HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to by a long bed ultrasonic cleaner from a dental office for next to nothing. It works perfectly and has heat (I know because my wife is the hygienist there). The basket is 19"x6"x6". Does anyone have experience using one to clean their MP5 or suppressors? Since the barrelled action of my MP5-N is 17" it will fit in this unit. I would love field strip the entire gun and throw it in the tank for cleaning. However some thoughts come to mind... Finish safety?, proper solution?, post cleaning oiling?, do these things really work?
I have NO experience with ultrasonic cleaning of firearms, so by all means educate me. Your valuable thoughts, experiences, or advice on how you do it (if at all) would be greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It will remove the painted finish over time. It is a good solution for the internals and trigger pack. Re-lubing after cleaning to protect it from corrosion and for lubrication would be needed. Simple Green Extreme is usable as an envirosafe solvent in ultrasonics. Ultrasonics clean hardened deposits better than softer deposits. Put the dirtiest parts in a ziplock bag with solution to keep the solution in the tank cleaner longer. The ultrasonic vibrations will clean through the bag.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,757 Posts
I like to make sure that the neighbor's Lhaso Apso is out and about when I run my ultrasonic. But I'm just mean. The ziploc bag trick is a really GOOD tip!

·
Registered
10,251 Posts

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,757 Posts
sorry about that Shattered. Never pictured you as the elephant tampon kinda guy...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Cute dog Shattered. We have three yorkshire terriers,two are rescues and they own us as well. The puppy looks happy to " Go for a ride in the truck?".

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
It will remove the painted finish over time. It is a good solution for the internals and trigger pack. Re-lubing after cleaning to protect it from corrosion and for lubrication would be needed. Simple Green Extreme is usable as an envirosafe solvent in ultrasonics. Ultrasonics clean hardened deposits better than softer deposits. Put the dirtiest parts in a ziplock bag with solution to keep the solution in the tank cleaner longer. The ultrasonic vibrations will clean through the bag.
Welcome to the forum. What a great first post. Thanks for the tip.

Scott

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have used one for my MP5SD (now sold), MP5 SBR, MP5K-N. The paint can be affected, but if it is good paint it will not be severely affected. In my experience it removes or softens most powder residue but not the really hard baked carbon inside the SD suppressor, inside an M60 gas system end cap or on the outside of an SD barrel near the ports. You have to scrape that off with a tool. You still have to clean the barrel bore of copper or lead conventionally. It is good for the bolt, carrier, etc. I start it up for 30 minutes to get the temp up then soak for maybe 30 mins, and I suspend the parts in a plastic lined basket to prevent metal to paint contact. Lately I have not used it: I have developed a cleaning routine that doesn't take me much time, and I use gloves to keep the grime off of my hands.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info guys. Obviously my though process was to save time on the barreled action (chamber flutes, trunion, internal rails, etc), but I did not know if the finish would be effected. I guess in conclusion, I may still acquire it for the internals and trigger pack, but I'm not willing to risk my exterior finish either.

BTW - What about handguns? Does anyone use ultrasonics to clean them? Can you put the polymer frames in also?

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Ultrasonic is the ultimate Glock cleaner in my experience. Fire up the machine to heat, disassemble guns (I wait until I have a few and/or friends Glocks) manually brush the barrel with good bore cleaner, toss it all in the ultrasonic, 20mins, then compressor to blow everything dry (canned air will not work). Blow dry saves you the often suggested soak in lubricant as a a second stage, but I do use the lube soak on hk trigger packs (w/o the housing, ultrasonic strips picto paint fast). Reassemble the glock with the suggested 5 drops of oil, and it is like a factory new gun. You can actually clean 1-2 guns faster in the traditional manner, but ultrasonic gets that factory fresh clean. Works with 1911s and other pistols of course, but Glocks are what I have used it for most.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
Elephant tampon?..that's not a cool visual.
That's better than the visual you get when the barko is properly groomed and you take it out for a spritz up in Provincetown, Cape Cod.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Auf gebeginning to fixin der gun mit grosse busen of der schpritzin lubrication allen over derfukin platz, mit das squirtin and squeezin oil in allen fukinholes.
Ja, und racken und strokin das bolt as if gecrazygoing, yanken dat handle bak und forth, zwei hunnert times, ja?
Ist neue, und its needing some brekkin in.
Zo, BREKKIN ZEFUKIN THING IN!
WOW Shattered... The only thing wrong with your "fluent" German is the blatant lack of umlauts!! (LOL)

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Ultrasonic is the ultimate Glock cleaner in my experience. Fire up the machine to heat, disassemble guns (I wait until I have a few and/or friends Glocks) manually brush the barrel with good bore cleaner, toss it all in the ultrasonic, 20mins, then compressor to blow everything dry (canned air will not work). Blow dry saves you the often suggested soak in lubricant as a a second stage, but I do use the lube soak on hk trigger packs (w/o the housing, ultrasonic strips picto paint fast). Reassemble the glock with the suggested 5 drops of oil, and it is like a factory new gun. You can actually clean 1-2 guns faster in the traditional manner, but ultrasonic gets that factory fresh clean. Works with 1911s and other pistols of course, but Glocks are what I have used it for most.
I have a Crest Ultrasonic and the process is:

1. Heat up the tank
2. Run the ultrasonic for about 5-7 minutes (They actually have a different set of rules for AR's but I forgot exactly...I think the said no more than 4 minutes.)
3. Wash parts with warm water
4. Blow dry parts
5. Soak in their penetrating oil with tank touching water in Ultrasonic and Ultrasonic turned on.

The ultrasonic removes ALL the oil on the parts and the need to be soaked. I put a nice old blued smith in mine and almost crapped my pants because it looked like it ruined the finish.....After the oil soak it was good as new..

My .02

1 - 16 of 16 Posts