HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the LWRC enhanced milsped trigger right now left over from a rifle I sold that I had put the Geissele Tricon trigger on. I think I may need to upgrade that trigger for something with a slightly better break -it's about a 5lbs trigger. I just looked st the list of compatible triggers - I have Geissele SD-Es on all my other rifles and really like the straight trigger design. I'm having trouble justifying spending over $400 on the Geissele HK 416 and am considering the JP EZ Armageddon trigger - any recommendations or suggestions?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing to do is check the list maintained here by montrala that shows which triggers work, and which do not.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk416-hk...16-mr556-mr223-compatible-trigger-groups.html

After that it's really a personal choice. For a fighting rifle, I think the stock trigger is actually pretty damn okay.
As I said in my post, I looked at the list of compatible triggers. I have a MR556 upper kit on an Anderson lower I built and put the LWRC milspec enhanced trigger group that I had on hand in that lower. I have used and like the Geissele triggers but the price tag on the Geissele HK trigger is about twice what I paid for my SD-Es and I am having a hard time justifying that. I'm asking for any input the JP EZ Armageddon trigger. I'm also considering the ALG trigger. I'm setting up this rifle for hunting hogs, predators and varmints not in the military anymore so hopefully wont need to use this as a fighting rifle!

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
I feel that the ALG trigger won't be any better than your LWRC trigger.

Look at the Wilson Combat TTU-M2 trigger, it is an amazing trigger, works with he MR556 upper, and costs much less than the Geissele.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Sorry, I misunderstood. I don't know why the Geissele MR556 trigger is so much more expensive.

I do have a RECCE gun with an ALG ACT trigger in it, and even though it's a single stage, I gotta say I like it a lot. The break is fantastic. I do think the lock time is slower.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Any Geissele AR FCG can be used with the MR556 upper if you're willing to bypass the firing pin safety.

There are several ways to do this, including simply punching the FPS out, however, the least obtrusive way I have found is to simply use an AR15 firing pin that has been modified to be compatible with the HK bolt face, which is thicker than that that of the AR15.

The way the FPS is designed on the HK, the FPS "catches" the fat end of the HK firing pin unless a tall enough hammer pushes the FPS out of the way during the ignition stroke. The end of an AR15 firing pin is small enough to bypass the FPS entirely, and therefore does not require a hammer that will activate the FPS during the firing cycle. This allows you to use any standard AR FCG, including non-HK compatible Geisseles as well as Colt notched hammers (I had to figure this all out because my only SBR lowers at the time were Colt .170 FCG lowers, and there weren't very many good HK-compatible FCGs that also came in the large-pin FCG configuration).

The advantage of the modified AR15 firing pin is that it requires no modifications to the original components, just a spare AR15 firing pin to grind on. However, if you choose this method, you must do so with full knowledge that you're not only bypassing the built-in firing pin safety, but you cannot use the firing pin spring, either, you would be "returning" to a free-floating firing pin design like in a standard AR15.

The HK upper, is not, of course, a "standard AR15," however--and the action is a bit more violent than that of the AR, and the FPS and FP return spring were added to reduce the chances of a slam-fire (the early Colt R601 AR15 variant had similar problems with early "fat head" firing pins, which were later replaced with the modern, lighter pin). The violence of the action is also supposedly why the Geissele HK-compatible FCGs are more expensive (besides much smaller economies of scale) than the standard AR ones, they are supposed to be specially heat-treated and hardened to be more durable in the HK system.

So--since there is no Geissele HK-compatible flat bow FCG, you have an option. I cannot tell you whether or not you should do so--what I can tell you is that so far, I have had no problem with a standard (large pin) SSA and my 10.4" MR556 upper, both suppressed and unsuppressed, with a plugged (not vented) gas block, and HK factory spring and buffer, which is supposedly one of the "harshest" configurations. Jon Canipe also supposedly used a 10.4" HK416 upper with closed gas block with a Geissele SSA (he removed the FPS) for quite a bit, again, suppressed and unsuppressed, and did not report significant problems:

Canipe Correspondence - Retiring My 416 - Soldier Systems Daily

~Augee

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info - my head tells me go with the Wilson TTU M2, but I've been using Geissle so long I am finding hard not to get another one. I'll see how good my bonus is next week and make a decision!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also I am not willing to mess with the firing pin safety in the HK - glad I know the options but not comfortable with that right now.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
I removed the safety on the BCG for the firing pin to try the SSA-E from Geissele vs their HK specific trigger. I like the feel of the SSA-E better, bit put it all back when I was done testing.

I wish Geissele had an adjustable for the HK MR rifles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts