HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some searching and wasn't able to find much on this. I get that an MP7 is a rare gun as it is, but wondering if an SOT ever decided to cut one up and attempt a semi-auto, civilian legal parts kit build? I am sure an HK collector would pay ridiculous money for a semi-auto built on legitimate HK parts (I would)

Is this not feasible because of the value of an MP7 on the SOT secondary market? I don't know how much these trade for, and I'm guessing in general these require a demo letter?

·
Registered
777 Posts
LOL you are not teh first and won't be the last.
I asked Tom bostic this a few years ago... the short answer is no. the long answer is no, just with a large number next to it.

edit

I'll elaborate,

1. you need to find a demilled MP7, ever seen one?
2. it needs to be cut perfectly to bring it back into usable condition.
3. you would need tom bostic or some plastic fantastic god to give you okay.
4. how in the hell would you even get the ATF to not shoot your dog when doing this? kidding. from tom directly " ATF is not happy about people cutting up machine guns to bring them back as semi autos".
5. I think we're looking at maybe $25 -30k+ for a Franklin MP7 semi auto build

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I asked Tom bostic this a few years ago... the short answer is no. the long answer is no, just with a large number next to it.

edit

I'll elaborate,

4. how in the hell would you even get the ATF to not shoot your dog when doing this? kidding. from tom directly " ATF is not happy about people cutting up machine guns to bring them back as semi autos".
Long or short… its still a no. Thats a lot of scratch!!!
Thanks for explaining that!
M>

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
If you send me a picture I could Photoshop it for you real cheap then you could send it all your friends say hey look at my MP7.

For a little bit more I can enhance your Johnson in the photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
If you send me a picture I could Photoshop it for you real cheap then you could send it all your friends say hey look at my MP7.

For a little bit more I can enhance your Johnson in the photo.

Yeah... The only one a civi will have access to is gonna have an orange tip. (The MP7... Not the Johnson)

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
I spoke with a builder who currently is making some very nice clone receivers a month or so ago. I will not mention any names. He is planning on a MP7 clone in 4.6 . There is no timeline for completion. I did say I would definitely buy a couple if he made them. So someone is working on making it happen.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I spoke with a builder who currently is making some very nice clone receivers a month or so ago. I will not mention any names. He is planning on a MP7 clone in 4.6 . There is no timeline for completion. I did say I would definitely buy a couple if he made them. So someone is working on making it happen.
Lesbian honest we all know who said builder is. It’s been a long time in the works.

Hopefully the ATF doesn’t pull the old switcharoo again 3 years after they approve the design again and consider it a FA resulting in a full recall.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Lesbian honest we all know who said builder is. It’s been a long time in the works.

Hopefully the ATF doesn’t pull the old switcharoo again 3 years after they approve the design again and consider it a FA resulting in a full recall.

He is way too slammed doing all the recalls and then the backlog of all his money making stuff to really do anything on a MP7 clone. And yes… the ATF will more than likely pull their switch-a-roo on him AGAIN… if they ever approve it.
it would really be nice and I would be interested…. Especially if he does it in an available caliber, but I wont hold my breath on it.
M.

·
Registered
46 Posts

edit

I'll elaborate,

I don't buy #4. Otherwise how come so many AK, FAL, HK, Uzi, Sten, and other parts kits have been imported and are available for sale from numerous dealers?

Sure it may be an issue if a SOT is obtaining demo letters under false pretenses, but if they decide to demill/destroy their MG later, all they have to do is follow regulations for demilling the receiver. Then it's just scrap and they are free to do as they please.

Now supposing one did have a parts kit, of course it ain't going to be easy, but don't underestimate the innovation of people in the industry who have the knowledge and tools.

We have had builders reverse engineer guns like the VSS Vintorez, Bizon, Groza, AR 70/90, FG42, CETME-L and produce functional prototypes, reproduction parts kits and receivers, and even complete guns. It's all a question of time, money, and dedication - when you have sufficient quantities of each, results are indeed possible, granted the ceiling may be high.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I don't buy #4. Otherwise how come so many AK, FAL, HK, Uzi, Sten, and other parts kits have been imported and are available for sale from numerous dealers?

Sure it may be an issue if a SOT is obtaining demo letters under false pretenses, but if they decide to demill/destroy their MG later, all they have to do is follow regulations for demilling the receiver. Then it's just scrap and they are free to do as they please.

Now supposing one did have a parts kit, of course it ain't going to be easy, but don't underestimate the innovation of people in the industry who have the knowledge and tools.

We have had builders reverse engineer guns like the VSS Vintorez, Bizon, Groza, AR 70/90, FG42, CETME-L and produce functional prototypes, reproduction parts kits and receivers, and even complete guns. It's all a question of time, money, and dedication - when you have sufficient quantities of each, results are indeed possible, granted the ceiling may be high.
easy, please see #1. never seen an MP7 parts kits. hell, how many MP7s do you even see for sale? they come and go every few months and go for $50K+. For a civi to have an MP7 kit would be mad suspicious and them alphabet boys would be looking a your dog mad sus like.

at this point, ill even revise my #5 point bu saying you'd be looking at AT LEAST $30k if, and only if you could source a kit.

but in all honesty, the only company that I know that ever claimed to be interested in making a civi MP7 was GSG9 not the German feds mind you, they guys that make g36 parts etc. they wanted to but got trolled and then they bailed. could it be done? maybe im no lawyer and patents, design blah blah blah, but Tom bos tic makes US G36's and UMP's so maybe.

·
Registered
46 Posts
easy, please see #1. never seen an MP7 parts kits. hell, how many MP7s do you even see for sale? they come and go every few months and go for $50K+. For a civi to have an MP7 kit would be mad suspicious and them alphabet boys would be looking a your dog mad sus like.

at this point, ill even revise my #5 point bu saying you'd be looking at AT LEAST $30k if, and only if you could source a kit.

but in all honesty, the only company that I know that ever claimed to be interested in making a civi MP7 was GSG9 not the German feds mind you, they guys that make g36 parts etc. they wanted to but got trolled and then they bailed. could it be done? maybe im no lawyer and patents, design blah blah blah, but Tom bos tic makes US G36's and UMP's so maybe.
That's not the point I have an issue with. I already know MP7's are extremely rare.

I took issue with the statement you quoted from Tom Bostic, implying that the ATF was going to take action against individuals demilling MGs; when in fact demilled MGs/parts kits are very common here and quite a few members on this board have had guns built from such kits, myself included.

Again, if an MG is lawfully transferred and lawfully demilled, the ATF has no grounds to intervene.

·
Registered
777 Posts
That's not the point I have an issue with. I already know MP7's are extremely rare.

I took issue with the statement you quoted from Tom Bostic, implying that the ATF was going to take action against individuals demilling MGs; when in fact demilled MGs/parts kits are very common here and quite a few members on this board have had guns built from such kits, myself included.

Again, if an MG is lawfully transferred and lawfully demilled, the ATF has no grounds to intervene.
just what Tom wrote to me. Also, considering the current state of the ATF who’s to say they won’t just show up anyway?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts