HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After long and eventful series of events I finally have my MR556 back together!

Back in early February I sent my MR556 barrel off to Marvin Pitts (Nefarious Arms) to get reprofiled to the 416 "light" profile, chopped down to 14.7, and pinned with my Rugged R3 flash suppressor. I was given a rough estimate of a 3 week turnaround time.

This is where things got stressful. I originally listed cerakote as my refinish option, but when I called three weeks later to check on the status of my barrel Marvin informed me that nitriding was a finish option so I decided to go with that instead. He also told me he hadn't had a chance to touch it yet so it would be another 3 weeks.

So at this point I thought no big deal as I am getting the finish I really wanted. After 3 weeks I hadn't heard anything then another 3 weeks go by then another and another. That's when I got some bad news.

When they sent the barrel off for refinishing they accidentally forgot to include the updated preference of nitriding so it got cerakoted instead. I was informed that it would be sent back and corrected right away.

Finally, after 6 months right after the July 4th weekend I was notified that my barrel had shipped. But when it arrived I was disappointed again. The wrong muzzle device had been pinned to my barrel. When I sent in the barrel I left on the original compensator because I couldn't get it off. So somehow they missed my Rugged flash suppressor and pinned the comp.

When I called them back they told me that they would correct it, refund my shipping, and return it to me in a few days. But, after waiting a couple weeks I found out that they had accidentally shipped my flash suppressor to the wrong customer, a customer that was deployed overseas. They couldn't get it back and they couldn't find me a replacement in stock.

I eventually found one and sent them the link. They pinned it on and shipped it back within a week and I finally got it back today.

I understand that Marvin is a one man operation, but this has been a nightmare. With that being said his work is top notch and I am so excited to finally have it back.

Here is the finished product.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Sounds like they still took care of you and made it right, I would rather something be right than quick. Stuff happens sometimes, and in the worlds of HK and NFA stuff, waiting seems to be the name of the game. I would like to know where you found that rugged flash hider, I might have to PM you...

Shockwave

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Looks great! Did you weigh it prior to installation?

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah they always attempted to make it right so I can't fault them there. The setbacks almost started to get expected though. The form 4 I filed after I sent off the upper actually took less time... Oh well I am finally happy now.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice! Love the handguard! Thanks for sharing pics!
Thanks man! I though about SBRing this one and going 10.5, but I already had the Geissele handguard and I liked the longer length. Also, I like the ability to easily take this one across state lines for carbine classes and such.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It is a bit thinner. The light profile is found on the OTB uppers.

Many thanks MB for sharing this. I'm looking for some guidance, any pros and cons with going for yours (light profile) vs a .720' contour?

I would love all the weight savings I can attain and not give up accuracy etc. for under 300 yards which would be my use on this HK barrel project

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is a bit thinner. The light profile is found on the OTB uppers.

Many thanks MB for sharing this. I'm looking for some guidance, any pros and cons with going for yours (light profile) vs a .720' contour?

I would love all the weight savings I can attain and not give up accuracy etc. for under 300 yards which would be my use on this HK barrel project

Well today I took it and shot at 300 yards and I saw no reduction in accuracy. I was getting 1.5-2 MOA five shot groups with a 4 power optic and some 62 gr. Speer GoldDot and I am sure a better shooter could get better. I decided to forgo the M203 cuts in front of the gas black to ensure barrel rigidity. It is basically a government profile now. It definitely much lighter than before, but there is still a lot of weight out front with a suppressor attached.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well today I took it and shot at 300 yards and I saw no reduction in accuracy. I was getting 1.5-2 MOA five shot groups with a 4 power optic and some 62 gr. Speer GoldDot and I am sure a better shooter could get better. I decided to forgo the M203 cuts in front of the gas black to ensure barrel rigidity. It is basically a government profile now. It definitely much lighter than before, but there is still a lot of weight out front with a suppressor attached.
This is great info, thank you very much for helping me make my recontour profile decision MB. 416 light profile it is :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Well today I took it and shot at 300 yards and I saw no reduction in accuracy. I was getting 1.5-2 MOA five shot groups with a 4 power optic and some 62 gr. Speer GoldDot and I am sure a better shooter could get better.
Accuracy-wise, you would benefit from getting more magnification. As for the whole setup, could you identify the hand-stop on the rail?

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Accuracy-wise, you would benefit from getting more magnification. As for the whole setup, could you identify the hand-stop on the rail?
I'm sure I would, but a 1-4 power is all I had with me. I plan on running an Aimpoint on it most of the time anyway. It is an impact weapon systems handstop. They make one specifically for the HK Geissele rail, but this is actually one designed for Magpul MOE handguards. I was able to make it fit fine and DSG has them on clearance for 10 bucks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
280 Posts
After long and eventful series of events I finally have my MR556 back together!

Back in early February I sent my MR556 barrel off to Marvin Pitts (Nefarious Arms) to get reprofiled to the 416 "light" profile, chopped down to 14.7, and pinned with my Rugged R3 flash suppressor. I was given a rough estimate of a 3 week turnaround time.

This is where things got stressful. I originally listed cerakote as my refinish option, but when I called three weeks later to check on the status of my barrel Marvin informed me that nitriding was a finish option so I decided to go with that instead. He also told me he hadn't had a chance to touch it yet so it would be another 3 weeks.

So at this point I thought no big deal as I am getting the finish I really wanted. After 3 weeks I hadn't heard anything then another 3 weeks go by then another and another. That's when I got some bad news.

When they sent the barrel off for refinishing they accidentally forgot to include the updated preference of nitriding so it got cerakoted instead. I was informed that it would be sent back and corrected right away.

Finally, after 6 months right after the July 4th weekend I was notified that my barrel had shipped. But when it arrived I was disappointed again. The wrong muzzle device had been pinned to my barrel. When I sent in the barrel I left on the original compensator because I couldn't get it off. So somehow they missed my Rugged flash suppressor and pinned the comp.

When I called them back they told me that they would correct it, refund my shipping, and return it to me in a few days. But, after waiting a couple weeks I found out that they had accidentally shipped my flash suppressor to the wrong customer, a customer that was deployed overseas. They couldn't get it back and they couldn't find me a replacement in stock.

I eventually found one and sent them the link. They pinned it on and shipped it back within a week and I finally got it back today.

I understand that Marvin is a one man operation, but this has been a nightmare. With that being said his work is top notch and I am so excited to finally have it back.

Here is the finished product.

Sorry you had a bad experience with us
We really want to provide the best quality available and get the jobs turned around as soon as we can
Mistakes happen but we want you to know that we will do our best to correct them
I cant always control my timelines but I do have control of the quality

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry you had a bad experience with us
We really want to provide the best quality available and get the jobs turned around as soon as we can
Mistakes happen but we want you to know that we will do our best to correct them
I cant always control my timelines but I do have control of the quality
I wouldn't call it a bad experience, just a bit frustrating. I am very satisfied with the finished product and I would not refrain from recommending your services to others. Thank you for making things right.

·
Vendor
280 Posts
I wouldn't call it a bad experience, just a bit frustrating. I am very satisfied with the finished product and I would not refrain from recommending your services to others. Thank you for making things right.
I appreciate that. let us know how we can help in the future.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts