HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been all over this board today trying to search for these answers, though some come close, I couldn't find what I need. So, now I will ask. I know there are members here that make a living from building these guns and like to keep secrets close to the vest. I get that. Buy with out being specific, please point me in the right direction. I have been a welder and fabricator for a caterpillar dealer for 25 years. So maybe I can just tell you all how I would do it and you say yes or no.
It seems to me that the way to install the Mp5k trunnion is to push it all the way into the receiver until it is flush against the rails and properly rotated so that is is even on both rails. Then tack it here. There are photos I have seen on the forum that show one improperly installed, so it seems to me if the trunnion is up tight against the end of the rails and rotated so it even above the rails on both sides, then we are good.
Next,
When installing the Mp5k cocling tube, it seems to me that the best way, is to; trim metal from the top front of receiver and keep trial fitting the tube until your cocking tube support has that 1/16-1/8 gap between it and the bolt carrier with the hammer down and the support all the way forward and in its detent. I have heard people say just cut and inch out of the front of the receiver over the trunnion, or set cocling tube back until it's rear edge is flush against the rear edge of the trunnion. But to me, it seems to keep trial fitting it to get your gap between carrier and support would be precise.
Let me know if what I'm saying is how you professionals would do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It also seems to me that when you weld the cocking tube, since the shoulder that butts up to the recever has plenty of metal there. There is the shoulder and then the rest off the tube that is slid under the receiver. I'm thinking that tight welding that joint without any filler would leave a very nice weld. But yes, you can never go wrong with a heatsink inside. Even if the just keep the heat from spreading and disorting the rest of the metal. I was even thinking of welding it with my machine set to pulse, so as to minimize the heat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link warbirds. I read the link. Now I know why people get upset at times here and tell people to just send their parts to a professional. But this project is very doable for me as I have built stuff a lot more difficult than this. I am.basically looking for the short cuts in the process. In the end, I will have a professional looking and operating build. Might take me longer the first time. But working with a tight and fabrication is what I have done for 20 years. My father was armorer and I grew up customizin 1911's with him.
But when I read the post you sent a like to, I was shaking my head and laughing at the poor welds. And taking metal off the carrier to make it fit your f'd up receiver is akin to cutting of your toes to make your shoes fit. My God.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts