HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I was thinking about going with an MP-5/SP89 clone and eventually upgrading the internals to HK parts. Given that I shoot both 9mm and 40sw, is either caliber better or worse in the semi MP-5/SP89 platform? I understand that parts/mags is more readily available for the 9mm, but is there any known problems with the mp-5/40 due to the cartridge as far as function issues?

Thank you

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had both in clone variation... My 9mm(had a vector and a bobcat) both needed parts swap to work correctly,but were otherwise decent guns. My 40 is Sbr'd and is by far my favorite range toy...

Parts are not cheap/easy to find like the 9mm, but I still like it.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
.40 S&W is a good choice

I have both 9mm and .40 and though I love them all, there is something about my .40 89k (Coharie) which makes it find its way into the gun case almost every time I go to the range. (I suspect it has to do with owning a sear and it's high rate of unsuppressed fire and the fact that I'm starting to shoot my German conversions more discriminately). As you have stated, the German parts may be a little more pricey and hard to find, but don't rule out RCM either. I'm using their carrier in my K (no choice) and it runs fine in F/A. I know of no functional issues that would be directly attributed to the cartridge (.40 S&W) itself.

·
Banned
125 Posts
40 all the way. That bolt closer switch on the side of the 40 caliber version kicks azz. If i didn't have that i would always feel like the mp5 is missing something.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Though I only have the 9mm in the k form, but I do have fullsize 40 and 9.

Comparing those two, I'd say from cost perspective 9mm is better. More parts availability, cheaper mags, and cheaper ammo. Plus the aftermarket actually does have good parts availability, where most of the .40 stuff will need to be HK to work right.

My 40 took the full meal HK BCG to work, not just parts and pieces. My 9mm fullsize required only the usual HK parts to work (ejector, extractor spring, extractor) and my kgun just started with the RCM combo from Adam.

I'd love to get a kgun in 40 some day, but I'm not going to drive myself nuts to get it.

Unfortunately the best advice I can give is "Get Both", but honestly I'd probably get whichever was available first, therefore giving a slight edge to the 9mm.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
I have the 9mm and 10mm. I do favor the 10 but have you seen this weeks prices on the HK 40/10 mags?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the 9mm and 10mm. I do favor the 10 but have you seen this weeks prices on the HK 40/10 mags?
This made me lol...

One week mags are made from unicorn blood, and two weeks from now, they will be on par with reason..

Some sellers will always hold onto the unicorn blood theory though..

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
I was shocked at what people were offering on GB. I must admit it made me consider letting 2-3 of mine go bye-bye @ $100+ a pop...almost. Just wanted the OP to be aware in case prices due not return to earth.

·
Registered
563 Posts
That was probably a good question to ask before I collected all the parts for a .40k reverse stretch ... But I can't wait to get it back from turner . As for the mags . I was concerned on just availability and as another Member told me be patient and they will pop up . Well a few months later I had 6 mags and didn't spend more than $60 on any of them . This was recent too last month so don't be discouraged . Also the parts will pop up to when u look and be a little patient . I would get excited when I'd see a particular part for sale and buy it , one week later I'd find it cheaper . Your already at the best place for any hk part leads .

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
9mm over 40 everyday for me. If I need more power than a 9mm, I'll flip the switch and shoot them 8 or 9 times. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I have a 9mm full size and K clone. I love them both. Nothing will ever replace my full size. I like the K a lot too. However, due to some quick maneuvers by my self(!!) I have managed to pick up both a 40 barreled and complete(with HK cocking tube and F handle and support) Upper and a complete 40 rifle(albeit a broken pos) with 2 mags all for less than $700. Hopefully, I'll put the two together and make one hell of a cheap range gun. I'm not sure that I'll like the 40 over the 9 as I honestly hate 40 short and weak. I'm more a fan of the original 10mm. But hey, for what I paid for the entire gun, you just never know when someone may just come out with a 10mm barrel worth a sh!t. Let y'all know as soon as I figure out which I prefer. One more week!!!

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Is there any additional value to HK 40/10 mags marked "LEO Restricted" vs those just marked HK?

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
Guys,

Hey, I'm a clone whore with the best of them....but thankfully I havent felt the need to venture into full auto 10mm, 40, .357sig, etc shooting. And I'm glad I haven't. Wouldnt mind a decent .22 kit however.

I'm just curious as to what the attraction is to the unicorns (strange and unusual calibers that is)....

-HH

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd go for the 9mm... Why?.. It's simple... MORE...

cost of ammo leaves MORE money for whatever itch you have,
9mm ammo is MORE available,
Parts are MORE plentiful and cheaper... mags especially,
and MORE rounds down range makes me smile.

I know... I'm a recoil therapy whore....

I'm seriously about THAT close to buying the HK .22 version.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Guys,

Hey, I'm a clone whore with the best of them....but thankfully I havent felt the need to venture into full auto 10mm, 40, .357sig, etc shooting. And I'm glad I haven't. Wouldnt mind a decent .22 kit however.

I'm just curious as to what the attraction is to the unicorns (strange and unusual calibers that is)....

-HH
What is so strange about 10mm? IIRC it is the most powerful SMG! IMHO the 10mm is a very versatile round that can be loaded for many uses.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I love 10mm kwesi. I used to have a Glock 20. Hate all you want but that was a great pistol.

Houston, I think it's more of a "sh1ts and giggles" kinda reason honestly. 9mm is great but hey, why not be different?!

·
Registered
563 Posts
DJF posted today he will making .40/357/10mm in a few months . So the world of Unicorn calibers may have just opened up alot more

·
Registered
116 Posts
If I can buy ammo at walmart for it, I don;'t generally consider it a unicorn...

Of course, why do we love HK? Especially their pistols.. In general, they are no better in any single area than any other, but we have a die hard love for them...

·
Registered
628 Posts
If you reload ammo costs are not a factor in my book. I find more 40S&W brass littering the range than 9mm now-a-days. I tend to believe the 9mm version is a wee bit more reliable than a forty, but this is based on my experience with a 10mm gun so what do I know.

The 40 cal guns do have one real advantage over the 9's, the BHO, pretty sweet once you remember it's there!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts