right to left. It came out easy and sling loop went in without trouble. Be carful hitting the loop you don’t won’t to deform it. If you got something round that fits inside it snug use that and tap on it or lightly on the loop. Then stack the other side if need be to keep it tight. I hope this is helpful
Super helpful!! Thanks 🙏 the pin is protruding on the right, so my assumption was to hit it right to left but I wasn’t sure. What did you secure it with?
I was going to use blue locktite on the eyelet sling to secure it in place.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It is a buddies gun and it was pretty tight so he decided to leave it be. It has been fine so fare. But I would stack it if your worried about it. So to do so you just use a sharp punch to push material from the sling post out on the sight.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I modified my 9C by slightly mushrooming the end of the pin and then tig welded it. It's solid.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went with JB Weld “Extreme Heat” to mount the sling loop. I got it after a recommendation from an actual gunsmith. It’s used to repairs cracks in iron, steel, and metal autoparts that are exposed to high heat. Works much like epoxy that can be sanded, drilled, and painted. Here is the finished install of the sling loop. Solidified and cured after 24hours.

Touch up paint: ???
Does anyone know what type and where to buy HK black paint to match the finish??

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts