HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it was a slow day at work, & the UPS guy shows up with a rifle box. This happens every day, but inside was a new MR 7.62 rifle. Real nice, but WTF's up with the 10 rd mag? Why couldn't they have made the gun work with the $1 HK 91 mag, or even the P-mag, as either is readily available, & holds 20 rds? Major bummer, so how much will the 20 rd mag cost? GARY N4KVE

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Congrats on the new toy. You might want to look in the HK416/417 section as that's where the MR related threads are.

On the mag situation, the 20 rounders used to sell for about $75 a year or two ago, but the new prices for new ones are over $100. Sometimes you can get a better deal on someone selling used ones, but you are still proably looking at at least $60+. On why they didn't make it take G3 or P-mags, I suspect it's because they were making a civilian version of the HK417 and the 417 doesn't take those mags either. The MR556 doesn't take Pmags either. I can imagine HK wasn't interested in spending all the R&D costs to redesign the lower and test it just to take some other mags. Instead they stuck with their proven reliable design.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,806 Posts
Or just maybe it has something to do with a silly ATF regulation?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats on the new toy.

On the mag situation, the 20 rounders used to sell for about $75 a year or two ago, but the new prices for new ones are over $100.
I didn't buy it, the gunstore where I work did. Same hi dollar mag situation as the 7.62 Scar. Too much money. GARY N4KVE

·
11,806 Posts
10 round mag. Imported weapons are governed by 922(r)... yes, that again. Mag capacities over 10 shipping with certain imported semi-auto weapons are considered ebil. They, of course, can be sold separately under the proviso that making/assembling such a weapon with the ebil mag is a violation, while possessing it is not. I cannot speak to the Pmags (or Emags) issue, but I do know that several manufacturers have attempted to create a DI or piston AR style system in .308 that will accept the plentiful and inexpensive G3 mags. Sadly, there's just too much variance in tolerances on G3 mags for that platform to be market-reliable. The roller lock systems will take a lot more play.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I assumed that the MR762 has enough US parts to avoid 922r, like the MR556 which comes with an all-German 30 round mag. It certainly comes with enough non-sporting features like an adjustable butt stock, pistol grip, and flash hider, that it seems like limiting the mag to only 10 rounds wouldn't make it any more "sporting". Even HK says on their MR762 page that it uses the same 10-round and 20 round mags as the HK417 and the specification page lists both 10 and 20 round mags, so they seem to be saying that using 20 rounders is OK. It seems like HK could be inviting legal liability if they say using a 20 round mag is OK (it's in the manual too), when the truth is that using a 20 rounder would cause the user to be in violation of federal law. Didn't think HK hates us THAT much. Also, unlike on the SL8, this didn't modify the gun so it only takes a special 10 round mag. Just find it difficult to believe this is the reason.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My 556 came w/ a 10rd mag, talk about anti-climatic when I opened the case for the first time. I thought for the cash that I paid for it I would get at least a couple of 30 rd's. :8:

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
My 556 came w/ a 10rd mag, talk about anti-climatic when I opened the case for the first time. I thought for the cash that I paid for it I would get at least a couple of 30 rd's. :8:
It sounds like somehow you got one intended for a state with mag capacity limits. Mine came with a 30 round mag, as did many of the others here who got one.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I was also under the impression that the 762 and 556 were already 922(r) compliant, having been assembled in the U.S. with limited foreign parts. The receivers and barrel are domestic, aren't they? The parts I'm fairly certain of being imported would be the piston, op rod, bolt and trigger parts. That's 6-7 pieces (depeding on if there's a disconnector in the FCG), leaving them room for 3-4 more parts to cover the 3 magazine components, buttstock, handguard, or muzzle brake.

That's just the applicable parts list I can pull off the top of my head. I could be missing something.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
The first cut of MR762 test rifles took the G3 mags. There is one in the Grey Room. I am told HK did not pursue it because they could not get a BHO to work with them.

From my understanding, the G36 Emags from Magpul were finally developed only because of the Saudi HK contract for the G36 for which they placed the order with Magpul. So we probably won't be seeing an HK417/MR762 Magpul mag unless a very large demand develops.

·
11,806 Posts
dwill...
The only offense occurs at the making/assembly nexus. Possession is not illegal. As long as it is not shipped that way, no problem. I know that the MR556 qualifies as US made, so 922(r) does not apply. I never even bothered to check on the official status of the MR762.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts