HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
a semi-auto MP5k (without shoulder stock) with no front grip is a SP89. Just a great big pistol legally speaking.... however, once you ad a front grip, it falls into AOW (all other weapons, I think?) territory and requires a stamp. If you add a shoulder stock, it is then a SBR (short barrel rifle), and likewise requires a stamp.... I could go on and on, but really if you're interested in NFA stuff you need to research it. I am by no means a lawyer or an expert... what i've outlined loosly explains/describes some of the configurations an SP89 could be altered to... thats all

now, the item you have linked is the handguard/forend for the SP89, it does not have a front grip, rather a small lip to "prevent" you hand from going forward on the forend while firing... the item you have linked is legal to put on an SP89... All of this is of course if you don't live in a State that has stricter firearms laws than the federal gov.... ie. Kalifornia, New Jersey, Illinois, just to name a few....

when dealing with NFA (non-sporting firearms) you need to be very carefull, and make sure what you are doing is first Federally legal, and then double check to make sure it is legal in your particular State...

good luck.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
That is a legal forend and the part hanging down, the hand stop, is also legal on any handgun. The addition of a vertical grip is what makes the pistol into an AOW and requires a $200 making tax to be paid or a $5 transfer tax if already made (as if you found a SP-89 that had the vertical grip and was already an AOW) but you cannot ever add a stock to it. If you SBR it the firearm requires the same $200 making tax and then you can have the vertical grip and stock, or no stock if you prefer, but it is still an SBR. The only advantage an AOW has over the SBR is that some states allow AOWs but not SBRs, and that's about the only time I see it making since to make an AOW rather than an SBR.

·
Registered
34 Posts
non NFA or non LEM item: MP5k without foregrip without stock with handstop/handguard (no forms required)
NFA or LEM item: MP5k with stock with foregrip
NFA or LEM item: MP5k with stock
NFA or LEM item: MP5k with foregrip

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.