HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to the forum and maybe it is already here and I didn't find it. Has anyone detailed how to build a MP5sd clone? In particular the shroud mounting, the barrel support for the modded tripple tree, any differences in the cocking tube, etc?*

Lou

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
HK MP5SD HE
They put a decent amount of info on their site.
I would not suggest an SD as your first build and not suggest
anyone who does not have access to a mill and a damn good
machinist do it at all.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. Can you give a little more detail on what you are looking to do? Have you built any other roller locked guns before? If so what model(s)? Are you building the SD from a HK MP5 SD parts set, or from a front end US made SD kit from HK Parts, or are you trying to convert a standard MP5 parts set with a barrel and a shroud? Are you rolling a flat or using an existing receiver? What do you plan to use for a SD can?

There are several builders here that could give you some generic advice. Although I wouldn't think they would not want to divulge their "tricks of the trade" on building one. A SD is a highly specialized build. To my knowledge there is no "How To" video to build one. Good luck with your SD project.

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Its cheaper and easier to get a regular MP5 clones SBR it and Get Gemtech Raptor .
But then you have to buy expensive, often hard to find locally, subsonic 9mm ammo. I love not having to worry about carrying two different types of 9mm ammo to the range. I grab from whichever case is open and toss em in my range bag.

I guess that's why I haven't bought a suppressor for any of my pistols or three lug MP5 guns. Just too costly, and too much of a hassle to track down subsonic ammo. I'll buy a nice Silencerco sparrow down the road for the buckmark and 10/22.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
when the sd was invented there was not 147gr 9mm available errywhere. personally I think a better solution is a decent can and subsonic ammo. Less cleaning and you can use the can on other hosts. I really think a mp5k with a can and subsonics is best. It gives you a crazy quiet gun that is short as hell when folded or stockless and has a k grip. I am thinking of building an "sd" with a k-navy barrel under the handguard and a standard can for these reasons.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the all the replies. I checked out RDTS and that was quiet helpful. *To answer Scottinthegrove, I have been mainly into black rifles domestically made, until I found this site and a few others. Looking into machining a fixture and mandrel like Holescreek. I have a full machine shop, and I'm quite capable in getting this done. Not in the proper state to have auto, suppressor or SBR, so it would be just a fun semi project with a fake can, until I retire in ten and can be set free to move on out!*

I also wouldn't mind making the how to video. *

From what I have gathered *the flat is obviously MP5 (any reports on Black Market Parts flats?), the barrel is short and ported near chamber, the shroud can be bought as well as I believe the cocking tube and support. Also the trunnion is different *as well as the bolt group and the locking piece when the barrel ports are covered with a fake can. Now with the triple tree it looks like the bottom is radiused off as well as the tube cap. * * *

From the pictures of the shroud and cocking tube it looks like the shroud is welded to the front of the receiver and the cocking tube is welding to the shroud which would allow support of the modified tree.

I know i missed something or figured something wrong. Any info would be great, or even some detailed pictures of shroud area.

Thanks always wanted to do a real build and didn't realize I wasn't alone until I found this site. Done with the Lego Rifles!

Thanks to all!

Lou

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
louvag,
looks like you are on the right track. When you are using the fake can, you will use a standard mp5 LP. when you are able to use the can, swap out LP to a "SD" LP. Bolt & carrier are the same. SD's are abit more challeging than a standard mp5 build.....so take you time & make sure everything is straight & lined up properly. Threading for your barrel & cans can be different from manufacture to manufacture, so make sure you have that part of the equation figured out first.
Good luck & post pictures please!
Dj

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Lou, I agree with "DJF" that you seem to have things well in hand as far as the logistics of the build. I don't know what state you are in, but are there any state restrictions on building a pistol with a magwell that is not in the grip? Also does your state have any restrictions about threading on the barrel? I understand that the threading is at the chamber end, but your state might not make a differentiation. I'm sure that there are many here, including myself, that would love to see a video of a SD build.

If you don't mind my curiosity, why did you decide to start with IMHO to be the most complicated pistol caliber roller locked model as your first roller locked build? I'm a sear owner in NV. All of my pistol caliber hosts, except the converted HK 94 (MP5 Navy 3-lug style barrel, welded up carrier, and paddle mag release) that my sear came with, are pistols. It saves me the $200 tax, since I can add a stock with my sear installed. I have a Coharie Arms CA89 SD. I've shot it as a pistol. I didn't find it fun. It is much more fun with a stock. A HK 94 clone build, might be easier to keep compliant with your state's laws.

Something to keep in mind about the "fake can", my understanding is that the fake can can't be hollow. I guess there was some issue with the fake can on the .22lr SD that was imported with a hollow can. The Technology Branch of the BATF&E feels that a hollow can would be too easy to put holes on the inside, which would reduce the report of the firearm. I bought a used Mark 23 handgun. It came with a fake can. The fake can was solid aluminum. I'm not 100% sure that a fake can has to be solid, but I think it would be a good idea to check into it. That would also be something to check concerning your state laws. Since you listed that "auto, suppressor or SBR" were not allowed in your state, there could a state concern as the fake can might be considered a removable muzzle device. Just a thought. Good luck with your SD pistol build. Please keep us updated. And again, welcome to the forum.

Scott

·
Registered
364 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all, and with some thought given by Scottinthegrove I think it would not be a build to attempt first. Although it would be fun, and I think I could pull it off. I do need the 16" barrel length and when thinking about fastening a fake can so it is not removable that would be a problem... Ahhh it was a thought.. Thanks for setting me in the right direction. I will keep you all posted on what path I decide on now.. Thanks again, and sorry for the slow reply..

Lou

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
01coltcolt,

Thanks for the link... Nice information... Question would you happen to have close up pictures of the shroud area? weld areas and such?

Thanks,

Lou

1 - 12 of 12 Posts