HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the realistic market value of a factory HK MP5K briefcase, the one that can be fired with the MP5K inside via a trigger on the handle? I think I my have located one, and can get it at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The days of $1800 are probably long gone. I paid $1500 3 years ago and that was the going price when dealers had them in stock. There are none to be had in today's market unless someone re-imports more or someone has been holding out. At Knob Creek this time, there were a few for $2300-$2500. I may be wrong on this, but if you can get it for under $2000, consider it a "good buy." I would... Anyways, if someone here has access to one for you near that price, or anywhere else, get it and be happy. It's a cool addition to the family and a novel piece of craftmanship. If the one you are looking at has the true German mount and not the A.R.M.S. mount, it is more desirable, but not worth a bunch more.
Keep in mind that you must have a registered AOW "K" type gun, Registered Receiver "K" gun, or a reg. Sear to use it legally as a method of shooting, storing, or displaying your gun within..

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'd grab it fast at that price if it was in great condition.

Small point: if you own an SP-89, et al *and* the briefcase, you must have
previously been granted approval from BATF in the manuf of an AOW or MG.
The violation occurs when in possession....not necessarily insertion of the
firearm into briefcase.

·
Registered
329 Posts
so from what I understand becuase the briefcase is registered as an AOW you'd actually have to find a case for the briefcase if you were to transport it, which would also mean no carrying around an SP89 for "self defense"

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Does a registered sear or receiver negate the need for AOW status? I was kinda sorta under the impression that you'd need to have the weapon registered as an AOW whether it was otherwise registered as a MG or not.

So, is AOW status only needed for a semi-auto version?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Does a registered sear or receiver negate the need for AOW status? I was kinda sorta under the impression that you'd need to have the weapon registered as an AOW whether it was otherwise registered as a MG or not.

So, is AOW status only needed for a semi-auto version?
A registered sear or machine gun overides the AOW status when it is placed in the tactical briefcase thus not requiring the AOW paperwork. The same can be said with a sbr...... when a registered sear etc. is in the rifle, you do not need to register the rifle as a sbr. However if you remove the lower (registered sear) you would have an illegal short barreled rifle. Same with the k grip on the sp89 and so on.......

Aow registration is required when a semi auto pistol is placed in the case.

·
Registered
262 Posts
so from what I understand becuase the briefcase is registered as an AOW you'd actually have to find a case for the briefcase if you were to transport it, which would also mean no carrying around an SP89 for "self defense"
Aow registration is required when a semi auto pistol is placed in the case.
oft repeated errors: the operational briefcase or operational
holster is never the registered item. it is only the firearm
which is registered. the operational cases are sold w/o
restriction, in and of itself.

you fall under the umbrella of NFA when you are in possession
of both the firearm, plus the operational case which is designed
for it. matters not a wit that the the firearm is not inserted
within. mere possession crosses the threshold.

·
Registered
329 Posts
yes but from what I understand once you stick the mp5 in the case the entire system is considered a weapon thus my question about the legality of actually carrying it around.

·
Registered
262 Posts
yes but from what I understand once you stick the mp5 in the case the entire system is considered a weapon thus my question about the legality of actually carrying it around.
i gets your drift. perhaps we're parsing nits over semantics.
again, the enclosure is *never* considered a weapon. Only
the firearm is.

If you're referring to a semi-auto, which will function within
the case, it's moot, as the only legal way you can have
the two parts under your control, in your possession or
even own at the same time is after you've been approved
to make an AOW SP-89 et al. As such, transportation
isn't a concern.

If you've already been approved to have an SP-89 with
K-grip, then you can own or possess the operational case.

·
Registered
253 Posts
oft repeated errors: the operational briefcase or operational
holster is never the registered item. it is only the firearm
which is registered. the operational cases are sold w/o
restriction, in and of itself.

Agree, the firearm is the registered part of the equation. Same with the infamous "wallet holster"........ pistol must be registered as an AOW.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
i gets your drift. perhaps we're parsing nits over semantics.
again, the enclosure is *never* considered a weapon. Only
the firearm is.

If you're referring to a semi-auto, which will function within
the case, it's moot, as the only legal way you can have
the two parts under your control, in your possession or
even own at the same time is after you've been approved
to make an AOW SP-89 et al. As such, transportation
isn't a concern.

If you've already been approved to have an SP-89 with
K-grip, then you can own or possess the operational case.
Correctamundo - the briefcase is just a briefcase. If you own the SP89 that fits inside it, the SP89 must have the AOW (or apparently a registered MG will suffice) to also own the briefcase.

Now, as for carrying it - it would seem like if you're in a shall-issue state, you could carry it around as long as you have a concealed carry permit. If you're not, then you'd better keep it at home.

Just be sure you don't get the wrong briefcase if you're going on a business trip. It might make for an exciting x-ray picture at the airport. :)

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
The case on Gunbroker is actually the one I bought.

Also, FYI in NC you can't carry a MG concealed even with a permit. They actually covered that in our class.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I disagree. Lets say I own a registered sear in a registered SBR MP5. I also own a SP89 with all the fixins, stock, grip, etc. I also own a HK operational briefcase. Now the sear will obviously be used to make the SP89 a K-gun. So based on your theory, by owning a sear, sbr MP5, SP89 and briefcase, I am in violation? I poses both a operational briefcase and have a SP89. I have to disagree that by possessing these two items along with other items I'm committing a crime.

you fall under the umbrella of NFA when you are in possession
of both the firearm, plus the operational case which is designed
for it. matters not a wit that the the firearm is not inserted
within. mere possession crosses the threshold.

·
Registered
262 Posts
x-
did you manage to miss this?....

"If you've already been approved to have an SP-89 with
K-grip, then you can own or possess the operational case."

because if you didn't and still are trying to come up with some
contrived argument, it's falling flat on me. if you really own the
combination of parts you say, you've left out the details on
what stamps specifically go with which firearms.

·
Registered
58 Posts
MP4Guru: Apparently your thread was HIJACKED by people who want to agree to disagree on terminology,law, and "interpretation." I hope you found your briefcase at a reasonable price as a few of us have possibly assisted you on your quest for a briefcase value. The information that others have offered in this thread is NOT a bunch of B.S., but info that is presented to keep things legal for you if you purchase one of the cases. Good Luck

1 - 20 of 35 Posts