HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was firing my "PDW" (semi) with a Gemtech Raptor and using my new #28 lp. I was having a heck of a time sighting in my z-point and thought maybe the can was to blame. With the can removed, my K was transformed into a single shot repeater. So I guess those locking pieces do make a difference after all.
Eventually I learned the problem was with the old junk ammo I was "using up". I swear the group was 3 feet at 25 yards! I got it down to inches with regular 124 and 147gr duty ammo. With the Remington subsonic, all you hear is the action (which is loud in itself) and nothing else.

·
Registered
255 Posts
V-
how is that z-point mounted to the PDW? is it a sight-through and places the dot atop the front post? tnx

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Z-point does not cowitness - yet

Raymond,
I've got it on a high mount so the red dot is on 12 oclock position of the hood. I'm trying to mount it on my B&T low (21241) but will have to make some adjustments to get the "plastic mounting claws" to fit into that thin groove. If I can do that, it will be real close to co-witnessing with the top of the fs post.
Other than that, it's a nice little sight for close in work and "holds" it's zero. I really like it on this configuration. I use an aimpoint on my MP5 and ARs and wouldn't want the z-point there but on the small rig it's nice.
Boy, class III here is ok! I'll have a FA pack within a couple of months and will make sure to let you know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Raymond,
I've got it on a high mount so the red dot is on 12 oclock position of the hood. I'm trying to mount it on my B&T low (21241) but will have to make some adjustments to get the "plastic mounting claws" to fit into that thin groove. If I can do that, it will be real close to co-witnessing with the top of the fs post.
Other than that, it's a nice little sight for close in work and "holds" it's zero. I really like it on this configuration. I use an aimpoint on my MP5 and ARs and wouldn't want the z-point there but on the small rig it's nice.
Boy, class III here is ok! I'll have a FA pack within a couple of months and will make sure to let you know.
so it won't fit on the b&t without mods? Let me know how you have to modify it, I was considering one.

How do you find the mounting system? The only bad thing I have heard about the sight is the mount is not very robust, being held on by the spring only.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Z-point on MP5s

My sight is an older one with the outer "plastic" housing and no suffix on the model number. On a regular B&T or rail mount it attaches fast and is secure with NO wiggle. It has a very low signature that can't snag on anything. On the low mounts (ones with the grooves along the side) the feet or claws of the mount don't fully seat. My plan is to "widen" the groove by "grinding" the lower surface of the groove that the claws don't contact anyway, to allow them to fully seat. I'm quite sure it will work perfectly, I just want to grind the minimal amount and have a plan to touch up the color etc. This would put the red dot "inside" the front hood close to the front sight. (Right now it is on top of the hood).
I like this little sight and think it is perfect (except for maybe an Aimpoint T-1) on this configuration. It is robust enough to do the job. I will always shoot with a can so that becomes the weak link if the gun is dropped etc., not this sight. You would have to drop the whole weapon, sight-down, on a hard surface to damage this. Though I like to experiment with various optics and own most of the popular units (Aimpoints are my favorites) this is a very nice addition. Of course the T-1 happened to come out after I got the z-point, but I'm quite happy regardless. Also it retains zero for what I'm doing. (75 yards and less) I recommend them highly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
thanks for the info. If you don't mind taking some pics when you do it, I am considering the same setup on my mp5k clone.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
POI changes dramatically with can

One of the difficulties I encountered sighting the z-point in is that I can get up to four completely separate groups from it. One with the can off and one from each of the tri-lug indexing positions. At 20 yards the difference between the closest suppressed group to the non-suppressed group was about 6 inches. The other two suppressed groups were 2 and 5 inches from the first. I have no baffle strikes either. So I chose the closest suppressed group to the non-suppressed and zeroed it in. Because I choose to always fire this with the can I will be fine but I can't help but wonder whether this 6" shift at 20 yards is normal.
Note to self: Always index the suppressor the same and you won't wear out the adjustment knobs on your optics. It will hold zero when indexed the same (i.e. "Gemtech" in the 3 o'clock position)
I will run the Raptor on my MP5 for comparison and will confirm the same when my MK-9K comes in. Still nice and quiet though!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts