HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this platform, but I have 10 years of firearm experience. I am writing this as an opinion based on my experience with these specific magazines for the MP5/SP5 and possibly clones.

They were tested on a 2016 SP5K with US HK parts Magazine paddle conversion. All reloads were done with the bolt open as a proper MP5 reload.

The three mags tested are as follows:

ETS Group:

AC Unity:

KCI (Korean Mag) Gen3:

I would like to add a test and eval of the POF mag in the future.

First I would like to lay out the pre range testing. I did dry fire and reload drills of about 10 mag changes for each mag. During this I felt for fitment and issues inserting and removing the magazines. The results are as follows:

-ETS Group, first off the mag looks cool. Mine are "smoked" clear. When inserting into the firearm it felt snug, but almost like there was some rubbery friction if that makes any sense. Almost sticky. The plastic of the ETS mag seems almost tacky or uncured. Even though the mag is completely hard, when rubbing against the metal it feels as if though it is not. The mag locks up easily, out of most of the inserts I only had to slap the bottom of the mag a few times to fully seat it. To remove it got hung up a few times and required some extra force to pull it out of the mag well. Dropping it on the floor was of no consequence to the integrity of the magazine. This mag does not give you any indication that it has seated fully, no click and hardly any feel. It makes you want to slap the bottom of the mag to be sure, even though it is likely already inserted fully.

-AC Unity, This mag immediately reminded me of a P mag. That to me was a very positive note to begin on as I love my P mags. The windowed sides are a positive as well. They are slightly bulkier than the other 2 mags and slightly longer. When inserting into the firearm it was EXTREAMLY snug. I had to slap the bottom of the mag on every reload to get it to seat fully. To remove from the firearm I had to change my grip and brace the firearm to remove. Don't let this deter you just yet. I took some 400 grit sand paper and sanded The contact pad on the font of the mag and all 4 corners. I did this lightly. I then wiped the top of the mag down with a very thin layer of CLP. When I reinserted it into the firearm it was like butter, it also removed perfectly. This mag did not sustain any drop damage. Overall very happy with this mag after the sanding and CLP. This mag does not give you much noise when reinserted that it has seated, but you could feel it.

-KCI, This mag is really basic. Reminds me of a standard GI ar15 mag. Nothing special, but not bad either. It locked up fine and removed fine. It hits the ground with a bit more noise as you would expect from a steel mag with a spring inside. I believe it will be more susceptible to dents and paint wear due to this though. It gives a reassuring click once locked into place, which is nice. It does tend to "rock" more in the mag well, which doesn't really instill confidence when doing a reload.

On the Range

For the sake of testing and ammo conservation during these trying times, I loaded each mag with a maximum of 5 rounds each for each course of fire. I preformed 5 courses of fire, so 5 live fire reloads per mag.

No Magazines malfunctioned or caused the firearm to malfunction at any point.

ETS: I experienced the same things that I did with the dry fire exercises. This mag just, feels weird. Its hard to describe it any other way. Its not bad, its not amazing either. It works. I just like a better feeling when I insert the mag into the firearm. I want to feel that its locked into place. This mag just doesn't give me that. It also feels rubbery when using it whether its putting it into the firearm, taking it back out, or securing in a mag holster. I don't like that, personally. I don't want to be rid of the 2 that I have, but I likely wont order more.

AC Unity: I was firstly worried that the CLP cure that I used would have dried up by the time I hit the range (a week later). To my pleasant surprise it had not. There was no evidence of CLP on the mag, but it inserted and removed from the firearm as it did after that treatment. While on the range and doing these drills I felt most confident with this mag, I just knew it was seated when I did a reload. I ripped it out after an empty click without fighting with it and threw it down with confidence. I would and am going to order more of these ASAP before they go away ( who knows what will happen in 2021).

KCI: As stated before, average GI mag comes to mind when using this mag. It rocks a bit more in the mag well when inserting than I would like. It does give you that audible and feeling of a click when inserted which is nice. The steel feels kind of thin, if that makes sense. Compared to an HK steel mag it doesn't feel as substantial. It also suffered some paint wear from this bit of use.**see pictures. They work, no serious complaints per say. The feed lips are sharp though! LOL. Overall I would order a few more if I wanted some more steel mags, but for the price I might hold off until I try a POF mag.

Pictures after testing.

ETS on the Left, AC Unity on the Right, KCI in the middle.

I hope this has been helpful. I am in no way being sponsored to write this. I bought all of these mags with my own money to try out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for writing this up. I bought some AC Unity mags recently and real HK mags, too, but I have been curious about the KCI ones.

Have you noticed any significant wear on the KCI feed lips? I saw the following review at Brownell's about the KCI mags and I am wondering if anyone has more info about the potential feed lips issue:

Excellent product, major improvement over gen I mags. These worked 100% out of the package so I give them 5 stars. Having said that, they aren't perfect. After the first loaded mag live fire test I could see the feed lips had significant wear. Calipers revealed the gap between the feed lips is some .040 or so more narrow than factory German mags. This means as the bolt group works it can impact the feed lips. It's a simple matter of filing the feed lips back to mimic original HK mags, just use a caliper to check your progress and be sure to keep the gap centered as you work. When your gap is corrected use sanding sticks or fine emery to polish up any burrs you created. I did this to both my mags to correct the gap and then tested them once again. Just as I expected they still ran perfectly. If you have problems with the bolt group getting stuck check the gap between the feed lips. These are a wonderful alternative to over priced German mags and a great second choice to the now hard to find POF mags. It's my opinion that once the gap in the feed lips is corrected that these are as good as POF. I'll definitely buy more. Keep in mind that KCI has a great warranty on their products and have been very active in correcting issues should they arise with great customer service.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for writing this up. I bought some AC Unity mags recently and real HK mags, too, but I have been curious about the KCI ones.

Have you noticed any significant wear on the KCI feed lips? I saw the following review at Brownell's about the KCI mags and I am wondering if anyone has more info about the potential feed lips issue:

Excellent product, major improvement over gen I mags. These worked 100% out of the package so I give them 5 stars. Having said that, they aren't perfect. After the first loaded mag live fire test I could see the feed lips had significant wear. Calipers revealed the gap between the feed lips is some .040 or so more narrow than factory German mags. This means as the bolt group works it can impact the feed lips. It's a simple matter of filing the feed lips back to mimic original HK mags, just use a caliper to check your progress and be sure to keep the gap centered as you work. When your gap is corrected use sanding sticks or fine emery to polish up any burrs you created. I did this to both my mags to correct the gap and then tested them once again. Just as I expected they still ran perfectly. If you have problems with the bolt group getting stuck check the gap between the feed lips. These are a wonderful alternative to over priced German mags and a great second choice to the now hard to find POF mags. It's my opinion that once the gap in the feed lips is corrected that these are as good as POF. I'll definitely buy more. Keep in mind that KCI has a great warranty on their products and have been very active in correcting issues should they arise with great customer service.
Well that might explain why the feed lips felt sharp after life fire. Ill have to take a closer look at them.

·
LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG
408 Posts
Another plus on the AC-Unity mags is they use a standard center hole pin for removing mag bottoms to do internal cleaning, not those $hitty clips on the sides of a standard MP5 mag that need a 3-fingered gorilla to release or reassemble!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Good review @Khalima! I'm happy to see a detailed review, with pictures, but even more so that you sanded the AC Unity magazines for fitment! I'm blown away that even after pictures, videos, and guidance to sand the magazines that some blokes complain the AC Unity magazines are too tight or simply won't work.

On the ETS magazines I absolutely don't trust them. In my opinion they're worse than ProMags, which takes effort! I too have a variety of magazines including KCI, POF, AC Unity, and HK. Nothing beats the real deal but workable, cheap magazines are nice to have for the range or on the farm (for those of us "out in the sticks").

1 - 6 of 6 Posts