HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does the -N for the MP5 only denote a "Navy" style lower or is the threaded muzzle standard on the non-Navy lower models of that same time period? Basically, were all the barrels threaded on the MP5's in the late 80's? If so were they marked -N even if they had an SEF lower?

Second question, what year was the MP5K-N PDW introduced? Given that PDW barrel on Gunbroker linked in the HK Heads up section appears to have an IK date code. However I was under the impression that the PDW barrels with tri-lugs didn't debut until 1991.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
I can't answer every question. To the best of my knowledge, the -N or Navy designation was given to the MP5 for a specific configuration, I think it was even given it's own National Stock Number. That configuration included the Navy three position pictogram lower, threaded three lug barrel, and tritium (Beta?) front sight. May have included the A3 stock and possibly other features I can't recall. I'm fairly sure the threaded barrel of the Navy model was fairly new when the Navy designation was introduced. Not saying the threaded barrel originated with the Navy gun, it's just that it wasn't real common until the Navy came out. I believe HK had all these features prior to the Navy designation, it's just that they got pulled together (I think at the request of the Navy (SEALs?).

I have an early K-PDW barrel that I'll go look at later to see what that date code is.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Does the -N for the MP5 only denote a "Navy" style lower or is the threaded muzzle standard on the non-Navy lower models of that same time period? Basically, were all the barrels threaded on the MP5's in the late 80's? If so were they marked -N even if they had an SEF lower?

Second question, what year was the MP5K-N PDW introduced? Given that PDW barrel on Gunbroker linked in the HK Heads up section appears to have an IK date code. However I was under the impression that the PDW barrels with tri-lugs didn't debut until 1991.
The N" (Navy) designator was introduced by HK in the mid-1980's when the first Navy model MP5's were produced for the SEAL's. There were three N variants - MP5-N, MP5K-N, MP5SD-N. All factory-made N models had the N engraved on the receiver @ the model name and were shipped to HK Inc with Navy trigger groups though other groups were changed out in the US. The N denotes an MP5 that has these features:
-Threaded Barrel with Cap (except SD variant)
-Tritium (Beta) Front sight post
-Ambi trigger group with safe, semi, auto and Pictogram markings
-Stainless steel Mickey Finn (Qual-a-Tech) can

The MP5K-PDW came out in the early 1990's as I recall and was simply the MP5K-N with the addition of the side folding Choate stock modified to open with must a pull.

G3Kurz

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys. I set up my HK 94 re-marked to MP5 without threaded muzzle, just tri-lug and will have an SEF c/p lower. SP89 is marked MP5 K, no tri-lug as it is a pre 1991 K model, not the later PDW. Now just waiting on transfer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts