HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Professional Gunslinger
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have done my research but I would like to know from those of you knowledgable in the area, not just personal opinion, what makes the MP5 better then the AR 9mm in terms of sound reduction? I had a AR15 in 9mm with a 5" TROS 3-lug barrel and it had HORRIBLE ejection port bark when firing with my Gemtech Multimount suppressor. Does the MP5 have this as well and if not why and if it does is there a way to fix this? I added a Heavy Buffer (11.5oz) and extra power spring and it took care of this issue and became very quiet. Shooting unsuppressed was...well just plain loud.

~ Just FYI I sold off my G19 because my Sig P226 was noticable quiter and I attribute that to the action noise or lack thereof rather. Suppressed should be quiet and my P226 is Shhhh! Quiet.

Thanks for any input received,
Mike

·
Registered
346 Posts
The mp5 is delayed blowback so not as much noise out the port as with the Colt blowback design and it runs much smoother. My m16 9mm was hard to hold on target.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
AFAIK, all of the 9mm ARs, pistol or rifle, are simple blowback. None are DI like the .223 guns.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have a 9mm MP5 and AR. The MP5 is much smoother, more reliable, and definately quieter when running suppressed. My 9mm AR is a 5 inch TROS barrel w/3 lug so my comparison is with the same ammo and same suppressor.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I have both an MP5 clone built with German parts and a real Colt 6450 in 9mm. As far as suppressed, I've never shot the AR suppressed. The MP5 is whisper quiet. I imagine the AR is quite a bit louder. Unsuppressed, reliability I'd say is about equal. Accuracy on both is better than me and better than a 9mm has any right to be. The AR is quite comfortable but will never be quite as good as my MP5.

·
Registered
990 Posts
My MP5 (A3 stock, MFI mount, 3 lug flash hider) is a bit heavier than my AR (5 inch TROS barrel, 7 inch rail, no flash hider, M4 stock, Cmore Sight, Troy front flip up).

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
MP5 unloaded with A2 stock vs Colt unloaded with MOE front hand guard are really really close. That's with a 16" pencil barrel though. I'd say the MP5 is maybe a hair heavier. But just a hair if anything. Wish I had a scale here. I'd measure for you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks. The thing that got me into HK's to begin with was the desire for a 9mm carbine. Decided on an mp5k sbr, but did a lot of research on the AR too. A local shop has a swing down mp5 for rent and I held that but no one had a 9mm ar to hold and compare it to.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Thanks. The thing that got me into HK's to begin with was the desire for a 9mm carbine. Decided on an mp5k sbr, but did a lot of research on the AR too. A local shop has a swing down mp5 for rent and I held that but no one had a 9mm ar to hold and compare it to.
You might also want to consider a USC or UMP in 9mm, as they are much lighter than either the MP5 or AR.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
What type of ammunition were you running in the AR? Any suppressed weapon's reduction in decibels is greatly aided by the use of subsonic ammunition.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Factory Colt 9mm Subgun with 10.5" barrel is 6.5 lbs unloaded.
Factory MP5A2 is 6 lbs unloaded.

The Colt 9mm Subgun is only a half pound lighter than a M4 carbine due to the heavy tungsten bolt used in the 9mm sub.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Factory Colt 9mm Subgun with 10.5" barrel is 6.5 lbs unloaded.
Factory MP5A2 is 6 lbs unloaded.

The Colt 9mm Subgun is only a half pound lighter than a M4 carbine due to the heavy tungsten bolt used in the 9mm sub.
Wow. That's cool. Weird in that the MP5 feels heavier to me. But the weight is in different places also. So that may have something to do with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts