HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been beat to death, but is there a significant quality difference in the German made HK marked vs. the USA made non-HK marked choate stock for the MP5K/SP5K? There's a significant price difference between the two, and just want to know if the HK marked stock is really worth double the cost of the USA made version. I know HK purists will want to have all original parts as possible, but this is more about practical application than trying to get things picture perfect. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. I believe they are the same but those initials of HK on anything make some pay higher for.
Hi from a fellow also High in the Rocky Mountains.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I had a chance to play with a Choate adjustable LOP stock that is owned by a friend. I've also played with the HK marked stocks. No discernible difference in quality or lockup.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
This has probably been beat to death, but is there a significant quality difference in the German made HK marked vs. the USA made non-HK marked choate stock for the MP5K/SP5K? There's a significant price difference between the two, and just want to know if the HK marked stock is really worth double the cost of the USA made version. I know HK purists will want to have all original parts as possible, but this is more about practical application than trying to get things picture perfect. Thanks.
Having both, the difference is really in the piece that actually mounts to the rear of the receiver. The "HK" version fits snug while the standard Choate is metal and it wobbles. The stock piece is the same with the only difference being the branding. The "mount" for the MP5/HK94 version is very snug and can be bought seperately if you don't like the wobble of your MP5K version:) I have a true HK version for my SP89 (converted MP5K-PDW) but my clones run with the "Choate" version. Again, with a MP5/HK94/HK93 setup as well as that for a HK91/51 setup, the standard Choate version is fine.

Reactions: wampum22

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
My Chaote fits my MKE MP5 RS fine w/o wobble. I do not own a K to know about that setup. My only problem is that I can't mount mine yet w/o stamp in hand. I only put it on to confirm fit and then placed it back in a sealed box for one day... when ATF finally decides to be kind to me and send along a stamp of few.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
My Chaote fits my MKE MP5 RS fine w/o wobble. I do not own a K to know about that setup. My only problem is that I can't mount mine yet w/o stamp in hand. I only put it on to confirm fit and then placed it back in a sealed box for one day... when ATF finally decides to be kind to me and send along a stamp of few.
"Mount" is totally different between the MP5 and MP5K configurations. Now that you have freely admitted on an open forum that you have committed an NFA violation, please report to your local ATF authority to be sanctioned for one day of said violation and to be confined in an appropriate "sealed box". Mods feel free to delete:)

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Is the hk marked stock even made in germany? Something tells me choate just put hk on it and sold it that way.
Good question but probably not and I suspect it is all US with HK-supplied parts. The HK-marked version comes with the SP89-type "plastic" backplate while the regular Choate version comes with a metal backplate that tends to wobble in that (MP5K) configuration. You can actually take the SP89 backplate and after drilling two nicely aligned holes, affix a Choate stock to make a very solid fit. Good news is that in the non-MP5K configurations, the mount is solid.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Have both stocks, one Hk marked one and one standard Choate marked. The standard Choate one does not fit the Hk Sp89 or the Sp5k. The Hk marked one does fit however. The standard Choate one only fits my US clone.... Found out the hard way at the range over the weekend when I just blindly grabbed and never tried the stocks on different guns. Who knows maybe my stock is out of spec. Fwiw

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
"Mount" is totally different between the MP5 and MP5K configurations. Now that you have freely admitted on an open forum that you have committed an NFA violation, please report to your local ATF authority to be sanctioned for one day of said violation and to be confined in an appropriate "sealed box". Mods feel free to delete:)
No violation for fit purposes at all. Who said it was not done at the FFL? :biggrin:
Nothing gets added to any of my personal collection prior to receiving stamps.
Been nothing but lawful for more than half a century of life.
People are still allowed to try on clothes before purchasing. Totalitarian control is still at least one election away yet. Maybe after November it could be unlawful to try parts on at SOTs, but not yet at least :biggrin:
I also noted in my reply about the RS and it not being a K. I certainly know the mount differences as I noted just as I typed that I cannot mount mine yet until stamped. Doesn't even mean its in the same location.
Please don't have another redbull today...
All puns in fun and fair game of course. Stay safe, shoot straight*

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Is the hk marked stock even made in germany? Something tells me choate just put hk on it and sold it that way.
There is no such thing as a German made Choate stock. Choate is located in the US and all the stocks are made in the US. The stocks are all identical quality, the only difference is one says "Choate" and one says "HK". The HK one is shipped to Germany, then shipped back there to the US for sale for twice the price.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
While it won't help with any US parts count, the B&T stock is much lighter and fits me better. The Choate is "Old School" but I think there are better options.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Because they use a German back plate on the HK stock and a Choate USA made back plate on their
Makes sense that I have the problem I do then lol. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
And what would that problem be?
Copied from my post #10

Have both stocks, one Hk marked one and one standard Choate marked. The standard Choate one does not fit the Hk Sp89 or the Sp5k. The Hk marked one does fit however. The standard Choate one only fits my US clone.... Found out the hard way at the range over the weekend when I just blindly grabbed and never tried the stocks on different guns. Who knows maybe my stock is out of spec.

Also hk marked stock does not fit us made clone. The choate stock does not fit on the sp89 or either of the two sp5k I have.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Because they use a German back plate on the HK stock and a Choate USA made back plate on their
The compliant part, according to ATF is the stock ... not the back plate. I wonder if an argument could be made as such?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts